I've got a little list,
I've got a little list...
They'll none of them be missed,
They'll none of them be missed.

:)  

Nonny

Nonny, have you ever read, heard of, performed or seen "Star Trek Pinafore?"

Bet it's up your alley.  ;-)
No!  I would love it!  Is this the kind of thing that goes on at conventions?  I might have to get over my fear of crowds.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#42 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:52 PM

View PostRommies Slave, on Jan 6 2006, 08:37 PM, said:

Okay, I can see the judge’s point, aiming for rehabilitation over punishment- but prison isn't solely a punishment, it also protects society from people who have no respect for the law or other people. We have prisons to separate people like Hulett who pose a serious risk to the safety and well being of the community.

The department's psych councilor that analyzed him said that Hulett had no sympathy and wasn't even sorry!! He knew what he was doing, he meant to do it, he planned to do, he did it repeatedly and he’s glad he did it. He doesn't regret any of the pain and suffering he has caused an innocent child.

It's because of people like Hullett that we have prisons in the first place.

I agree he needs treatment but give it to him while he’s behind four layers of concrete and iron bars away from any other children. The judge is well intentioned but what the hell is two months in jail going to do? He goes in, comes back out and is a free man. What if he doesn’t attend counseling? What if he takes off and goes to find another girl to repeatedly rape? What protection does the community have against this monster?

None. I honestly have zero clue as to why the Corrections Department couldn’t give Hulett treatment in prison where society would be safe. This is so ass backwards it’s insane!
Yep.

Lock him up! Lock him up! What the hell is wrong with our justice system??
For starters, that judge.  :angry:  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#43 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:40 AM

View PostRommies Slave, on Jan 6 2006, 11:37 PM, said:

It's because of people like Hullett that we have prisons in the first place.

No Hullett is the reason the death penalty was created. It is only the good natured and well intentioned parts of our humanity that refuses to accept that somethings need to be put down for the safety of society. That failing to do so violated the social contract of society to it's people.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#44 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:04 AM

Apparently we're not the only ones who think the judge is off his rocker:

http://www.burlingto...=73231810585703

The state Corrections Department is planning a complete review of sex-offender Mark Hulett's case, including whether he should remain ineligible for counseling while in prison and whether the department can hold him longer than his controversial 60-day minimum sentence, Commissioner Rob Hofmann said Thursday.

"I want to review it and see what flexibility we have regarding that time frame, if we have flexibility," Hofmann said. "I'm keenly interested in that."

It was unclear, though, what effect the department's considerations could have on how long Hulett, 34, spends in custody.

"We have to respect the judge's decision," Hofmann said.

And an editorial:

http://www.burlingto...=73231810705521

Asexual deviant who repeatedly abused a child over a four-year period got a slap on the wrist in a Vermont courtroom this week and will be free to walk the streets in as few as 60 days. That is an appalling and unacceptable outcome.

Mark Hulett of Williston admitted to assaulting the girl for years, beginning when she was only 6. Prosecutors wanted Hulett jailed for eight years, although he could have received life in prison. But when the Corrections Department refused to offer treatment to Hulett in jail, Judge Edward Cashman set the jail term at a minimum of 60 days -- with a clear emphasis on the shorter sentence and conditions that included treatment for his deviancy.

There is no logic that justifies releasing this man in a matter of weeks, months or even a few years. This judge, with the aid of the Corrections Department, essentially put the interests of a sex offender before the needs of an abused child.
Hulett broke the law in one of the most horrific manners possible and ought to be punished for that offense. He damaged the life and future of a young girl who endured his abuse for years. He broke state law, as well as any moral code that governs most civilized behavior.

A paltry 60 days in jail doesn't even come close to appropriate punishment for such an awful crime.

His brief incarceration means he will be sharing the streets once again with this girl in as little as two months -- a cruel outcome that extends her victimization. Her recovery and safety must be the priority here, and that now becomes more difficult.

Finally, the message conveyed in this ruling is dangerous.

Essentially the judge has created the impression that the courts do not consider the repeated sexual assault of a child to be worthy of serious consequence. That is a tragic signal to send to Vermont's children and their adult guardians, making it clear that they should not expect to find protection in a courtroom. Why would any child step forward to report abuse now knowing he or she might have to confront that angry abuser on the streets in a matter of months?

