23 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 10:08 AM

Hmmm.

So now we're going to judge based on degree of atrocity.

Tell me something Alistair.

If you had a daughter or son or brother or sister over there and they'd been captured.  Would you be upset to find that AFTER they'd been captured they'd been stripped naked and paraded in the enemy soldiers' camp?

Or is it a different rule because these people happened to be on the side that dared oppose the might and right of the good ole UA of of freakin' A with all its god given right to dispense justice in the world?
Posted Image

#22 Guest-AleisterCrowley-Guest

Guest-AleisterCrowley-Guest

Posted 06 May 2003 - 10:22 AM

It's Aleister.  People cannot walk on me to reach the second or higher stories of a building...well, they could, but it would look silly.

First, we penalize our own citizens based upon degree of atrocity.  I'm sure you studied that somewhere.  As someone pointed out earlier, the " the good ole US of of freakin' A " is calling the shots there, and the penalty could have been worse had another nation been pointing the rifles.

Building on that, assuming the situation of imaginary relatives living there (an exercise I always considered a waste of time), I would rather have this phantom relative paraded in the alltogether than take a bullet in the head.  I'm bumfuzzled...you decide which is worse.

Or is it a different rule because these people happened to be on the side that dared oppose the might and right of the good ole UA of of freakin' A with all its god given right to dispense justice in the world?

As I understood the situation, these individuals were simply looters, not on the side that "dared oppose."  Therefore that statement has no bearing on the argument.

#23 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 10:44 AM

It's Aleister. People cannot walk on me to reach the second or higher stories of a building...well, they could, but it would look silly.

Oopsie.  Sorry.

First, we penalize our own citizens based upon degree of atrocity. I'm sure you studied that somewhere.

And I'm equally sure that you read my post which means you saw I said "judge" and not "penalize".  

As someone pointed out earlier, the " the good ole US of of freakin' A " is calling the shots there, and the penalty could have been worse had another nation been pointing the rifles.

Joy.

So the bully gets to make the rules.

Great comfort that gives me.  Not.

Building on that, assuming the situation of imaginary relatives living there (an exercise I always considered a waste of time), I would rather have this phantom relative paraded in the alltogether than take a bullet in the head. I'm bumfuzzled...you decide which is worse.

I see.  So you assume the choice was between being paraded naked or being shot?

I trust you understand that this sounds either silly or alarming.  Right?

As I understood the situation, these individuals were simply looters, not on the side that "dared oppose." Therefore that statement has no bearing on the argument.

"simply looters"

I think I'll just let you roll that turn of phrase around on your own tongue for a bit and see if, in the light of day, you can really live with the apparant lack of human dignity you think "simply looters" ought to be afforded.

Sleep tight.:)
Posted Image

#24 Guest-AleisterCrowley-Guest

Guest-AleisterCrowley-Guest

Posted 06 May 2003 - 07:29 PM

In regards to "judge" or "penalize,"  if we want to indulge in Semantics[tm], the game anyone can play, being paraded naked sounds like a penalty to me.  If you refer to being the judge, then I would ask who else should play the role?  The Iraqi government?

So the bully gets to make the rules.

Great comfort that gives me. Not.

I'm sorry.  What disturbs you in this scenario more: the fact that Bush got his way, or the fact that these blokes had no chance for hiring a lawyer and indulging in a lengthy appeal process?

I see. So you assume the choice was between being paraded naked or being shot?

Errr...no.  The range of choice could have been broader.  These were the choices mentioned in this thread, but I could have thought of a few more...usually ghastly.

I think I'll just let you roll that turn of phrase around on your own tongue for a bit and see if, in the light of day, you can really live with the apparant lack of human dignity you think "simply looters" ought to be afforded.

Lil!  Quick!  You're bleeding from your chest area!  Get to the doctor, post haste!

My dear Lil.  I'll feel sorry for these gentlemen when you are paraded naked through the streets of San Jose in punishment for the crime of senseless melodrama.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, US troops, Naked Iraqis

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users