Basicly what kind of gamer are you and what kind of online community are you looking for? You can include your favorite games, your current choice and what you are looking forward to. Maybe there is a game you are looking forward to that someone else doesn't even know about like RFO was to me!
1) What kind of gamer am I? - I'm casual. I know that is a curse word for some, i KNOW it used to be a curse word for me! But getting older means, you have to have a steady job, and not just one you can blow off, then you have a family to deal with and all the errands and commitmants that brings. Guess where all that came out of? My game time!
That means I am lucky to have maybe a hour or two at night and a few hours Sunday afternoon. I want a game that will let me spend those hours each night and allow me a little victory each night so I feel i've acomplished something, something better then the mundane stuff in my life I gotta deal with ya know?
1) Favorite Games - Everquest - Yep, this is the one that opened my eyes up to what a online game could DO. Earth and Beyond - I LOVED this game when it first came out. It had a great production with just the coolest theme music. It gave me a starship and a entire galaxy to play with. If only they hadn't nerfed it to death.
2) Current Game : City of Heroes / City of Villans. Fantastic game that really delivers on it's promise, a living breathing Comic Book world to live and play in. The colors are bright and vibrant and the heroes all look fantastic and differant! There are litteraly no two heroes that look the same. The game also delivers on my demand that i feel like I've done something. You level quickly and when you don't level you are collecting badges and bringing criminals to justice or exploring new zones.
3) Biggest Disapointments : Final Fantasy Online. I wanted to love this game so much. I love the series and the worlds and for awile just through sheer willpower i DID enjoy it. But after about 4 months it all fell apart. The leveling is slow and when you fnaly get somewhere you have to start all over again. The quests are long and tedious. The time demands are HUGE, it takes over an hour to set up a adventure group due to the long travel times, it takes forever to solve quests it takes forever to set up magic enhancements for your house it takes forever to grow magic plants and craft your items it takes forever to get a riding creature it takes fore....
Ya, you get the idea. If I ever win the lottery and can live a life of ease then I might play this game again. Maybe.
4) Games i'm looking forward to :
Star Trek Online - I'm loving how this game is turning out. It's a great Universe to travel in and Star Trek just breaths cooperative gameplay which is what I live for. PvP is ok, but there is nothing like working with a group of players and slam dunking a mission and STO shouold be able to offer that in spades. It will offer PvP but it will keep that in the Holodeck which is perfect for me. It's there when I want it but it's not forced down my throat.
DC Heroes - This one was just announced but I love superheroes and if it can give me what CoH/CoV does but with next gen goodness then I'm VERY interested. I'm also hoping that they will give me a great super ride like the Batmoble or a cool Invisable Jet.
Edited by enTranced, 24 January 2006 - 03:08 PM.