267 replies to this topic

#41 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:00 AM

View PostDelvo, on Feb 5 2006, 03:12 AM, said:

I've been wondering what it would take to get large numbers of politically correct diehards to start facing the fact that Islam is inherently a religion of bloodthirst. I never expected the answer to be "Cartoons".

I dont think Delvo has over stepped the mark here. Bloodthirst is not necessarily an insult. And IMO its true.

Islam was born out of a holy war. Muhammad was a worrior, Muhmmad had people killed. In the Qur'an it calls for people to fight against oppression (and how you interpret that depends on how you interpret oppression. But it is not exactly condeming bloodletting)

I am not saying the all Muslims are bloodthirsty, far from it, but Islam of itself is not a peaceful religion. Thay take a very hard line against infidels and turncoats.

Now, one thing that has really angared me is the way the British police is dealing with the riots over here. There have been precious few arrests, the riot police are not out in force (and where they are out they are not supressing the Muslim rioters but the general public). In a riot of over 1000 people, many carrying the 'death to infidels' style placards, the only two people arrested were ones with Mo. cartoons.... apparently that was done to prevent a "breach of the peace"... me thinks too late there.

If this was a group of Christians, White Supremacists, normal British people, the riot police would be out in force and there would be blood. But as it stands a man can parade about dressed as a suicide bomber and he is not touched. The West is running scared. Islam has proven that certain people of the religion are willing to kill mercilessly and indescriminately for the sake of their beliefs. They have proven that human life is insignificant. They have scared us and we are showing them that they are winning.

Edited by Schmokie_Dragon, 05 February 2006 - 10:00 AM.

Posted Image

#42 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:21 AM

No they have the political leaders running scared. Here in the US it would go on because Republicans would be called racist and Democrats would be running out for poll after poll to make sure they did not go too far.

Eventually the people will have enough and after that blood letting they will find new leaders.

Yes this post is saying that if the politicians do not do something towards ending this the people will. And a mob is not a forgiving thing. It will allow for those of extreme hatred get to the soapbox.

To prevent the deaths and injuries of their followers it is time for the Islamic leaders in these countries to come down on their problem makers and  cooperate with the local police rather than sit back and do nothing except condem their new host country's government.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#43 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:54 AM

View PostFragsta, on Feb 4 2006, 03:31 PM, said:

Certain people who are part of certain religious/ethnic groups, you mean. Perhaps we don't know the full story with Nonny's Muslim clergyman?
Then let me add this: apparently he wasn't aware that the event would be hosted by the Methodist co-pastors, one of whom was a clergywoman.  The man was clearly on the boil.  

View PostCardie, on Feb 4 2006, 04:58 PM, said:

What troubles me more is all the Muslims who have chosen to emigrate to secular democracies in Europe and elsewhere and yet expect the citizens of those countries to abide by their religious precepts.  (I feel the same way about certain extremist religious groups in the US.) I'm sure Orthodox Jews living in the US or UK don't relish seeing others eat ham sandwiches, but I'm not aware of any movements to impose the laws of Kashruth on those secular societies.  When you become a citizen of a country in which blasphemy against any faith is a matter for members of that faith and is not covered by the law of the land, you give up any right to call for censorship to protect your sectarian beliefs, and you certainly give up the right to call for death and destruction to befall those who don't consider depictions of the prophet Muhammad to be a crime.
Some years ago, I read an account of Muslims and ethnic Chinese living in a small Asian country, Southeast Asian, I think.  The ethnic Chinese were clearly in the majority, but the Muslims were making a big stink about pork, and wanted a law to forbid the eating of pork for everybody.   :suspect:   The ethnic Chinese, whose diet includes pork, were not in favor of this, but had to deal with a small, vocal minority who wanted to impose their own dietary laws on everybody.   :angry:

And I remember when whatsisname in Libya announced that he wanted to see all the women of the world "shining" in those stupid yards and yards of fabric they suffocate the women unfortunate enough to be born ....  Deep breaths.  Deep breaths.  

