8 replies to this topic

#1 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:48 PM

Good riddance.

Edited by Call Me Robin, 07 January 2006 - 02:25 PM.

Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#2 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:56 PM

Your link doesn't work for me, sorry Robin
cervisiam tene rem specta

#3 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:00 PM

View PostCall Me Robin, on Jan 7 2006, 06:48 PM, said:

So what's the wingnut talking point for the day on this?  That Delay is innocent of everything and unfairly hounded by a partisan prosecutor and mean liberal media?  

Or that he's an isolated case and not at all representative of the Republicans in Congress?  

Or that old favorite, a Democrat once did something wrong so why are we talking about this?  Oh yes, and Michael Moore is fat.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#4 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:26 PM

The link above has been fixed.  Here 'tis again!
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:12 PM

Here's a link I think will work:

http://news.yahoo.co...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Embattled Rep.     Tom DeLay on Saturday abandoned his bid to remain as House majority leader, clearing the way for leadership elections among Republicans eager to shed the taint of scandal.

In a letter to rank-and-file Republicans, DeLay said, "During my time in Congress, I have always acted in an ethical manner within the rules of our body and the laws of our land. I am fully confident time will bear this out."

At the same time, "I cannot allow our adversaries to divide and distract our attention," the Texas Republican wrote.

DeLay is battling campaign finance charges in Texas and was forced to step aside temporarily as majority leader last fall after he was charged in his home state. He has been trying to clear his name and, until Saturday, resume his leadership role.

In a separate letter to Speaker Dennis Hastert, DeLay said he intends to seek re-election to his House seat in November "while I work to clear my name of the baseless charges leveled against me." Urging a new leadership election as soon as possible, DeLay said the majority leader's job and "the mandate of the Republican majority are too important to be hamstrung, even for a few months, by personal distractions."

DeLay's about-face came amid growing pressure from fellow Republicans who were concerned about their own political futures in the wake of this past week's guilty pleas by lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

DeLay's defiant, take-no-prisoners style had won him the admiration and respect of fellow Republicans, but his mounting problems cast a shadow over the entire House.

After repeatedly maintaining that  President Bush continued to support DeLay, the White House pivoted abruptly on Saturday, issuing a statement that endorsed DeLay's move. "We respect Congressman DeLay's decision to put the interests of the American people, the House of Representatives and the Republican Party first," said Erin Healy, a spokeswoman for Bush.

The House Democratic leader, Rep. Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record) of California, contended DeLay had engineered a "culture of corruption" among majority Republicans "that a single person stepping down is not nearly enough to clean up the Republican Congress."

Missouri Rep. Roy Blunt (news, bio, voting record), the GOP whip who temporarily has filled in for DeLay, was expected to run for majority leader. Rep. John Boehner (news, bio, voting record) of Ohio, a former member of the leadership, is also likely to seek the job.

Elections are likely the week of Jan. 30, when lawmakers return to the Capitol.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#6 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 04:55 PM

Doorknob.  Ass.  Out.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#7 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#8 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:27 PM

:D  :hehe:

It's not Hammer time.  :D

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#9 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:51 AM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww!  Let's take back "If I Had a Hammer" too!  

:happy:  :happy:  :happy:  :happy:  :happy:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: House of Represenatives, Tom DeLay, Resigns, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users