• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:40 AM

I caught the news story about a Mine accident in West Virginia.  Are there any updates
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:55 AM

Here you go from the BBC
http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/4575984.stm

Thirteen coal miners are trapped following an explosion in a mine shaft in the US state of West Virginia.
The blast happened about one mile (1.6km) underground at the Sago Mine in Buckhannon between 0600 and 0630 (1100 and 1130 GMT), local officials said.

Initial attempts to reach the miners were abandoned, but small teams using camera and audio equipment are now inside the mine testing air quality.

Six other men were reported to have escaped from the mine unharmed.

A senior emergency management official in Upshur County, West Virginia, said that immediate rescue efforts had "hit a wall" after a build-up of gas.

But rescuers returned to the mine after the gas had been pumped out, and are trying to determine the men's location.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:51 PM

One hole was drilled through the top of the mine, into the main shaft. A camera was lowered inot the mine, but no miners or bodies. There is an extreamly thin chance that those guys got somewhere out of the fire and explosion, but after this long, with a mine full of Carbon Dioxide, there isn't much of a chance for the guys. Very sad.

The mine was sited by both state and federal inspectors, but not an unusual amount. They were sited for a build up of coal dust, and I suspect that will be the cause of the expolsion. It's been some time since we've had this many people involved in a mine accident.  I used to stop at the Miners Health Saftey and Training office every day, so I knew when someone was killed, but I don't go there now, so I'm a little short of information.
Can't Touch This!!

#4 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:51 PM

This is fromCNN

Rescuers were drilling two holes into the mine in addition to a six-inch hole that was completed earlier Tuesday, said Ben Hatfield, president of International Coal Group, which owns the Sago Mine in Tallmansville, West Virginia.

High levels of toxic carbon monoxide in the mine continue to be the worst danger for the men, he said.

"We all continue to push forward as hard as we can so long as there is hope," he said.

During his initial news conference earlier Tuesday, Hatfield said the carbon monoxide level far exceeds regulatory limits for breathable air. "Therefore we are very discouraged by the results of this test."

The miners were trapped early Monday after an explosion and are believed to be about 260 feet below the surface at the end of an angled shaft about 2 miles long. (Watch what officials said about the level of poisonous gas -- 2:09)

Hatfield also said rescuers on the surface pounded on the drill that bore the first hole into the mine. It was placed in an area where the miners were thought to be at the time of the blast. There was no response.

There has been no contact with the miners since Monday's blast.

Views from a camera dropped through the drill hole were inconclusive, Hatfield said.

"No barricades or survivors were seen, but there was also no evidence of substantial explosion damage to the installed equipment that was in view," Hatfield said.

"We remain determined to continue the search so long as there is hope, and hope remains," he said.

It doesn't sound too promising but like it said in this quote, there is always hope.  

I will be praying for the miners familes

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:34 PM

Once again, I am grateful to my grandfather, who ran away from home to work on the railroad.  He did this after his father, a miner, was brought home in pieces.  When it comes to miners and mine safety, I hope for the best, but I fear the worst.   :(  :(  :(  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:57 PM

I was looking at the local papers, but there isn't anything new.
Can't Touch This!!

#7 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:54 PM

ABC News tonight sounded like they might have an answer soon. They said though that the CO2 measurement was three times what humans could survive.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#8 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:34 PM

Sadly, the first body has been found.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:50 PM

I was really hoping for an outcome like  they had in that Pennsylvania mining accident several years back...where they found a lot of the trapped miners alive after a long period of time

Manchin said some of the drilling equipment being used Tuesday was also used in the July 2002 rescue of nine miners in Somerset, Pennsylvania. Those miners were pulled to safety after being trapped for 77 hours in a flooded mine

They had only days before this particular mine accident been saying that 2005 had been one of the safest ones for miners.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#10 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

Aside from the one death already mentioned I haven't heard anything new either. If anyone was wondering the mine is about an hour and a half away from where I am by interstate.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#11 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:56 PM

Waitin' for more news. . .FoxNews TV is reportin' that the other 12 have been found alive.  