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Nonny

View PostChakotay, on Feb 5 2006, 01:57 AM, said:

Islam is apparently an 'opt out' faith - everyone is born Muslim, but many will choose to be something else - Christian, atheist, whatever.
I am stunned.  This is even worse than I imagined.  If anybody ever tells me to my face that I was born into their faith, whatever it is, I will deck them.  I'm an old lady, I'm a cripple, but I will do it.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#44 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:10 AM

I think that most people--right, left, moderate--can agree that militant Islamist ideology is a serious problem. After all, it's pretty Hilterian in its aim: to establish a wordwide Caliphate and wage war on anyone who doesn't join them.

The question I have is this: how do we stop it?

Most irrational and non-negotiable conflicts in human history have been ultimately settled by war. One side overcomes or wears down the other by force.

But when you threaten a radical Islamist with annihilation, his response is on the order of "Thanks! You'll send me to heaven."

Furthermore, when your attempt to kill said radical Islamist results in "collateral damage" and affirms his claim that you're waging war on Muslims, doesn't that merely hand him a propaganda victory along with salvation?

I agree with G that we desperately need for moderate Muslims to speak out against the Islamists. That, it seems to me, would be the most effective way of containing the virus of radical Islamism. That and doing whatever is needed to destroy the condtions that breed the virus.

If I thought we could win by bombing the hell out every nest of radical Islam in the world, I'd say go for it. It seems to me, though, that this would only feed the ideology that supports it. They *want* a holy war. Why play into their hands?
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#45 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:15 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Feb 5 2006, 08:10 AM, said:

I agree with G that we desperately need for moderate Muslims to speak out against the Islamists. That, it seems to me, would be the most effective way of containing the virus of radical Islamism. That and doing whatever is needed to destroy the condtions that breed the virus.
I agree that we need moderate Muslims to speak out, but I suspect that moderate Muslims are terrified of reprisals.  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#46 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:26 AM

Well when the lynch mob of non muslims show up at their door they will not be able to speak out. This is going to happen unless they get out and do it. When the mob gets angry enough even Ghandi would be walked over if he got in their way.

These people are here in the west not Iran. They have the freedom to speak but if they choose not to how can we tell they are moderates and not extremiest who have not been found out?

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#47 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:29 AM

Ditto. I think it would be a very effective solution if all moderates clamped down on the radicals in their midst. However, the question is, how do we get them to do it?

View PostG1223, on Feb 5 2006, 04:26 PM, said:

Well when the lynch mob of non muslims show up at their door they will not be able to speak out. This is going to happen unless they get out and do it. When the mob gets angry enough even Ghandi would be walked over if he got in their way.

These people are here in the west not Iran. They have the freedom to speak but if they choose not to how can we tell they are moderates and not extremiest who have not been found out?

I think many people are too terrified of the prospect of more bombings to take on radical Islam yet. But they will if radical Islam pushes them too far.

And G, that is it exactly. If the moderates are not more vocal, the only image we get of Islam is of radical Islam. That only serves to contribute to terror and hatred.
Posted Image

#48 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:32 AM

That or that there are no moderates. We are trying to say there are but I have not seen any.

TANSTAAFL

#49 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:36 AM

I have, there are a few who are vocal in England. And I know a few personaly. But in terms of noise level, the radicals are by far the loudest.
Posted Image

#50 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:02 PM

Spectacles said:

I find myself wondering who the "politically correct diehards" around here are. But then, I may be misinterpreting his remarks.
In this case, it's anyone who insists on the standard line about how good Islam is and how wrong criticizing it would be. I wasn't just talking about "around here" but also the rest of society at large, although that does include Ex Isle. For years now it's been strictly forbidden to ever have anything but praise for Islam, and anyone daring to speak contrarily to the standard line about what precious innocents they all are would be absolutely swarmed with outraged protests about how horribly evil it is to dare say such things about Islam. Saying negative stuff about some other beliefs or groups of people was fine because of that freedom of speech stuff, but Islam has had a special protected status. That seems to finally be cracking on the issue of these cartoons. They were created in the first place as a protest against Islam's immunity and untouchability, which means not only that the trend had been noticed and acknowledged but that somebody was finally willing to go against it. The public reaction to the Muslim protests over them is the first time I've seen much of the public appear willing to say that Muslims might ever misbehave (yes, there are some excusing it, but in the past that "excusing it" side would have been the only one heard and the cartoonists would be made out by everyone as the real villains). And this thread is the first one at Ex Isle where calling Islam on its own actions has been tolerated, even if debated, instead of ganged up on with a mob of angry hateful protests (perhaps because it's the first with enough people willing to speak up with such view; such lopsided numbers as this issue's had before, regardless of the issue, seem to usually encourage those in the majority to feel free to get nasty and hostile about whatever the subject is, while dissuading those in the overwhelmed minority from even bothering).

