• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:02 AM

Iran Newspaper Plans Holocaust Cartoons

In response to the 'mohammad cartoons' and in keeping with htier current view on the Holocaust.

Jeez.

#2 Narc

Narc

Confuse the issue, mk. II -- now with cake!

• Islander
  • 6,930 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:53 AM

That's... uh... weird... and just slightly, oh, I dunno, dumb?

Or do I just not see the genius behind it?

/Wonder what'll happen.
Smile -- it's contagious! Posted Image

Visit Narc's home on the Interwebs!
Read the Ramblings of Narc!
I'm not a twit anymore, but I am an identicat instead!

#3 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:30 AM

Well there ya go, an eye or an eye or cartoon in this instance.  Pretty childish if you ask me.  :crazy:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

They're wondering if we'll chant infront of their embassies and burn their flags? *snorts*

People might look at them and get disgusted, but I'll be very surprised if they get more than indifference in most of the west after that.

Edited by sierraleone, 10 February 2006 - 10:11 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:25 AM

Personally, I think its a great idea (even though I think that their views on the holocaust are dangerous, and deserving of censure).  I wish they had put forward that idea in place of the whole rioting thing.   A war of words should remain a war of words - lives should not be lost.  AND - certainly the world would want to "talk" to the Iranians if they persist in promoting their views on the holocaust - it could have created a platform for dialogue on the views put forward about Prophet Muhammad, instead of heaping more scorn on His good name.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 Niki Jane

Niki Jane

fantastic!

• Islander
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:09 AM

In a way, I can see where they're coming from. Cartoons that were offensive to them were run in the news and now, in retaliation, they plan to run cartoons offensive to those who ran the original cartoons. An eye for an eye, so to speak. What's good for the goose, etc, etc.

On one hand, I agree with them. If you can dish it out, surely you can take it.

But on the other hand, we're talking about something much more serious than school yard insults. This type of thing will likely errupt into actual physical violence and lives will be lost.

Personally, I think they're all behaving like children (only, these children are armed with guns rather than temper tantrums and blocks) and I wish someone would send them to opposite corners until they can play nice.

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:12 AM

Lives have already been lost to this childish idiocy.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

View Postniki blue, on Feb 10 2006, 11:09 AM, said:

But on the other hand, we're talking about something much more serious than school yard insults. This type of thing will likely errupt into actual physical violence and lives will be lost.

Why?  If we're saying, as we have been in the other thread, that the offensive cartoons should not have resulted in physical violence before, why should we expect them to in this case?  There are many who say that the violence erupted because it was muslims. Obviously I disagree, but in this case, we're talking about Jewish people.  So - are we now suggesting that they too will erupt into violence as a result of some offensive cartoons?

If violence is going to erupt - it's going to erupt because of hatred that goes far deeper than any cartoon.    The cartoons back and forth are an appropriate way for the newspapers to foster dialogue - if that is indeed what they hope for.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#9 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:17 AM

So let me get this straight. A Danish newspaper prints cartoons of Mahammad so to "get even" (or prove a point..whatever), they decide to print cartoons about millions of Jews being killed?

Am I missing something here?

#10 Niki Jane

Niki Jane

fantastic!

• Islander
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:18 AM

If violence is going to erupt - it's going to erupt because of hatred that goes far deeper than any cartoon.

Yes, the main root of the violence is the deep hatred.

But the cartoon will be a catalyst.

Edited by niki blue, 10 February 2006 - 11:19 AM.

#11 Cyncie

Cyncie

Cool Daddio!

• Islander
  • 689 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

View PostLover of Purple, on Feb 10 2006, 11:17 AM, said:

So let me get this straight. A Danish newspaper prints cartoons of Mahammad so to "get even" (or prove a point..whatever), they decide to print cartoons about millions of Jews being killed?

Am I missing something here?

Actually, I think its rather telling that instead of retaliating against those who actually published the cartoon, they chose to "retaliate" against Israel, who, as far as I can see, has nothing to do with this.

~Cyn

Goodnight, Sweetheart
Well, it's time to go...