View Postveganmom, on Jan 6 2006, 04:13 PM, said:

OH RHEA OH OH OH
"I also found a blurb in the same paper from the day he was arrested, which said a second man also assaulted the child with Hurlett's 'permision.' "

http://www.burlingto...theme=WILLISTON

This is the earlier article, which says in the last paragraph:

Police said they were looking for a second suspect who allegedly sexually abused the child with Hulett’s permission.

It also says that the police were tipped off to this situation TWO YEARS AGO!

Police and child protection investigators were first tipped indirectly by the victim about the situation two years ago, but there was not enough evidence to make an arrest. This time Mark Hulett, 34, has made a complete confession, police said.

Can you imagine? It was the child herself who tipped off the police, but they couldn't do anything to stop this guy for another two years! That's the saddest thing I've ever heard. :cry:

Edited by Rhea, 07 January 2006 - 03:08 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#45 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:27 AM

justice? what justice. that girl got zip. Now i'm not hte most maternal person around, but if I was her parent, I would be standing outside with a big gun, club, bat, or frying pan, come sixty days.

The law didn't protect her at all.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#46 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:30 PM

everyone else has pretty much summed up what i would have said, except for one thing.

this is Vermont.  somehow i'm not surprised, when this is the same state that refuses to cooperate with our county in order to prosecute the @#$@#$% deadbeat father of my niece and nephew because they expect "proof" that he IS sending money rather than look at the obvious true proof that he is NOT.

only recently is anything being done because the lying employer's accountant filed his W-2 last year so she's finally being investigated by the IRS. :smirk:

back on the subject:  this is disgusting.  period!

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#47 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:49 PM

View PostRommies Slave, on Jan 6 2006, 10:37 PM, said:

The department's psych councilor that analyzed him said that Hulett had no sympathy and wasn't even sorry!! He knew what he was doing, he meant to do it, he planned to do, he did it repeatedly and he’s glad he did it. He doesn't regret any of the pain and suffering he has caused an innocent child.

Then why even waste the money and time on tryin' to rehab this fella?  He doesn't care and nothin' in the world'll change his mind.  

He'll re-offend when he gets out.  He's got no sense of conscience at all and, I'd even venture, he's a sociopath who'll graduate upwards to worse.

We post all our notices from the Galveston County Sheriff's Dept regardin' sexual offenders in the area.  I pass by this "rogue's gallery" all the time goin' to and from lunch.  It's amazin' the ages of the perps (often 30+, on avg) and the ages of the victims (less than 10 on avg).  It's enough to turn my stomach on occasions.  The worst had to be a guy who was 30-40 and the vic was a 2 y/o girl.  It's enough to make me believe in castratin' these guys for punishment.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#48 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:00 PM

It's enough for me to consider using a psitol and killing something that is as dangerous as a rapid dog. It bothers me a great deal that society is getting so weak willed to do what common sense says needs to be done.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#49 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:40 AM

View PostG1223, on Jan 7 2006, 04:00 PM, said:

It's enough for me to consider using a psitol and killing something that is as dangerous as a rapid dog. It bothers me a great deal that society is getting so weak willed to do what common sense says needs to be done.

Its not often I agree with you, but in this case I do. The sucker needs to fry.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#50 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:38 AM

Oh, Nonny, we are sooo off-topic. But. I saw a video once of a performance a G&S troupe did. So it may be more "G&S" and less "convention." If time, i will google it for more info. But it was really, really funny.

Which is not only off-topic, but in bad taste to be talking about here.
Ah, the sublime and the ridiculous.

Nonny, if I find out more I'll PM you or something.

#51 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:38 AM

Oh, Nonny, we are sooo off-topic. But. I saw a video once of a performance a G&S troupe did. So it may be more "G&S" and less "convention." If time, i will google it for more info. But it was really, really funny.

Which is not only off-topic, but in bad taste to be talking about here.
Ah, the sublime and the ridiculous.

Nonny, if I find out more I'll PM you or something.

#52 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

On topic: Don't have time to research now, but my mom said she heard about it on CNN. So at least it's getting some nation-wide attention.

We just have to encourage our kids to tell us everything. Especially "bad" stuff.

I'ev also been to abuse-prevention classes, and they tell everyone to tell children to trust their gut instincts. If they get a weird vibe off a person, trust it. Tell another adult. Even if you don't have "facts" to back it up. Then the adult can monitor more closely.

And if an adult threatens you if you talk, take it as more proof that whatever they did was wrong, and talk anyway. Children have to be convinced that the adult will be disempowered, which given what happened, is hard for them to believe. The threats won't come true.