Spectacles said:

I've had nothing but contempt for militant Islam for many years--even before 9/11.

However, knowing a number of wonderful people who are Muslims, I make a firm distinction between militant Islam and Islam as a whole. Just as I make a distinction between militant Christian Identity nuts and Christianity. Hell, I make a distinction between Falwell, Robertson, and their follows and Christians.
So it seems that you believe that if two groups of people identify their religion with the same name, but believe, say, and do wildly different things, then they must actually have two different religions, which makes the name wrong for one of them because only one can be the "real" whatever-they-call-themselves; the same name can't apply to two such different things.

Applying that to Islam would make even more sense because the worst of those with the label "Muslim" are worse than the worst of modern American Christians.

But then, how to decide which so-called Muslims are using that label correctly and which are not actually Muslims but merely calling themselves by a wrong name? The Koran, like the Bible, is useless because both kinds can find their own kind of quotes in it. What about the teachings of the founder, then? Christianity began with a pacifist (or at least a handful of pacifists, if they made that original one up) whose use for his/their philosophy was to help people, especially the downtrodden; Islam began with a general, a conqueror, a military king-type no different from Ghengis Khan or Alexander the Great, whose use for Islam was to raise an army. Or what about ignoring origins and paying attention just to what a religion actually does here and now, to find the definition of of what the "true" nature of it is? But there's hardly even the faintest speck, barely detectable at all even if you're looking hard for it, of Muslim opposition to the bad things done in Islam's name and supported by the overwhelming bulk of those who call themselves its followers. Given a chance to express their own will freely, Muslim populations overall keep choosing the nastiest option they have, like putting Hamas in power and what you yourself described happening in Iraq. Not long ago, I saw a report on a survey of Muslims in England that found "militant" attitudes just about as prevalent among them as in the Middle East, and most of these were born in England. Here's a quote that highlights the problem:

I think it would be a very effective solution if all moderates clamped down on the radicals in their midst. However, the question is, how do we get them to do it?
More importantly, why haven't they on their own, in defense of their own supposedly peaceful loving religion? Quite simply, it can only mean that most of them aren't actually so moderate, and the true moderates don't have the numbers to do anything.

In determining which people are following the real Islam and not something else that gets labelled incorrectly as Islam, I can't find any sound basis for saying that the real ones are the ones in the tiny little minority who wish no harm to others and live their lives quite unlike the way Mohammed the conqueror lived his. The only possible bases for such a conclusion that I know of are just a couple of different brands of political correctness.

Edited by Delvo, 05 February 2006 - 12:07 PM.

#51 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:05 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Feb 5 2006, 11:10 AM, said:

I think that most people--right, left, moderate--can agree that militant Islamist ideology is a serious problem. After all, it's pretty Hilterian in its aim: to establish a wordwide Caliphate and wage war on anyone who doesn't join them.

The question I have is this: how do we stop it?

How do you stop it? Simple “Jobs and economic opportunity!”

Our production capacity doomed many local industries in the 3rd world from the 1950’s to the late 1990’s, which is why we are so universally hated. Now we are the target of low priced manufacturing from China. Fewer and fewer people are producing more and more products, dooming local industries, and farms.

We see in the Middle East.
We see it in Africa.
We see it in Russia.
We see it in South America
We see it in France, Germany, and Russia with increase attacks against ethnic minorities, and immigrants over jobs.

There is an old saying which is very true, “Idle hands are the devils play ground.”

