• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:05 PM

This is a spin off of the RFO thread, i really liked some of the one-off posts that were in that thread.

Basicly what kind of gamer are you and what kind of online community are you looking for? You can include your favorite games, your current choice and what you are looking forward to. Maybe there is a game you are looking forward to that someone else doesn't even know about like RFO was to me!

1) What kind of gamer am I? - I'm casual. I know that is a curse word for some, i KNOW it used to be a curse word for me! But getting older means, you have to have a steady job, and not just one you can blow off, then you have a family to deal with and all the errands and commitmants that brings. Guess where all that came out of? My game time! :cry:

That means I am lucky to have maybe a hour or two at night and a few hours Sunday afternoon. I want a game that will let me spend those hours each night and allow me a little victory each night so I feel i've acomplished something, something better then the mundane stuff in my life I gotta deal with ya know?

1) Favorite Games - Everquest - Yep, this is the one that opened my eyes up to what a online game could DO. Earth and Beyond - I LOVED this game when it first came out. It had a great production with just the coolest theme music. It gave me a starship and a entire galaxy to play with. If only they hadn't nerfed it to death. :(

2) Current Game : City of Heroes / City of Villans. Fantastic game that really delivers on it's promise, a living breathing Comic Book world to live and play in. The colors are bright and vibrant and the heroes all look fantastic and differant! There are litteraly no two heroes that look the same. The game also delivers on my demand that i feel like I've done something. You level quickly and when you don't level you are collecting badges and bringing criminals to justice or exploring new zones.

3) Biggest Disapointments : Final Fantasy Online. I wanted to love this game so much. I love the series and the worlds and for awile just through sheer willpower i DID enjoy it. But after about 4 months it all fell apart. The leveling is slow and when you fnaly get somewhere you have to start all over again. The quests are long and tedious. The time demands are HUGE, it takes over an hour to set up a adventure group due to the long travel times, it takes forever to solve quests it takes forever to set up magic enhancements for your house it takes forever to grow magic plants and craft your items it takes forever to get a riding creature it takes fore....

Ya, you get the idea. If I ever win the lottery and can live a life of ease then I might play this game again. Maybe. :p

4) Games i'm looking forward to :

Star Trek Online - I'm loving how this game is turning out. It's a great Universe to travel in and Star Trek just breaths cooperative gameplay which is what I live for. PvP is ok, but there is nothing like working with a group of players and slam dunking a mission and STO shouold be able to offer that in spades. It will offer PvP but it will keep that in the Holodeck which is perfect for me. It's there when I want it but it's not forced down my throat.

DC Heroes - This one was just announced but I love superheroes and if it can give me what CoH/CoV does but with next gen goodness then I'm VERY interested. I'm also hoping that they will give me a great super ride like the Batmoble or a cool Invisable Jet. :)

Your turn!

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 24 January 2006 - 03:08 PM.

Posted Image

#2 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:15 PM

Great idea, enTranced! :cool:

I don't have time to give a proper response right now but I'll definitely get back to this later.

(although most of my answer is spread out in the "Sci-Fi MMORPG" thread ;))
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#3 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:07 PM

I get RPG, but what's MMO?

#4 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:08 PM

Massively multiplayer online role-playing game. :)

#5 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:12 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on Jan 24 2006, 09:08 PM, said:

Massively multiplayer online role-playing game. :)

Yup! There are other online games then RPG's but I like the MMORPG's because they tend to be populated by players who are building a community around the game.

enTranced - AKA Shadow Katt, lvl 39 Technology Scrapper - or, one damn level away from my new costume baby! ;)
Posted Image

#6 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:29 PM

The only MMORPG I've played and stuck with for a while was WoW. For a while, it was fun... but then I realized it was just the same thing over and over again without variation. Get quest, beat quest and in between, power level. Yawn.

To the game's credit, it was beautifully designed with each world being very distinct (and gorgeous) and the mechanics were second to none. I think it's just that MMORPGs aren't for me. They're too static and impersonal for my tastes. I like having character development and plots in my RPGs. ;)

A good friend of mine tried FFXI for a while and really didn't care for it. I don't blame him. It looked slow as molasses.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#7 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:32 PM

View PostJosh, on Jan 24 2006, 09:29 PM, said:

A good friend of mine tried FFXI for a while and really didn't care for it. I don't blame him. It looked slow as molasses.