Who knows what that guy told her. I've heard ex-abusers in these seminars talk about all sorts of horrible threats they made and things they said to keep these kids quiet. And those are the abusers who actually feel remorse and are trying to prevent abuse from happening again. Your mom won't love you if she knows. You brought this on -- you started it. They will take you away from your parents if they know you act like this. No one will believe you. Oh, it was horrible. And how they got parents to trust them...creepy. Horrible. You really almost can't trust anyone.

#53 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:05 PM

Not even back from my vacation one day and find a thread that gets my blood boiling.

60 days!? WTF! Can we charge the judge as an accomplice BEFORE the fact when this molestor attacks another child? Afterall when it does happen again it is going to be solely this judges fault...and the molestor's.

I wonder how this judge would feel if it was his daughter that had been raped, repeatedly for 4 years, and another judge gave the rapist 60 days?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#54 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:38 PM

Talk about repeat offenders!  :angry:  At least this one is going away for a long, long time.  From the Desert Sun:

Man gets 2 life terms for rape, stabbing

WALLACE, Idaho (AP) -- A man who raped and stabbed his 12-year-old daughter and left her for dead has been sentenced to two life prison terms without chance of parole after she read an angry statement to him in court.

John Rollins Tuggle pleaded guilty to rape and kidnapping with a deadly weapon, taking responsibility and sparing the victim from the ordeal of a trial, First District Judge Fred Gibler said at Monday's sentencing.

"Other than those two things, its hard to find anything positive to state about Mr. Tuggle," Gibler said.

Tuggle's daughter, who has changed her last name, looked directly at him as she read a letter to him in court, saying she was determined to overcome the loss of her innocence.

"You left me to die and for that you do not deserve life," she said. "I will remove your actions from my mind, as I've already removed you from my heart."

The attack happened last July when Tuggle, 37, was visiting his former wife and children in Athol after completing a nine-year prison term for the rape of his ex-wife's 13-year-old sister, who became pregnant....
And he sat there smoking as she lay bleeding.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Nonny
Posted Image

#55 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:41 PM

Jesus... *throws up* thats terrible *fails to express rage*
Posted Image

#56 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:42 PM

I'm not one to bandy the words 'good' and 'evil' about lightly, but I can't really find another word to describe these guys other than 'evil'

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#57 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:07 PM

View PostNonny, on Jan 10 2006, 06:38 PM, said:

And he sat there smoking as she lay bleeding.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Nonny

It's cases like that that make me wish the death penalty was a little harsher...Instead of a lethal injection...death by torture. These monsters deserve nothing less.

As for the judge...at the very least he needs to be fired.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#58 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:16 PM

what what has the anti-CP lobby got to say?

People like that should be shot, pure and simple.

Edited by Schmokie_Dragon, 10 January 2006 - 07:17 PM.

Posted Image

#59 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:20 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jan 10 2006, 04:07 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on Jan 10 2006, 06:38 PM, said:

Nonny

It's cases like that that make me wish the death penalty was a little harsher...Instead of a lethal injection...death by torture. These monsters deserve nothing less.

As for the judge...at the very least he needs to be fired.
Sorry for the confusion!  Two different cases!  Yeah, judge in first case noted in thread definitely needs to be fired.  The judge in the case I added above, not so much.  He sentenced a monster who finished a nine year sentence for raping his 13 yr old sister in law to two life terms without possibility of parole for raping, stabbing and leaving to die his own 12 yr old daughter.  Yeah, a monster, but at least he spared his daughter the further trauma of a trial and pled guilty.  No, the second judge is one of the good guys.  

Again, sorry for the confusion.  I considered starting a new thread, but decided to continue in this with fresh evidence that some monsters get their just desserts.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#60 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

View PostNonny, on Jan 10 2006, 07:20 PM, said:

Sorry for the confusion!  Two different cases!  Yeah, judge in first case noted in thread definitely needs to be fired.  The judge in the case I added above, not so much.  He sentenced a monster who finished a nine year sentence for raping his 13 yr old sister in law to two life terms without possibility of parole for raping, stabbing and leaving to die his own 12 yr old daughter.  Yeah, a monster, but at least he spared his daughter the further trauma of a trial and pled guilty.  No, the second judge is one of the good guys.  

Again, sorry for the confusion.  I considered starting a new thread, but decided to continue in this with fresh evidence that some monsters get their just desserts.  

Nonny

No confusion here. I was referring to the first judge, the one who handed down the 60 day sentence. He needs to be gone ASAP. Don't have a problem with the second judge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Punishment

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users