• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:42 AM

http://www.sky.com/s...1207299,00.html

South Eastern and Thameslink train services were among those hit by the wintry conditions, while some major routes in Kent suffered closure or lane closure.

Hastings, Ramsgate, Dover and Ashford were among Kent towns affected by rail disruption. No bus replacement services ran as road conditions were too poor.

More travel chaos is predicted as temperatures plunge to as low as -10C overnight.

Whenever there is a news story on warm weather, such as floods or hurricanes, we are always told how this is caused by global warming. But why is it that when we have stories on extreme cold, there is no mention of global warming causing this, too? One might almost think that news was being pushed with a political slant whenever there's a flood or a hurricane.

Hmmm....

-Ogami

#2 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:54 AM

Actually, colder weather for central and northern Europe and the nearby islands is one of the expected outcomes of global warming...

#3 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:34 AM

Ah, but the article doesn't ram Global Warming down our throats, the way ANY news story on a flood or hurricane does. I guess they forgot to follow the politically-correct mantra. :p

#4 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:58 PM

I'm a little hazy on this except that Global Warming causes extreme weather conditions...but aren't we also in the throws of an ice age?

Anyways- it IS FREEZING here, i'm shivering as we speak, but it is nonetheless of continual embarrassment to me that our country's transportation systems collapse in a pit of helpless and pathetic dysfunctionality the second a dusting of snow hits our little island :rolleyes: I'm sure Canada and North America, Iceland, Russia and Ukraine among countless others could teach us something about dealing with a bit of snow.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#5 scruffylookin

scruffylookin

Observer

• Islander
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:07 PM

One of the theories is that Global Warming is shifting the gulf stream warm water current flow across the Atlantic to the UK and the scandanavian countries.  It is possible for the flow to be circumvented churning in a shorter faster loop thus not reaching the UK.  This would being on a climactic change for the region based on oceanic currents and flow.
"

wise words to contemplate...

"...you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view." - Obi Wan Kenobi

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away..." Unknown (If you know, email me. Possibly dominique,eugene nicole?)

"The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed." -Carl Jung

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." --Mark Twain--

#6 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:17 PM

SparkyCola wrote:

I'm sure Canada and North America, Iceland, Russia and Ukraine among countless others could teach us something about dealing with a bit of snow.

Actually, I read a recent article on the long-term effect of salting roads during wintertime. Apparently the runoff from all the salt will eventually make the land unlivable. So even road salt has consequences.

#7 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:19 PM

hmm, interesting. How about Grit?

We get round to gritting/salting the roads and pavements eventually but the trains are a big problem, same with aeroplanes...

I wonder how Iceland, Canada and Russia deal with these problems though - incidentally Britain doesn't get extreme weather very often at ALL- why then, are our roads SO INCREDIBLY BAD?!! Soon we'll all need monster-trucks to drive at all in the countryside! So annoys me, what is it we pay road tax for when our roads look like several meteorites have bombarded them from space? :glare:

Sparky

#8 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:36 AM

SparkyCola, on Dec 29 2005, 11:58 AM, said:

I'm a little hazy on this except that Global Warming causes extreme weather conditions...but aren't we also in the throws of an ice age?

Anyways- it IS FREEZING here, i'm shivering as we speak, but it is nonetheless of continual embarrassment to me that our country's transportation systems collapse in a pit of helpless and pathetic dysfunctionality the second a dusting of snow hits our little island :rolleyes: I'm sure Canada and North America, Iceland, Russia and Ukraine among countless others could teach us something about dealing with a bit of snow.

Sparky

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, parts of the US could. On the other hand, you have Atlanta and Washington DC, which react to snow with all the calm reason and level headedness you find in the 3 Stooges marathon. Unless a place gets snow frequently, it's going to cause problems.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#9 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:18 AM

We don't need Global Warming constantly repeated on our news because we ACCEPT that it is happening. We signed up to all sorts of protocols and our Government keeps saying that it is committed to reducing carbon dioxide emissions.

Here in the British Isles we are well aware of the increasing dilution of the Gulf Stream by fresh water from the melting permafrost and arctic icepack, and know that what has made this Sceptred Isle so special is under a threat that we cannot do anything about. So, in our own unique way, we keep a stiff upper lip and carry on.

Unlike in the US where the people are awake and aware but it seems that your Government is reluctant to admit Global Warming it is happening because business 'might suffer'. :rolleyes:
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#10 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:52 AM

your Government is reluctant to admit Global Warming it is happening because business 'might suffer'. 