Both of you are correct. It actualy makes Molasses look like a speed demon. :barf: See #3 above.

enTranced
Posted Image

#8 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

View PostJosh, on Jan 24 2006, 04:29 PM, said:

The only MMORPG I've played and stuck with for a while was WoW. For a while, it was fun... but then I realized it was just the same thing over and over again without variation. Get quest, beat quest and in between, power level. Yawn.

To the game's credit, it was beautifully designed with each world being very distinct (and gorgeous) and the mechanics were second to none. I think it's just that MMORPGs aren't for me. They're too static and impersonal for my tastes. I like having character development and plots in my RPGs. ;)
In that case, you might actually enjoy Guild Wars, assuming you get a new video card at some point. ;)

#9 woody000

woody000
  • Islander
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

1) What kind of gamer am I? - I'm now a very casual gamer, I used to be almost a hardcore gamer, (7+ hours a day) but realised after a year of that that I was wasting my life. :p I'd like to be semi-casual but I simply have more important things to do.

I'm trying to RP. I love it when I can, but I find it hard to get into it when so many don't bother, even on RP servers.

2) Favorite Games - World of Warcraft. For a period I was up to the semi-casual level I wanted to be at, and this game was perfect for that. 1 character maxed out in 6 months, a bit of end-game content. Just that now I'm more busy in my second year at uni (first year towards the degree) I can't play it much and to do the top raids you really need to be more consistent.

2) Current Game : Dungeons and Dragons Beta, World of Warcraft occasionally.

3) Biggest Disapointments : Sadly, DDO. I'll still play it, but the lack of open spaces does my head in and I want to SIT in a tavern. :( I so wanted this to be my best MMO yet.

EDIT: Ohh, almost forgot, bigger than that: The cancellation of Dragon Empires. I wait on the forums for a game, which looks PERFECT for me, I wait for a couple of years (some were there much longer) and due to a serious problem with the server code, it gets cancelled. :( Ok, not the game itself, but it's still an MMO disappointment.

4) Games i'm looking forward to : Star Trek Online, Middle Earth Online, (both will probably be rubbish really though). RFO on the off chance I like it and because it's run by Codies. The sequel to WoW. (Obviously there will be one: a company doesn't throw millions of potential pounds down the toilet.) Any other sequel to a big name game... EQ, Lineage, etc. They're bound to get another great game eventually.

Edited by woody000, 24 January 2006 - 04:49 PM.

#10 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:50 PM

I consider myself a casual to a hardcore gamer. I average between 1 to 5 hours gaming every day. Usually this time is spread out over the course of a day or over several days. So there are some days where I don't play games at all and other days where I play them to death.

My ideal MMORPG: Guild Wars.

Here's why:
  • Low system requirements
  • Looks absolutely stunning on a low end system
  • Has a musical score by Jeremy Soule. 'Nuff said.
  • You can actually beat the game! :eek2:
  • It focuses more on teamwork, strategy, and cooperation than most other MMORPGs. In the words of ArenaNet, it's a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game).
  • It has some of the best PvP I've seen in an online game.
  • Guild battles are tons of fun
  • The "grind" is almost non-existent.
  • Parties stay small and focused (max party size is 8).
  • Characters can be completely rebuilt in towns and outposts to allow you to adapt your character to any party.
  • Quests don't take hours and hours to complete.
  • Expansions can either be completely stand alone or they can be used to upgrade your existing account.
  • It has a streaming technology that makes it painless to update areas in the game (patches are applied as you load areas)
  • ArenaNet has proven that they are committed to their community countless times and even accepts fan input.
  • ArenaNet is committed to making sure NO ONE has an unfair advantage in the game.
  • NO SERVER FEE.
I could go on but I think you get the picture. ;)

Characters:
Kahlan Tam
Ranger/Monk
PvE/PvP, Level 20/Ascended
Female

Richard Tam
Warrior/Monk
PvE/PvP, Level 20/Ascended
Male

Zeddicus Tam
Elementalist/Mesmer
PvE/PvP, Level 9
Male

Kusanagi Kasumi
Assassin/Warrior
PvP only, Level 20
Female
(reserved name for Guild Wars: Factions)

Edited by NeuralClone, 24 January 2006 - 05:11 PM.

#11 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

What other games have you played NC? Are there any games on the horizon that look good to you?