Showin' live footage of the town and talkin' to folk on the phone.  Lookin' for more news.

Cross yer fingers!

ETA:  CNN's reportin' it!  We have 12 live miners!  HOT DAMN!!!!

Edited by Lost Cause, 03 January 2006 - 11:59 PM.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#12 Cyncie

Cyncie

Cool Daddio!

• Islander
  • 689 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:23 AM

What great news! God bless those families!

~Cyn

Goodnight, Sweetheart
Well, it's time to go...

#13 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:28 AM

Holy crap.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:06 AM

Lord bless the men who toil in the underworld. Watch over them and see them safely home when their day is done. I remember that as a holiday prayer at one of my Grandfather's Christmas dinners.

He was a hard rock blaster and man involved in the Miners Unions. He told me and my brother that in the old days a stick of dynamite on a porch was a wake up call. And if you add a shovel of dirt on top of it a Goodbye card.

My Greatgrandfather (Mother's side) was a Coal miner from Tennesse he was a hard man  but caring of his two boys. They had a school teacher who was beating on the children with a razor strap and when he found out he asked his sons. To tell him a message.

You tell that school teacher he has the right to beat on you two boys as long and as hard as he wants. But tell him after I finish in mine that I will come and find him and bring with me a mule whip and give him a beating twice and long and twice hard. So tell him to take it easy on himself.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#15 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:55 AM

Just heard. It was all a LIE.  There is only one survivor and he's in critical condition.

#16 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:31 AM

Boy, someone really mucked that one up.

From the AP:

Families Say 11 of 12 W.Va. Miners Dead By ALLEN G. BREED, Associated Press Writer

TALLMANSVILLE, W.Va. - Family members learned early Wednesday that 11 of the 12 coal miners who were initially thought to have survived an explosion in a coal mine have died.

Families learned of the deaths from mine officials more than three hours after Gov. Joe Manchin said he had been told 12 of the miners survived the disaster. The sole survivor of the disaster was hospitalized, a doctor said.

International Coal Group Chief Executive Officer Ben Hatfield told the families that only one miner, Randal McCloy, had survived the explosion.

Hatfield told the families gathered at the Sago Baptist Church that "there had been a lack of communication, that what we were told was wrong and that only one survived," said John Groves, whose brother Jerry Groves was one of the trapped miners.

At that point, chaos broke out in the church and a fight started.

Edited by RobL, 04 January 2006 - 03:32 AM.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#17 Mel

Mel
  • Islander
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:06 AM

That kind of screw up is just mind-boggling.  I mean, the families had probably braced for the worst, then got what seemed like miraculous news, only to have their joy crushed.  The false hope being crushed has to make their losses feel so much worse.  It's sickening to think about.  I can't imagine living through it.

#18 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:36 AM

It sounds like there was a terrible misunderstanding - the rescuers found twelve, but only one was still alive.

My sympathies to the community. This must have torn the heart out of the whole town.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#19 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:21 AM

View PostMel, on Jan 4 2006, 05:06 AM, said:

That kind of screw up is just mind-boggling.  I mean, the families had probably braced for the worst, then got what seemed like miraculous news, only to have their joy crushed.  The false hope being crushed has to make their losses feel so much worse.  It's sickening to think about.  I can't imagine living through it.

I can't either. How absolutely horrible.

One woman told CNN that the CEO of the company came to the church and told them that all had survived and he'd personally bring them to the church to see their families. He said he'd be back in an hour. Meanwhile, they celebrated. Three hours later, they got the bad news.

What an appalling screw-up. And I bet when they investigate this mine--with its 70-something serious safety violations in the past year--that the Sago mine and the bureaucracies overseeing mine safety are going to be under tremendous fire. Why on earth is a mine allowed to operate with so many serious safety issues? And there were even more the year before.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#20 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:20 AM

oh man :(

Someone needs to be kicked in the ass hard for that foulup.

Edited by D'Monix, 04 January 2006 - 08:25 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: West Virginia, Mine Accident, 2006.Sago MIne

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users