Well, that's almost it.  It's the Bush administration and the oil-company scientists that won't admit that climate change is occuring (to the extent that they are different, of course.  Dick Cheney still won't tell us which Big Oil execs wrote the administration's energy policy.)  To hell with the chicken in every pot; what they want is three SUV's in every garage.
Posted Image

#11 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:04 AM

Waterpanther wrote:

It's the Bush administration and the oil-company scientists that won't admit that climate change is occuring (to the extent that they are different, of course.

That and the U.S. Senate, which voted 95-0 against ratifying the Kyoto Accords after Bill Cilnton signed it. 95-0 does not include Bush, of course.

-Ogami

#12 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:28 AM

Bush, of course, has had no opportunity to sign the Kyoto Treaty since.   :p   It was his reps, not Clinton's,  who stormed out of the recent Montreal conference on climate change when they didn't get their way.  

I have to say that I marvel at the conservative assumption that all history stops with Bill Clinton and that nothing has changed since he left the Presidency.  He really isn't Appolyon, you know, just an immensely popular, intelligent and capable (if flawed)  ex-President who makes his successor look correspondingly small in comparison.
Posted Image

#13 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:07 AM

So you believe Bill Clinton signed intent on Kyoto, without knowing that the Senate would refuse to ratify it. This would have the effect of making Clinton look all-caring, even though he knew Kyoto didn't stand the slightest chance of making it past the Senate.

Sorry Waterpanther, you cannot claim that a President would not know which way the Senate would vote one way or the other on something he signed like that. Pretend if you want, but Bill Clinton's presidency was defined as one giant photo-op, with zero substance to show for it. And his signing of Kyoto (knowing it would never be enacted) is a perfect example of an empty, shallow disgrace of a man.

-Ogami

#14 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:53 PM

Basicaly, I think that most "lay people" see heating/hot weather as = Global Warming. It would take time and energy to explain to the shocked masses that COLD is an effect as well. Its just easier to leave the whole "Global Warming is killing us" bit out when its cold involved, cos people associate Gobal Warming with heat.

Sparky - two opposing theories. Some say the "Ice Age" is being induced by Global Warming, others say the signs or Global Warming are, infact, an Ice Age.
Posted Image

#15 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:30 AM

I was under the impression that regardless of Global Warming, an Ice Age occurs every so many years anyhow - otherwise what about the last ice age? How was that connected to Global Warming?

Sparky

#16 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:55 AM

Ogami--

Since when is doing the right thing, even though you know others will do the wrong thing, a moral failing?  I remain amazed at the logical contortions of the apparently still ongoing effort to "get" President Clinton.

Edited to add:

It would take time and energy to explain to the shocked masses that COLD is an effect as well. Its just easier to leave the whole "Global Warming is killing us" bit out when its cold involved, cos people associate Gobal Warming with heat.

At this time last year, there was a post claiming that global warming was bunk because it was snowing in South Texas at Christmas.  Just in case anyone's interested in a follow-up, we're expecting a high of 90 today and tomorrow in the Rio Grande Valley, and that is 20 degrees and more above normal.

Edited by waterpanther, 31 December 2005 - 09:59 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:49 AM

It's the Day After Tomorrow!

#18 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:51 AM

Unless a place gets snow frequently, it's going to cause problems.

This is true.

Ogami- lol, yeah. That was a pretty bad, very cheesy film though >.< (sorry if you loved it...the graphics were good..)

Sparky

#19 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:55 AM

My brother and I got a big laugh out of that movie. Especially over the premise that after the American president (a Dick Cheney lookalike) admits America was to blame for freezing the world with our SUVs, he then thanks the third world countries for taking us in as refugees. They would have hacked to death all of the Americans with machetes as soon as he made that ridiculous admission. Heh.

-Ogami

#20 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:58 AM

Waterpanther wrote:

Since when is doing the right thing, even though you know others will do the wrong thing, a moral failing?

Sorry, I apparently have a better memory than you. I remember Bush's first year goodwill tour through Europe, where hundreds of thousands of America-haters turned up to protest Bush in every European city he visited. Their main reason for these protests? Because Bush gave his honest answer over why he wouldn't sign Kyoto, the same answer that 95 to 0 Senators gave Bill Clinton.

Waterpanther conveniently forgets, but at the same time, Bill Clinton also conducted his own "goodwill" tour across Europe, getting the accolades of someone who "cares" about the environment, despite having to do zip about greenhouse emissions. Bill Clinton was all about positioning himself as the all-caring, all-compassionate jerk, and to heck with reality. Bush gave his honest answer on Kyoto, and was excoriated for it. Clinton lied, and was hailed as the lying hero he was to the left.

-Ogami

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Climate Change, Science, Weather, Winter in UK, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users