7 replies to this topic

#1 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:48 PM

http://startrek.perp...ss_starshi.html

The STO website has a new press release (they hired another realy-real Star Trek designer!) and a new blog from the developers talking about building a real Galaxy class starship that actualy CAN handle thousands of humanoids (at least virtual ones! :D ) it is a fun read for any Star Trek fan even if you aren't interested in the game.

There is also some early concept art of the science deck and the spiffy looking computer core! Including those levitating chairs that are in the art books.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 08 February 2006 - 08:51 AM.

Posted Image

#2 White Tiger

White Tiger

God, The Universe and everything...

• Islander
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:59 PM

I have built several interiors to Ships and bridges, yet I beilve this will be quite different as the model itself cannot be too complex and much of the detail will rely on the textures, bump maps etc.
I hope their will be planet fall, personal shuttles, and plent-o-combat to keep the game interesting....and not just grinding....but actual game play.

I'll tell you one thing, a few others and myself had determined how you can make TOTALLY custom ships and have them added to an MMO. It would require the cooperation of the dev's.
Complete custom vessels would have to follow under strict guidelines set by the Dev's (Size of file, polygons yadayadayada...) and then have that vessel added to an update pack.
Problem is....everyones updates would eventually lead to a MASSIVE strain on the Hard drives of every player.
Could you imagine 30,000 Custom made models and ships....yeeeesh :blink:
Hatred ever kills, love never dies such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred.
M.Ghandi.
And the ONE MILLIONTH POSTER ON EXISLE!

#3 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:20 PM

Back in '96. I bought the "Star Trek Enterprise D Blueprints" at a book store.  Pages and pages of every deck in full detail.  Man I really love that purchase.  I wonder if they are using this as a base for a 3-D model?  The ship is actually pretty huge.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,876 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:04 PM

They did mention using those blueprints (the Sternbach blueprints) as one of their references, but adapting them to their needs -- the rationale being that this is a different, later ship of the same class.

And those blueprints, while impressive, have some significant omissions.  For instance, on the external plans there are arboretum windows on the upper rear half of the saucer, but in the corresponding place on the interiors, there is no arboretum shown, just cargo bays.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:59 PM

View PostChristopher, on Feb 7 2006, 08:04 PM, said:

They did mention using those blueprints (the Sternbach blueprints) as one of their references, but adapting them to their needs -- the rationale being that this is a different, later ship of the same class.

That makes sense.  It's only natural and logical that there would be some changes and improvements along the way.  Sounds cool. :)

And those blueprints, while impressive, have some significant omissions.  For instance, on the external plans there are arboretum windows on the upper rear half of the saucer, but in the corresponding place on the interiors, there is no arboretum shown, just cargo bays.

I never noticed that.  Hmmm...wonder what other mistakes were made.  :D
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#6 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:02 AM

View PostWhite Tiger, on Feb 8 2006, 12:59 AM, said:

I hope their will be planet fall, personal shuttles, and plent-o-combat to keep the game interesting....and not just grinding....but actual game play.

The FAQ at the website can give you more detail but the short answer is YES! :D

The game will include planet missions, starbases in space and on planets as well as starships, starship missions and travel including shuttles and shuttle misisons.

I'll tell you one thing, a few others and myself had determined how you can make TOTALLY custom ships and have them added to an MMO. It would require the cooperation of the dev's.
Complete custom vessels would have to follow under strict guidelines set by the Dev's (Size of file, polygons yadayadayada...) and then have that vessel added to an update pack.
Problem is....everyones updates would eventually lead to a MASSIVE strain on the Hard drives of every player.

In a perfect world I would love this but not if it causes strain to the game. As a avid CoH player I can tell you of the weeks of lag that adding CoV caused when it was folded into CoH! I can't even imagine the horror of on going player made ships!  :crazy:

However maybe this would work on a limited basis? Maybe they could have yearly contests where player groups submidt plans for new ship types in a contest? That would be pretty sweet! Your guild cruising the galaxy in a one of a kind ship complete with NX tags? Priceless!  :cool:

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 08 February 2006 - 09:04 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,876 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:44 AM

View PostSpidey, on Feb 7 2006, 11:59 PM, said:

I never noticed that.  Hmmm...wonder what other mistakes were made.  :D

Well, the arboretum is the only outright contradiction I noted, but there are a few omissions.  For instance, some of the Jefferies tubes established in the show (such as the one over Ten Forward in "Power Play" and the one leading to the bridge in "Brothers") are not shown, and there are no interiors of the Captain's Yacht or the nacelles.  But those are the only significant shortfalls I noted.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#8 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

View PostenTranced, on Feb 8 2006, 06:02 AM, said:

In a perfect world I would love this but not if it causes strain to the game. As a avid CoH player I can tell you of the weeks of lag that adding CoV caused when it was folded into CoH! I can't even imagine the horror of on going player made ships!  :crazy:

However maybe this would work on a limited basis? Maybe they could have yearly contests where player groups submidt plans for new ship types in a contest? That would be pretty sweet! Your guild cruising the galaxy in a one of a kind ship complete with NX tags? Priceless!  :cool:

enTranced

If you were to have sometihng of that sort, it would probably be more of a Guild Wars style of updating.  In Guild Wars, the textures and models were downloaded while you play, if you went to a location and you did not have all the models for it, while loading the zone you would download what you did not have.  There are ways to even out the distribution of what is downloaded when so that you usually have the models for everything you run into, but you coould also assign a Cache size, an ammount of space on your harddrive for model information, and using an LFU, or LRU protocol you could simply download the models that you dont have as you need them, throwing out old models from the cache that you don't see often or have not seen often.  While it would increase the bandwidth requirements, it could make it more concievable.

Another idea would be to have NPCs whitch you could submit a request for a custom ship to.  Then you get a form of communication to whitch you can upload models, drawings, pictures, descriptions, ideas to whitch the developers, for a certain ammount of ingame money, would then go over the ideas, and assist in developing the artwork and 3D models for your custom starship to be in keeping with the standards of the videogame.

Edited by Zanthra, 08 February 2006 - 04:33 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users