• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:17 PM

I wasn't sure whether this belonged in GMD or here, but I figured she might be considered more a political figure than entertainment so:

LINK

Almost 2 decades ago she came to speak at my high school.  I remember her as a strong, vibrant figure.

RIP

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

I was just thinking about her!  What a great influence she has had on my life.  

Rest in peace.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:40 PM

May she rest in peace then and I hope she knew how much she changed and empowered women everywhere.

Kal.
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:32 PM

:( An amazing woman who will be sorely missed.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:22 AM

NPR link for Sunday, available at approx. 1:00 p.m. ET:

The Legacy of Betty Friedan
Weekend Edition Sunday, February 5, 2006 Betty Friedan, a pioneer of the modern feminist movement, died Saturday at 85. Eleanor Smeal, president of the Feminist Majority Foundation, talks with Liane Hansen about Friedan's impact.

Previous NPR links, available now:

Remembrances
Friedan's Push Helped Women Find Equal Footing

All Things Considered, February 4, 2006 Betty Friedan's 1963 book The Feminine Mystique helped drive the modern women's movement. The author and activist died Saturday of congestive heart failure. She was 85. Harvard historian Nancy Cott discusses Friedan's legacy with Debbie Elliott.

Related NPR Stories

Feb. 4, 2006
      Feminist Pioneer Betty Friedan Dies at 85
      Feb. 11, 1998
      Friedan on Work and Family

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:31 PM

I always thought that feminism got a bad rap--mainly because of people who were nervous about change, particularly change in women's roles.  History will, IMO, place Friedan alongside the great civil rights leaders.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#7 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:40 PM

View PostCall Me Robin, on Feb 6 2006, 11:31 AM, said:

I always thought that feminism got a bad rap--mainly because of people who were nervous about change, particularly change in women's roles.  History will, IMO, place Friedan alongside the great civil rights leaders.

It doesn't help that the media loves to portray radical feminism at it's worse (or best, depending on which way you look I suppose).

But I agree with you Robin.

Kal.
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#8 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:30 PM

View Postwritergroupie, on Feb 4 2006, 01:17 PM, said:

I wasn't sure whether this belonged in GMD or here, but I figured she might be considered more a political figure than entertainment so:

LINK

Almost 2 decades ago she came to speak at my high school. I remember her as a strong, vibrant figure.

RIP

Jill

I met her in the 70's when I was active in NOW (and Bella Abzug, who was just a hoot). She was an amazing person.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Betty Friedan, Author, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users