Question Regarding Physics Textbooks

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Woodmansee

Woodmansee
  • Demigod
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 08:35 AM

I like  Halliday and Resnick "Fundamentals of Physics" too.

However for a REALLY different, fun, and informative introduction to physics check out "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman.

Paul

#22 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 09:48 AM

Of course ideally the goal of education is to actually learn stuff, not just to pass tests. The tests should be a means to the end of gaining knowledge, not vice-versa.

Of course I agree entirely, which is why I suggested taking a follow-up course, even if it wasn't required by his degree program. However, I thought it would be a shame if he spent musch time studying material that wouldn't help him with his stated goal. The AP exempts one from coursework in specific material (departments know exactly what the AP does and doesn't cover). There is some merit to mastering that specific material, gaining the full exemption for it, and then continuing ones studies, rather than mastering other material at the expense of the covered material, possibly losing a semester of exemption, and then re-studying both the exempted and non-exempted material.

Aceing the AP is certainly not an end, but it can legitmately be a short-term goal.

TFZ - my favorite Pharmacology professors were a) a 5" 0' utterly cogent hippie looking guy (about my age with unkempt hair down past his hips, even today), who I never dared ask about his 'adventures' and b) a conservative 6' 4" woman with a reputation for being a priss, who once let slip a few facts that suggested she'd ingested substances I'd get nervous sharing a lab with. You can ever tell with those Pharm types!

#23 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 10:28 AM

^^^Well, my high-school biology professor was a creationist, or at least an agnostic on the subject of evolution.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users