69 replies to this topic

#1 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:52 PM

http://www.turnto10....091/detail.html

:angry:
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#2 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:00 PM

On the surface it seems ridiculous, and the judge will be very embarassed if the guy goes out and does it again... however, if we believe that people like this need as much help as they need punishment, but that help will not be provided while the guy is in prison, the only way he is gunna get it is out of prison.

At least if he defies the orders to get counseling then he goes down for life.

The judge assesed the case and believes this is less cold blooded and sick and more dysfunctional... ergo, it is not inate and can be fixed. If that is the case it is perfectly reasonable to enforce the sentance which best allows the man to get better....

I believe that if you profess a system of rehab and solving problems rather than simple crime and punishment then this is the only way to persue that idea in this case.

I must point out that I do not agree with this model... I am just explaining why it is the best option given the judges clear ideology.

Persoanly I want him going down for life NOW.
Posted Image

#3 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:05 PM

I'd give him 60 days in jail, too.  And I'd spend those days building an elaborate, extremely-painful dismemberment-machine to run him through when the 60 days were up.

There's absolutely no reason to keep such people on the planet.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#4 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:33 PM

I had to read the title of this thread four times before clicking as I told myself that I had to be seeing this wrong.....

I don't know how the Vermont Dept of Corrections could decide that this man or any other person is at low risk for doing something like this again.  He did it once and he will most likely do it again to this child or some other child.

There is a large part of me that says counseling or not......let this guy spend a lot longer under....er, in prison.  The lowest form of life in a prison and the most hated by the other inmates is the child rapist.

All I can think about now is that poor child....if she's ten now and he started doing this four years ago....she was just six years old when he started.  

No.... prison is too good for this disgusting man.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:45 PM

FTS!!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

Ok, so...the likelihood of doing something again is a determining factor over sentencing these days?  So, like, if I go out and murder my boss, and being the educated, relatively well off person that I am whose likelihood of murdering anyone else is roughly akin to Martians carrying off the Desperate Housewives for carnal pleasures on Venus...I'll get two weeks?

WHOO HOO!!!!

:whistle:

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:57 PM

View PostEskaminzim, on Jan 5 2006, 01:54 PM, said:

Ok, so...the likelihood of doing something again is a determining factor over sentencing these days?  So, like, if I go out and murder my boss, and being the educated, relatively well off person that I am whose likelihood of murdering anyone else is roughly akin to Martians carrying off the Desperate Housewives for carnal pleasures on Venus...I'll get two weeks?

WHOO HOO!!!!

:whistle:
I've got a little list,
I've got a little list...
They'll none of them be missed,
They'll none of them be missed.

:)  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:00 PM

Given the nature of the crime and the horrible odds for repeat offending, I've got NO sympathy. Lock him up and throw away the key.

Edited by Lin731, 05 January 2006 - 05:02 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

wish I had a P90!
Can't Touch This!!

#10 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

Right so they say his term was short because they were not able to provide treatment for him in the prison environment and it was the only way to get him the treatment. Easy solution, release him to go to the out of prison treatment for the time it takes place and then have him report right back to prison for the rest of the time. That way you can give him thr treatment and punishment at the same time.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#11 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:32 PM

wow I guess that state doesn't have things like Megan's law and the one with that father in the media, Andrea's or whatever that was, but those laws named after girl victims ........ I can't believe they don't do BOTH >>> 15 to 25 in maximum security, then have him get the rehab therapy outside of prison, while he's on parole and probation for 10 years' stretch .
There must be huge penalties for violent crimes against children and minors (teens) .... therapy and corrective must be an also thing not in stead.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#12 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

Completly agree. Let him rot in jail for a good long time and you can throw correction his way afterwards. Persoanaly I say just let him rot.... unless he is claimed to have some "medical" condition or "mental problem" (apart from being sick and twisted) at which point, based on the validity of the claim, you could consider correction.
Posted Image

#13 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:45 PM

IMO.....therapy should be an option within the prison system no matter  whether he is likely to re-offend or not.

I have no sympathy for someone like him.  

none at all.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#14 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:00 PM

The idea that the correction department canít provide the required psychological treatment is just plain bureaucratic BS. :angry:

If I had been the Judge and all things being equal, I would have sentenced him to five to ten years, with a bi-weekly supervised release program for him to go to a shrink.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#15 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:11 PM

I think that instead of a dismembering machine that everybody who wants to simply buy a batch of axe handles and meet him as he leaves the prison.  Then after beating him to death everyone is everyone elses alibi. We did not see anything. We heard nothing. Sad thing that man suddenly dropping dead but we know nothing.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#16 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:27 PM

I can't agree about going that way though G, that makes us no better than he is.

The unfortunate thing about the treatment option is that for this type of abuse the rate of repeat offense is supposedly very high even with treatment.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#17 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:47 PM

emsparks ^ :love: I'm surprised that you would only have given him 5-10 years though :eh:

Schmokie i got so hopeful when I read your post, but hte last lines totally ruined it :rolleyes:

I personally would like to adopt a campaign labelled: Life sentence for LIFE and not just for Christmas :glare:

Because that is one of the things that irritates me the most. That so called 'life sentences' last for like 5 years!! :ranting:

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 05 January 2006 - 07:01 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#18 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

Hey, all I said was I wanted him to have life, just in somewhat frank terms... at least I didnt say kill the Mofo!

And I was very understanding.... I thought ;)
Posted Image

#19 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:18 PM

Yes I thought you did very well all things considered :hugs: I'm so proud of you :happy:

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#20 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:23 PM

Awww  :blush:  I dont know what to say  :hugs:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Punishment

0 user(s) are browsing this forum