The benefits of free trade and globalization…

Edited by emsparks, 05 February 2006 - 12:08 PM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#52 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:16 PM

Yeah, maybe it would help. But I like Britain as Britian, not as uber-multicultural-lets-accept-everyone-and-give-them-all-jobs.
So maybe that makes me an elitist racist. I dont overly care. As I have said before, it is not our job to be nice to people with terrorist inclinations in an attempt to prevent them from being terrorists. it is our job to clamp down on them, give them a dont-mess-with-us reason not to bomb us and riot in our streets and force them to take responsibility for their own actions.

Delvo - *applauds*

Edited by Schmokie_Dragon, 05 February 2006 - 12:17 PM.

Posted Image

#53 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:22 PM

I started to quote people, but there is enough animosity here for me to be arguing backwards all day long

I was muslim up until 2 years ago.  I have my own criticisms of what I found in Islam - none of which have anything to do with the actual faith - but all of which have to do with how people applied it.  NONE of my criticisms had to do with "bloodthirst" - I was never in circles where that would be apparent.

As someone who read the Qur'an regularly, and still reads it on occassion, I will certainly resist the implication that there is something wrong or evil with the Qur'an.  That Islam was born in a time of war is not a fact in dispute - the tribes of Arabia were at war with one another - and so MANY of the rules of Islam have to do with how to wage war.  They include such injunctions as NOT to wage war unless someone wages war with you, they include a heavy emphasis on eye-for-an-eye justice (which means measured response to injustice), they include being obligated to negotiate when people offer to negotiate.  In short - the Qur'an, being a revelation that came in a time of war, concerns itself with how to maintain peace, and how to build communities that can live in peace.

There was some discussion about there not being an outcry against Muslim extremists from more moderate ones.  Indeed - I think that that is a fair criticism.  It is a criticism that can be made of Christians too - there are Christians who do not favor at all the push toward theocratic reforms in America - but their voices are nowhere near as loud as the voices of the theocratic evangelical set.  Not as loud - or, not as amplified, as it is known that the news prefers the bad over the good.  Yes - there HAVE been muslims making an outcry - indeed, Muslim organizations teamed up not long ago to issue a FATWA - an authoritative legal pronouncement binding on ALL Muslims - against terrorism and violence.  But that's old news, right?

Religionists have a hard time making criticism against members of their religion - because religion is mostly a personal issue - and not a political one - it is only the politically minded who come readily armed with scripture to justify their political ends.  It takes time to work up a correct religious response - and it is the nature of religion to be forced to look at any interpretation of scripture as possibly correct... that is why there is at least one scholar out there who is successfully turning terrorists around - because they, like the "normal" people - are just as obligated to consider fairly another interpretation of scripture, and to purify their hearts to be able to accept truth instead of what they want to hear.

Where Nonny has an anecdote to tell about a muslim cleric who couldn't get with the interfaith program, I have one to tell about an ongoing interfaith movement that has been successfully running for YEARS in my city - including Muslims, Christians, Jews, and Baha'is.  And - that's not atypical.

You don't know any moderate muslims?  Try looking.  You'll be sure to find some if you want to.

As to the issue of everyone being born Muslim - that's one interpretation.  Another way of saying this is - EVERY religion is Islam.  Why? Islam means "Submit to do the will of God." What religion isn't about doing God's will?  How could there be any other religion but Islam?    I offer that just so that that statement can be taken in context.  Following Christ is doing the will of God - and is therefore Islam

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#54 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:31 PM

Delvo: So it seems that you believe that if two groups of people identify their religion with the same name, but believe, say, and do wildly different things, then they must actually have two different religions, which makes the name wrong for one of them because only one can be the "real" whatever-they-call-themselves; the same name can't apply to two such different things.

(snip)

In determining which people are following the real Islam and not something else that gets labelled incorrectly as Islam, I can't find any sound basis for saying that the real ones are the ones in the tiny little minority who wish no harm to others and live their lives quite unlike the way Mohammed the conqueror lived his. The only possible bases for such a conclusion that I know of are just a couple of different brands of political correctness.

Well, I thought we might be moving toward some sort of agreement, but it appears that you're compelled to dismiss any sort of acknowledgement of moderate Muslims as motivated by "political correctness."

