• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 12:57 AM

The competition is stiff, but this young woman seems like quite the candidate: http://www.cnn.com/2...t.ap/index.html

Making terrorist threats so a cruise ship would come home early and she could be with her boyfriend?  Yeesh!

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 01:02 AM

:wacko:

Wow!

That's just um...............pretty hard to fathom.

:eek:
Posted Image

#3 Neptunian

Neptunian
  • Islander
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 01:05 AM

Okay... :D

The notes prompted an FBI search for biological, chemical, radiological and explosive weapons, as well as interrogations of 2,400 crew members and passengers.

The young woman's boyfriend, John Brashear, has said she's not a terrorist.

"She's not this kind of person," he said. "To think of her doing something like this is outrageous."

:Oo:   I say he's another candidate.

#4 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 01:07 AM

Stupid girl.  :blink:

But kudos and bravo and all other accolades to her mother for making her learn her lesson!  More parents should do that, IMHO.  Kids learn nothing if Mommy and Daddy bail them out of every stupid mistake they make.  And I'm going to go now, before I start on an off-topic rant. :angel:
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#5 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 01:33 AM

Yes, this girl is pretty dumb.  I should say young woman, but that implies that she's an adult....

Now, I am not a person whol believes that you can blame all your faults on mommy and daddy, but the mother's attitude in the article sounded like: I'm not going to bail her out because that would cost us money and put us in trouble.  It just felt curiously like the same sort of attitude that, writ large, ends up in behavior like her daughter's.  Does she really think her daughter is going to jump bail?  Well, maybe she does have a past criminal record or something.  The article doesn't provide all the details.

Admittedly, I did like the attitude of making her sit in jail for this.  That was an incredibly stupid thing to do, and she'd be a definite winner of a Darwin Award this year is she had ended up accidentially being killed by a SEAL Team in the process of laying her little threats.  Unfortunately, she appears to still be alive and able to keep a boyfriend, even after this, so she might actually breed.  That thought scares me.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#6 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 02:02 AM

ROFL!

Wow, that's amazing....
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#7 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 02:59 AM

I heard about this a the other day, actually. My entire family was snorting at her stupidity. Personally, I think letting her sit in jail is a good idea. She was stupid enough to get herself there, she should stay there.

Bossy

#8 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 03:13 AM

HA!!!

Props to the mom for making her stay in jail.  The little twit seems like she could learn a thing or two about real life.

-Dan

:ninja:
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#9 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 03:15 AM

Let her sit in jail.  I agree with her mother.  This person needs to learn to take responsibility for her actions.  Her mother and family should not have been put in the position of having to bail her out in the first place. She is 20 years of age, she did not have to go on the cruise in the first place.  I'll shut up now before I go off on a rant, as well...
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#10 tallulah

tallulah
  • Islander
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 04:59 AM

It sounds to me like she needs some serious psychological counseling/help.

T.
Three L's and an H.
--The Doctor

Dinner and bondage.  Works for me.
--Margaret, Dr. Who, though, really, it could be anyone

When nice girls learn to respect themselves, they'll always finish first.
--Marin, Men in Trees

#11 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 07:28 AM

Uncle Sid, on May 4 2003, 11:23 PM, said:

That was an incredibly stupid thing to do, and she'd be a definite winner of a Darwin Award this year is she had ended up accidentially being killed by a SEAL Team in the process of laying her little threats.
Agreed.  I can imagine the stir this one caused with the USN.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#12 Julie

Julie
  • Islander
  • 777 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 08:35 AM

Okay yeah, that was definitely stupid.

And I agree with the mother's decision to have the girl stay in jail, but referring to her daughter as "a brat"?  Seems kind of mean... although it's not really fair for me to say so because it's impossible to form any meaningful conclusions from a few quotes.  Still though...

#13 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 08:54 AM

This thread reminded me of some more participants in this competition. The Darwin Awards are old, but updating all the time as people do the weirdest things :eek:

http://www.humormatters.com/darwin.htm :wacko:
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#14 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 08:59 AM

Hrm...

Any comments from more expert than I on maritime law in regards to this?

My first question would be who has jurisdiction? It seems like she's being tried under US Federal Law, but the ship she allegedly committed these crimes on is of a Bahamas registry...

That bit of trivia aside, I hope she gets hung out to dry if she's guilty.

CJ- I wonder if the 'cans were spooling up ready to swing Marines. ;)
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#15 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:00 PM

And here I thought my secret was out.... ;)

But I must say, let her stay in jail a while.

Yeesh, what a dumb thing to do.
cervisiam tene rem specta

#16 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 11:37 PM

Jon: My first question would be who has jurisdiction? It seems like she's being tried under US Federal Law, but the ship she allegedly committed these crimes on is of a Bahamas registry...

Good question on that one.  Initial gut feeling is that it would be a case of turning her over to the vessel’s nation of registry.  I’d also be curious as to how close to US territorial waters the vessel was in and if she was in them.  I’[m not really sure of the legal precedent on this one.  Something for me to ask about in certain “circles”.    

CJ- I wonder if the 'cans were spooling up ready to swing Marines. ;)

“You expect us to swing onboard that “thing” from this “midget”?”  

If she was close enough to shore I’m betting they had a team of SEALs at least ready to fast rope onboard by helicopter.  Otherwise you are back to that slight issue of height.  ;)
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#17 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 12:23 AM

CJ AEGIS, on May 5 2003, 02:27 PM, said:

Good question on that one.  Initial gut feeling is that it would be a case of turning her over to the vessel’s nation of registry.  I’d also be curious as to how close to US territorial waters the vessel was in and if she was in them.  I’[m not really sure of the legal precedent on this one.  Something for me to ask about in certain “circles”.
That's a very good point about territorial waters, I didn't even think of it.

A friend of mine is going on a cruise down to Fiji and various other islands down there, and she got permission from her ship's captain to bring her ham radio equipment aboard and operate. Trick was, she had to get a British license for operating on board ship, a French license for operating in Fiji, but her US license was perfectly good for when they were inside US territorial waters...

Probably a good thing that this "terrorist" does fall into US jurisdiction... Either way, she's gonna be spending some serious time pounding rocks...

Edited by jon3831, 06 May 2003 - 12:24 AM.

WWCELeMD?

#18 Laoise

Laoise

I am bounce around so well

• Islander
  • 714 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 12:28 AM

Julie, on May 5 2003, 12:25 AM, said:

Okay yeah, that was definitely stupid.

And I agree with the mother's decision to have the girl stay in jail, but referring to her daughter as "a brat"?  Seems kind of mean... although it's not really fair for me to say so because it's impossible to form any meaningful conclusions from a few quotes.  Still though...
Maybe the mother is just calling 'em like she sees 'em.  Defiantely sounds like this girl is a brat!  I would certainly not hesitate to call her a brat myself.
Being Liberal means never having to say you're Tory.

#19 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 01:15 AM

Moron  :sarcasm:

Hail All
Aurelius
"If I had all the answers, I'd run for God"
Cpl. Max Klinger, M*A*S*H

#20 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 12:27 AM

She's been indicted.

California woman indicted for cruise ship threats

Kelley Marie Ferguson, 20, of Laguna Hills, Calif., was charged Wednesday with two counts of threatening acts of terrorism, each carrying a maximum sentence of up to 10 years in prison. Her arraignment was set for Monday.

WWCELeMD?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Humor, Dumbest Human

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users