Woody : STO looks to be in VERY good hands, at the very least with Michael Okuda the game will LOOK like Star Trek! :D

enTranced
Posted Image

#12 Flechette

Flechette
  • Islander
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

1)  What type of gamer am I?  steady casual I guess.  I rarely have more than 1 1/2 hr at a time to play but I usually manage 4-5 nights a week.

I hate - absolutely hate- detest- PVP.    I love player economies and crafting and things to do other than killing a mob - so while I do appreciate that CoH/CoV  and GW are visually stunning and loads of fun to alot of people- I generally get bored after about a few weeks with them.   Now if CoH's costume/creating program was available off line -  that I'd spend alot of time playing with!

2) Favorite - tied between WoW and AC1.  AC1 was my first and there's still lots of love for that - but WoW is what Turbine was trying for w/ AC2 and failed.  It is possible to get to the end game of WoW w/out ever stepping foot in an instance or group if you like     or can group continually if you want.  I have loads of fun making in game money bu mining or finding good deals or just the ersell business  :lol:    takes all kinds!  mostly.....

3) Kina looking forward to DnDO - played this last stress and had fun - but I can also see some glaring issues that would likely bug me -  I like the fact quests are varied -  puzzle quests, riddle quests yea!  but lack of crafting stuff or banks and mailboxes are hard to get used too after WOW

LotRO and Star Wars on line?  meh - the truly fanatic fans who will sit there and debate the tiniest details to death make me want to stay way far away from this as I did Star Wars Galaxies.  I saw one thread on a board w/ over 1000 posts debating Frodo's eye color.  nope  just too scary for me  :eek2:

not much else on the horizon that I know of right now-    I love to something like WoW w/ more 5-8 person content instead of the raids but I think I'm in a minority on that  :p

#13 Sesshoumaru

Sesshoumaru

Dai Youkai

• Islander
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

Personaly, I don't HATE PvP but It's just not my thing. I love Guild Wars' PvE but it's just not long enough (At least new chapters fix that) but in my Ideal MMORPG, It'd have to be Sci-Fi ish, not too much of a level grinder, focusing mainly on PvE. (Oh and no monthly fee) XD
I have returned...

#14 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

^

Over 100 hours of gameplay isn't long enough? :blink:

Personally, I love PvP if it's done right. The PvP in Diablo II is an example of PvP that I think is not done right. It's severely unbalanced, depends greatly on reflexes and not on actual skill, and ultimately your equipment determines who is going to win the match. Of course, Diablo II is a flawed game to begin with. ;)

View PostenTranced, on Jan 24 2006, 06:28 PM, said:

What other games have you played NC? Are there any games on the horizon that look good to you?
Let's see. I've tried the following games but I've never become a full subscriber of any of them because they (1) cost more than I'm willing to spend on them and (2) I didn't really like the focus of the games. I don't think they are bad games by any means, they just weren't for me.

World of Warcraft
Lineage II
Everquest
Everquest II
Asheron's Call

As for games I'm looking forward to, aside from Guild Wars: Factions I can't think of any. Sure there are plenty of new MMORPGs coming that look like they have potential, but unless they do away with the monthly fee I won't be getting any of them.

Edited by NeuralClone, 24 January 2006 - 09:53 PM.

#15 Sesshoumaru

Sesshoumaru

Dai Youkai

• Islander
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

I've been playing GW since beta and..well..then it was fun, but it got repetitive since I didn't PvP too much, even so it's still my favorite MMORPG out there, and I can't wait until factions either. Ritualists/Monks are going to own healing and assassins seem pretty sweet.
I have returned...

#16 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:28 PM

View PostSesshoumaru, on Jan 24 2006, 10:22 PM, said:

I've been playing GW since beta and..well..then it was fun, but it got repetitive since I didn't PvP too much, even so it's still my favorite MMORPG out there, and I can't wait until factions either. Ritualists/Monks are going to own healing and assassins seem pretty sweet.
Fair enough. :)

I agree that Factions looks really cool. I can't wait to play full time as an assassin. It's an interesting choice to add a melee fighter that's capable of doing spike damage. Also, the I have a feeling that the ritualist is going to become a real pain in the ass in PvP fights. Those spirits are pretty hard to take down! :D

#17 woody000

woody000
  • Islander
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:19 AM

For the average MMO player, 100 hours of gameplay isn't enough, no. The minimum I'd like is 300 hours, which amounts to an hour a day for a year, minus some breaks etc. The maximum I would be happy with is 1000 hours, which imo is like world of warcraft, though it depends how you look at it.* The most I could put up with for a single character, including end-game content is 1500 hours. To put this into perspective, many eastern games will have as much as twice that.

