• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 12:02 PM

Why should government be involved.  Some fledgling company will find a way to do the job cheaper and more efficiently and will become the next big powerhouse "new" energy company.  If you wait for the government to do something, you're in for a long, long wait.  Ruling by committee rarely gets things accomplished fast, and compromise doesn't work too well when a dollar is on the line.

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#42 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

As far as I'm concerned, there IS a single solution, and it's getting over our silly simpleminded irrational prejudicial fear of nuclear power, whether it's derived from incomparable irrelevant situations like Chernobyl or just the philosophical sour taste of the technology's relationship to nuclear weapons. Environmentalists are working AGAINST the environment when they work against the only energy source we know and can really use that is both abundant and spectacularly clean.

Jets can't fly without burning fuel, and I don't know if propellers can be driven fast enough by electric motors for a plane to fly, but at least converting to non-fuel-burning energy sources would reduce our fuel-burning to airplanes only. (OK, those and our decorative candles and traditional fires like bonfires, campfires, and barbecues, all of which really don't add up to much.)

Solar panels on home roofs, skyscraper sides and tops, and vehicles would also be a spiffy extra. It's not enough to run on that alone and probably never will be, but it could decrease the burden on other sources.

But ending our use of fossil fuels for energy would still not end our contribution to global warming, because we still have farms where forests would have been. And the only way to fix that is going to be a substantial reduction in the human population.

#43 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

well if my country screws it up I'm headed to beautiful Iceland - they can handle it.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#44 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Jan 1 2006, 03:41 PM, said:

Now while these issues may be minor in comparison  to fossil fuels they do exist and people need to understand there is no perfect solution.  Myself Iím more of a fan of hydroelectric power.  In a state like New York, we have a huge number of preexisting dams that could be retrofitted with hydroelectric generating capabilities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the main problem with wind is that it's massively inefficent in terms of space used. Last time I checked it takes ~13,000 wind turbines to generate as much electricity as a single 555-megawatt natural gas fired power plant.
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#45 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 01:12 PM

I would say the problems of obscuring historical views are paled in comparisom with the prospect of a human-induced ice age.

Basicaly, something HAS to be down NOW. Nuclear power, wind power, solar power, a combination! These things do so little damage, with the exception of aesthetic damage which, if carefuly controlled, could be reversed.

This is why I hate humanity. There may be a natural ice age on the way, but we sure are helping it along. And even if we are not, we are polluting the atmosphere, cases of athsma are rising, we are destroying landscapes and habitats. Why we cant just put our selfish desires for an easier, cheaper, faster lifestyle aside and actualy look at the destruction we are causing.
Posted Image

#46 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

Many people have but easier is a relative thing. Take China where you have 1.2 billion people with most of them living in what would be in the US the most extreme poverty before the economic growth of the last twenty years that has had such environmental costs. To raise the living standard of everyone on the planet, all 6+ billion of them takes land for them to live on, rescources to supply them with food and water and shelter and something for them to do to maintain this standard of living and balancing those needs with maintaining your environment is something that every country and every community has to deal with around the world. It isn't just a case of the developed world wanting more and better although that is there as well but of the developing nations gaining access to a better standard of living, with medical care and enough money to ward off malnutrition.
Even assuming no friction between human groups it still requires certain minimums of food, water and shelter for them to survive and many want more than that basic minimum. Many people want families and to keep thier family line going and unless you have strict control like in China limiting families to one child population will grow. Economic growth tends to lower fertility as seen in the developed world but you still need the rescources to generate that economic growth.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#47 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:25 PM

Well, when faced with being enveloped by an ice age, I would say its worth a shot.
Posted Image

#48 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:50 AM

View PostTalkie Toaster, on Jan 1 2006, 05:49 PM, said:

I think the main problem with wind is that it's massively inefficent in terms of space used. Last time I checked it takes ~13,000 wind turbines to generate as much electricity as a single 555-megawatt natural gas fired power plant.

But it's pretty much always there.

Natural gas won't be. Then you'll have to find something else to make gas out of.
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#49 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:52 AM

View PostChakotay, on Jan 2 2006, 09:50 AM, said:

But it's pretty much always there.

Natural gas won't be. Then you'll have to find something else to make gas out of.

Actually, wind energy isn't always there- it can be pretty unreliable. Electricity produced on windy days cannot be stored for use during calm periods. That means expensive gas-fired power plants must serve as backup, standing idle most of the time, but ready to kick in whenever the wind dies down. Otherwise brownouts and blackouts disrupt whatever depends on the wind-generated electricity. Wind is a good supplement to nuclear, hydro, coal, gas or oil power - especially if you have the geography for it- but itís not an alternative.
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#50 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:41 AM

Very true. Persoanly, I think Nuclear is the best way to go for the time being. It can be supplemented with solar and wind etc. Until a more permanent solution is devised it is a good option but we need to stop using fossil fuels ASAP. We cant wait until the perfect solution presents itself.

What these politicians dont seem to realise is that if we carry on, we are going to ruin this planet. That means no more sustainable and stable human life... it may be a long way off but we are helping it along.
Posted Image

#51 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:45 AM

What's the weather in Britain usually like, anyway? I keep hearing conflicting reports that it's always warm and that the winters are icy and snowy.

#52 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:50 AM

Always warm?? I wish.

Spring - grey skies, cool, rain, some sunny days but usualy chilly
Spring/Summer - getting warmer, sometimes v hot in April but cooler in May
Summer - Sometimes very sunny and warm/hot. Sometimes dreery.
Summer/Autumn - often warm, sunny
Autumn - sometimes sunny but cooler, getting cold. Grey skies for the most part
Winter - cool and dry, cool and wet, freezing and ice. Snow is a luxury
Winter/Spring - Cold. Grey skies. Rain.
Posted Image

#53 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:32 PM

Ah yes, the great cold of earlier this week :rolleyes:.  As a Canuck I tossed on a jacket and "braved" the cold.  To be fair last Thursday it was cold, misserable, wet and windy (not a day to be outside).  This whole thing has made me realise that it's all about what you're used too.

Lovely warm day today though.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#54 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:38 AM

The north of the UK gets the rain, the south is heavily populated and short of water... so guess where the Government wants to build more houses?

There's not the regular extremes of weather in these Islands  thanks to the Gulf Stream, but it does seem to be changing. Some very hot times in summer, sudden freezes in winter then thaws again, but not so much heavy rain just a low constant dampness
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#55 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:07 PM

http://www.timesdisp...d=1031783767149

http://www.potomacst...s.org/windmills

http://www.mtnhome4u.../windmills.html

These are some differing opinions on Windmills, and a Wind Farm in West Virginia. The site with pictures, the last link, has real and fake pics, but it telss you which are which.
Can't Touch This!!

#56 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:55 PM

Thanks Kosh.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Climate Change, Science, Weather, Winter in UK, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users