69 replies to this topic

#61 JchaosRS

JchaosRS

Ordered Chaos

• Islander
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

View PostNonny, on Jan 10 2006, 04:20 PM, said:

Again, sorry for the confusion.  I considered starting a new thread, but decided to continue in this with fresh evidence that some monsters get their just desserts.
His "just desserts" isn't a life sentence, it should be execution. I am usually against Capital Punishment, but with a monster like this (where there is no doubt he repeatedly committed such heinous crimes) it's perfectly fitting. He escalated from simply raping a little girl, to kidnapping and attempted murder. There is no place for a man like him in society.
Will be eternally Rommie's Slave
Jays Music Videos | Jeremy Farnum | LexaFans

#62 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:03 AM

It's up at CNN.com now.

Judge slammed for molester's 60-day sentence

And i can't believe the parents weren't charged with anything!

Cashman is the name of the judge:

Hulett was a friend of the victim's family and frequently stayed in her home. The victim's parents were aware that Hulett had an interest in the girl and that the two, on some occasions, slept in the same bed, court documents said.

The Department of Correction's sex offender treatment team argued Hulett's risk to re-offend was low. Under Corrections Department policy low-risk sex offenders can only be treated in the community.

But Cashman disagreed with those assessments. He wrote that Hulett had the emotional maturity of a 12- to 14-year old and did not understand why others were so upset by his actions.

Cashman said he was concerned that delaying Hulett's treatment while he served a longer sentence would cause more harm and increase the long-term risk he presented to the community.

#63 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:12 AM

Charge the parents for what? Trusting a friend not to take advantage of a child?

Honestly...
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#64 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:16 AM

Ummmm. what's up with this?

"The victim's parents were aware that Hulett had an interest in the girl and that the two, on some occasions, slept in the same bed, court documents said."

#65 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:17 AM

^^^

I think this is what Shoshana was referring to...

Hulett was a friend of the victim's family and frequently stayed in her home. The victim's parents were aware that Hulett had an interest in the girl and that the two, on some occasions, slept in the same bed, court documents said.

While not a crime on the parents part, (not sure if there is a legal deinition of a crime here but...)  it does show a lack  of good judgment.  

An 'interest' in the girl can be interpreted in a lot of different ways....just a casual interest as a friend of the family or then there is  sexual interest or just too much interest.  That's a hard thing to judge and everyone must go on their own gut feeling there.

But an interest coupled with the man sleeping in the same bed as their daughter...that would set off an alarm on my part but maybe that is just me....

You just don't know who you can trust these days NOT to take advantage of a child....even friends must be watched to an certain extent.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#66 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:02 AM

View Posttrikay, on Jan 11 2006, 09:17 AM, said:

But an interest coupled with the man sleeping in the same bed as their daughter...that would set off an alarm on my part but maybe that is just me....

It's not just you. That would've set off alarm bells with me also.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#67 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:26 AM

View Postemsparks, on Jan 5 2006, 06:23 PM, said:

You have to understand that a child molester does hard time, in that if they are put in a prisonís general population  they usually wind up dead. General prison populations hate child molesters and rapist, big time. So as a rule, child molesters are put in special segregation units, which for all intensive purposes is permanent solitary confinement. Which does not always guarantee their physical safety.

That's the best argument against the death penalty for a guy like this that I've ever read.

Life, without possibility of parole, for a man who raped a six year-old child, continued raping her for four more years, invited another guy to come along and do the same thing, and who has shown no regret and no remorse?

Sounds good to me.  Death is too good for him.

#68 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:05 AM

No you put him to death so that when his time is up in prison he does not get to go and rape other children.  I have yet to see a criminal put to death go out and commit his crime again.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#69 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:59 PM

View PostG1223, on Jan 14 2006, 01:05 AM, said:

No you put him to death so that when his time is up in prison he does not get to go and rape other children.  I have yet to see a criminal put to death go out and commit his crime again.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#70 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:50 PM

The state is now offering sex offender treatment in jail and has asked the judge to reconsider.

The state has offered to provide Mark Hulett with sex-offender treatment in prison, in hopes of encouraging District Court Judge Edward Cashman to change the controversial 60-day to 10-year sentence he gave the convicted sex offender last week.

Mike Smith, secretary of the Agency of Human Services, announced the change Wednesday afternoon. "I don't want any excuse for this guy not being punished," Smith said. "I'm going to take that obstacle away."

Hulett's sentence generated an outcry that spread quickly, from the Burlington courtroom to the Statehouse to the national talk-show circuit.

Cashman sentenced Hulett to 60 days to 10 years for aggravated sexual assault on a child with numerous conditions that limit where he could live and require him to receive sex-offender treatment after his release from prison. The Corrections Department had classified Hulett, a first-time offender, as a low risk to reoffend compared to other sex offenders, and therefore not eligible for in-prison treatment. "The limitation on treatment within the facility led to the shaping of the minimum sentence," Cashman wrote.

Smith said the sex-offender classification system is an internal tool used by the Corrections Department: "It was never intended to be used by judges to determine a sentence."

Smith said he hopes that by offering treatment to Hulett in prison Cashman will issue a sentence that includes more punishment. "My expectation is that the judge will now entertain an eight-year sentence," Smith said.

As far as I'm concerned they should be castrated and then thrown  in the general prison population with a life sentence. :barf:

And...

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Richard Sears, D-Bennington, agreed. "I think this solves the immediate Hulett problem, but it doesn't solve the problem of Judge Cashman thinking 60 days is appropriate," Sears said.

Also Wednesday, a resolution asking for Cashman's resignation was introduced on the House floor and sent to the House Judiciary Committee for review.

The article is dated today. :cool: I hope they toss his ass off the bench. What a moron!

Edited by Rhea, 14 January 2006 - 09:51 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Punishment

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users