*(If you mean leveling one character to level 60, and not doing any other classes or end-game content then it'll be more like 250-350 I'd say. If you had a level 60 of every class AND did endgame content, it'd be much more, but most would be bored long before then. 1000 is the number of hours I could play it and enjoy it... if I had the time that is, which I don't. :p)

I said I want a minimum of 300 hours... in reality, the way things are going I'll only be able to play 100 hours in any given year. Things are just far too busy now. It seems from now on, what I want, and what I get aren't the same. :p

View PostenTranced, on Jan 24 2006, 11:28 PM, said:

Woody : STO looks to be in VERY good hands, at the very least with Michael Okuda the game will LOOK like Star Trek! :D

*crosses fingers* I'll take your word for it. :p

EDIT: Actually, I say the average MMO player. That won't be true any more, now I think about it. WoW has brought so many more casual players into the genre... but before WoW that'd definately be true. I would say that what I said is true for the average player, not including those playing WoW. Then again, if you include the far east, then it's true regardless, but I wasn't when I wrote the reply.

Edited by woody000, 25 January 2006 - 11:26 AM.

#18 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

Hey NC - Is there anything out there that WOULD make you pay the monthly fee? Just wondering because I always assumed a monthly fee was just part of being a online game. So if your favorite anime title was goign to be a MMORPG would you pay to play it?  :devil:

Flechette : I get what you are saying about fanish titles, but don't you agree that if you are making a title based on a beloved franchise like Star Trek or Lord of the Rings wouldn't you want it to be as close to the world as it could be?

I mean if you are going to make, for example, a Star Trek game that has masive flames coming out the back of the ships in warp drive* why would you even bother?

enTranced

* Donl't worry Perpetual is NOT doing this, this is just a example of a massive way to screw up a game!  :angel:
Posted Image

#19 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:00 PM

View Postwoody000, on Jan 25 2006, 04:19 PM, said:

For the average MMO player, 100 hours of gameplay isn't enough, no. The minimum I'd like is 300 hours, which amounts to an hour a day for a year, minus some breaks etc. The maximum I would be happy with is 1000 hours, which imo is like world of warcraft, though it depends how you look at it.* The most I could put up with for a single character, including end-game content is 1500 hours. To put this into perspective, many eastern games will have as much as twice that.

I have been playing CoH/CoV for over a year now and the game is still going strong! THAT is what I expect for a strong PvE enviroment. The best thing is whhile i have a stable of great heroes to play with including my primary Shadow Katt, I will have the Khalderians to play with after I unlock them when I reach 50th level! Now THAT is the kind of content I want with my MMORPG.

enTranced
Posted Image

#20 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:43 PM

View Postwoody000, on Jan 25 2006, 11:19 AM, said:

*(If you mean leveling one character to level 60, and not doing any other classes or end-game content then it'll be more like 250-350 I'd say. If you had a level 60 of every class AND did endgame content, it'd be much more, but most would be bored long before then. 1000 is the number of hours I could play it and enjoy it... if I had the time that is, which I don't. :p)
Interesting. Actually, FYI, I've managed to rack up 1200 hours (total time with all my characters) in Guild Wars and I still haven't beaten the game with any of my characters yet. My two high level characters still have about 5 more missions to complete and numerous side quests left to finish up. And I'm still finding things to do. So the 100 hour estimate is a very conservative estimate for the length of the game. But as I've said before, the PvP/cooperative portions of Guild Wars are what make it different than other MMORPGs and those are the components that keep people coming back (plus all the free content ArenaNet keeps releasing). The style is vastly different than other MMORPGs and ultimately Guild Wars has more in common with Magic: The Gathering, dungeon crawls, and strategy games than it does with your traditional MMORPG.

View PostenTranced, on Jan 25 2006, 11:32 AM, said:

Hey NC - Is there anything out there that WOULD make you pay the monthly fee? Just wondering because I always assumed a monthly fee was just part of being a online game. So if your favorite anime title was goign to be a MMORPG would you pay to play it?  :devil:
I wouldn't mind paying to play a Ghost in the Shell MMORPG. However, even then I would only do it after I graduate from college and only if I get a fairly high paying job ($55,000 to $65,000). Otherwise, I would much rather buy the anime DVDs and play free online games. ;)

Edited by NeuralClone, 25 January 2006 - 01:46 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users