It's actually motivated by my own experience with moderate Muslim students who denounce not only terrorism but also the particularly nasty brand of Islamic fundamentalism that's behind it--and a dear friend from Malaysia who is Muslim and most decidedly not a supporter of terrorism.

I don't argue that there can be only one true form of Islam or Christianity. I argue, in fact, that there are varieties--some which seem to me to be better than others, especially regarding their ability to "play well with others."

Delvo: But there's hardly even the faintest speck, barely detectable at all even if you're looking hard for it, of Muslim opposition to the bad things done in Islam's name and supported by the overwhelming bulk of those who call themselves its followers.

Do a search on "moderate muslims fatwa against terrorism." I did and got several results. Among them this:

http://www.npr.org/t...storyId=4775588

Muslim scholars from the United States and Canada have issued a "fatwa" against terrorism. While many American Muslim groups have repeatedly condemned acts of religious extremism, the new edict carries the weight of an official judicial ruling.

The fatwa comes from the 18-member Fiqh Council of North America, the group of Islamic scholars that decides judicial issues for Muslims.

The edict says all acts of terrorism targeting civilians are forbidden; that Muslims are forbidden to cooperate with any individual or group involved in terrorism or violence; and that Muslims have a "civic and religious duty to cooperate with law enforcement authorities to protect the lives of all civilians."

Below is the text of the edict, as released by the Council on American-Islamic Relations:

Text of the Fatwa

The Fiqh Council of North America wishes to reaffirm Islam's absolute condemnation of terrorism and religious extremism.

Islam strictly condemns religious extremism and the use of violence against innocent lives. There is no justification in Islam for extremism or terrorism. Targeting civilians' life and property through suicide bombings or any other method of attack is haram – or forbidden - and those who commit these barbaric acts are criminals, not "martyrs."

I recommend reading the whole text.

And not only Northamerican Muslims have issued fatwas against terrorism. In 2004, a council of moderate Muslims meeting in Dubai also issued a fatwa condemning terrorism.
500 were in attendance.

I will agree with anyone who argues that militant Islamism is a serious, serious problem. I disagree with any attempts to brand all Muslims as militant Islamists; the facts just don't support that. And it seems to me that all universal condemnations of Islam do is feed the fire that the radicals want to stoke. So it's neither factually correct nor is it helpful to do so.

QT: You don't know any moderate muslims? Try looking. You'll be sure to find some if you want to.

Exactly.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#55 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

People with nothing have nothing to lose and THAT is where terrorism blooms. These people are poor, desperate, and PISSED OFF.  They have no hope for the future, no means to prosper and give their families a better life, they have no say in their own destinies. Now if we felt like this, what do you think the outcome would be? Didn't we have a Boston Tea Party and a Revolutionary war over feeling we had no say, no control of our own destinies? Weren't our ancestors willing to fight and die for the chance to have a life that THEY chose and a chance to better their situations?

Now what *I* really have a problem with is that you can get muslims worldwide to go off the deep end over CARTOONS. Marches, protests and violence over a cartoon, yet thousands can be killed yearly by acts of terrorism, roadside bombs, kidnappings, beheadings and yet for THOSE very real and harmful acts you have to about beg to get a negative reaction from the muslim community, let alone get a protest out of them. Americans have commited many sins in our foreign policy in that region but it seems that while we're blind to our own faults, the muslim world seems equally blind to how their overreaction to THIS and lack of reaction to outright murder, portrays them to the rest of the world.

I'll grant you that American and Canadian Muslims oppose the actions of the fanatics but they are HERE and the problems are coming from over THERE. I may be wrong on this but I don't recall EVER seeing the kind of passionate response to cold blooded murder that we've seen to Salman Rushdie or this cartoons. THAT saddens me.

Edited by Lin731, 05 February 2006 - 12:40 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

My point was that moderate opposition existed but it doesnt seem to have done much.

And is doesnt seem to have done much. Why are they not out on the streets, why are they not making vocal broadcasts on TV and radio? Why are they being so proper about their objections?
Posted Image

#57 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

View PostSchmokie_Dragon, on Feb 5 2006, 12:36 PM, said:

My point was that moderate opposition existed but it doesnt seem to have done much.

And is doesnt seem to have done much. Why are they not out on the streets, why are they not making vocal broadcasts on TV and radio? Why are they being so proper about their objections?

Fatwas are pretty serious edicts in the Muslim world, as I undersand it. But I agree that they need to do more. (Unfortunately, as others have said, the bullies in the Islamist movement seem to inhibit those who want to protest them.)

At least you acknowledge that moderate opposition exists. Some here seem to be denying their existence altogether and promoting a black-white view of Islam that I don't think is accurate nor productive. I think it's important to target your enemy, verbally and otherwise. There are in fact moderate Muslims who are on our side. We need not to alienate them by condemning them along with the Islamists.

#58 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on Feb 5 2006, 09:22 AM, said:

Where Nonny has an anecdote to tell about a muslim cleric who couldn't get with the interfaith program, I have one to tell about an ongoing interfaith movement that has been successfully running for YEARS in my city - including Muslims, Christians, Jews, and Baha'is.  And - that's not atypical.

You don't know any moderate muslims?  Try looking.  You'll be sure to find some if you want to.
I sincerely hope that you are not using my anecdote and my anger against extremists to paint me as a person intolerant of Muslims.  In fact, I am intolerant of all extremists of every religion, including the current head of the one I was unfortunate to be born into, who is taking the opportunity to try to tempt Europe back into the Dark Ages, speechwise and presswise.  I am well and truly intolerant of that jerk bishop in Africa who keeps denouncing the Episcopal Church of the United States of America for stepping away from homophobia and who keeps making that illegal offer to provide bigoted bishops for episcopal oversight to ECUSA congregations no longer willing to listen to their own bishops.  And don't get me started on Seventh Day Adventist interference at my VAMC.  

The anecdote I related is one single example of Muslim rudeness I've been treated to in my long life.  I didn't relate any of the many, many more anecdotes of Muslim goodwill and excellence because 1. they wouldn't fit my participation aims in this thread, and 2. they are all personal, not tied to the person's religion, and 3. are indicative of the subjects' excellence as human beings, not as Muslims.  

I know moderate Muslims.  Funny, I don't think I know any liberal ones.  Maybe that's because I don't know the religious affiliation of everybody I know.  And to me, that's a Good Thing!   :)  

I gotta go eat raw fish.  :drool:  Later!  

Nonny
Posted Image

#59 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:53 PM

ewww, raw fish :p

Some here seem to be denying their existence altogether and promoting a black-white view of Islam that I don't think is accurate nor productive.

I really didnt read it that way. maybe that is just me applying tact to incoming information ;) I read those comments as people suggesting that it may exist, but they had not met it and it did not see to be doing much good in light of the radical movements.
Posted Image

#60 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:58 PM

View PostLin731, on Feb 5 2006, 10:35 AM, said:

People with nothing have nothing to lose and THAT is where terrorism blooms. These people are poor, desperate, and PISSED OFF.  They have no hope for the future, no means to prosper and give their families a better life, they have no say in their own destinies. Now if we felt like this, what do you think the outcome would be? Didn't we have a Boston Tea Party and a Revolutionary war over feeling we had no say, no control of our own destinies? Weren't our ancestors willing to fight and die for the chance to have a life that THEY chose and a chance to better their situations?

Foreign Policy .com disagrees with you on this, Lin. Poverty does not make for terrorism--rather, the majority of terrorists are middle-class to upper-class, educated and disilluioned with the disenfranchisement and foreign policies of the Western world.

There is, however, no evidence of a correlation between these social and economic ills and terrorism. Terrorists are not always poor and prosperity does not end terrorism. In fact, in the world’s 50 poorest countries, there is little terrorism. It is too soon to dismiss socio-economic conditions completely, but studies have generally found that terrorists tend not to be from societies’ most deprived groups. Instead, terrorists are generally well educated and unlikely to be poor.
Source: Foreign Policy "Think Again: Islamic Terrorism"

I highly recommend reading the rest of the article.

Kal.
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Islam, Cartoons of Muhammad

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users