#12 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:38 AM

1. Yes, LoP - you got it right.

2. Yes, Cyncie - it is very telling.

3. Isn't it better than rioting?  And, am I wrong in suggesting that the international outcry over holocaust cartoons will spur conversation on the subject of offensive cartoons?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:51 AM

Add one more thing on to the list of reasons why Iran should be nuked from the borders of Iraq Russia and Afganistan.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#14 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:57 AM

Thank you, G1223.

Meanwhile, Baha'is, under persecution from the Iranian government, would go up in that nuclear cloud, right along with those that you hate.

Oh, and we of course forget the numerous youth and progressive Muslims who are upset that they lost in the elections, but who are working to build up for the next election?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#15 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:19 PM

And another decade of hearing how these young people will someday get rid of their fundmentalist government. Is that going to be in this century or the lifetime of someone born today?

You have a group of men who want to get the bomb so they can threaten Israel. They are not going to listen to reason. They will react to sactions like it's a threat to their well being. Then promise to sell their bombs to terrorists if the sanctions are put in place. And Elected a Hostage taker as President.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#16 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:32 PM

View PostG1223, on Feb 10 2006, 07:19 PM, said:

You have a group of men who want to get the bomb so they can threaten Israel. They are not going to listen to reason. They will react to sactions like it's a threat to their well being. Then promise to sell their bombs to terrorists if the sanctions are put in place. And Elected a Hostage taker as President.

So you automatically assume the goverment of Iran is lying when they say they want nuclear power, and that legally they have a right to that?

I wonder if it makes it easier to call for the desctruction of an entire nation and all it's people if you just assume the goverment is lying.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#17 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

View PostG1223, on Feb 10 2006, 12:19 PM, said:

And another decade of hearing how these young people will someday get rid of their fundmentalist government. Is that going to be in this century or the lifetime of someone born today?

For once we are in agreement. There is no other reason to run holocost cartoons but to attempt to enrage Isrealies. Probably wont work, but nothing is sure these days.

And, am I wrong in suggesting that the international outcry over holocaust cartoons will spur conversation on the subject of offensive cartoons?

In a perfect world, the first cartoons would have sparked such a conversation, but in todays world, it'll probably start a fight.
Can't Touch This!!

#18 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:55 PM

Yep, now THAT makes sense right? :crazy:  I wonder how this cartoon differs from any of the hundreds of OTHER cartoons printed in the mideast that insult jews? You know the ones depicting Sharon in the sack with Hitler and the like.

So you automatically assume the goverment of Iran is lying when they say they want nuclear power, and that legally they have a right to that?

To be honest, I DO beleive they're lying and apparently so do alot of other countries...but then I'M not calling for a Nuke strike so I can afford to think that way.

I wonder about this as well. Yes you have a movement amongst the young within the country for a more progressive governement, we also had a movement like that in China, how'd that one work out?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:02 PM

View PostLin731, on Feb 10 2006, 07:55 PM, said:

To be honest, I DO beleive they're lying and apparently so do alot of other countries...but then I'M not calling for a Nuke strike so I can afford to think that way.

Fair enough. Personally I think the odds are high that an Iranian goverment with the capacity to enrich Uranium would eventually produce Nuclear weapons. However what I haven't seen is evidence that it will be this one.

A lot of people are saying that is what will happen, but no evidence is brought forward to support it.

Incidentally, if that is the intent, then Europe and American have played right into their hands by referring them to the security council, an action which they said well in advance would give them reason to throw out the IAEA inspectors.

With the inspectors in Iran, the process could be monitored and overseen, without them, all that remains is speculation and a truly frightening amount of fearmongering from several goverments.

Unless of course someone believes that the Iranians are THAT good and THAT capable that they could pull the wool over every single inspector's eyes all the time. And frankly, if they were that good, they wouldn't have needed to throw them out in the first place.

Defy Gravity!

#20 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:05 PM

I posted an article recently that had some evidence about uranium enrichment and why its only use would be for a bomb a little while ago, I'll go see if I can find it.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, Iran Newspaper, Holocaust Cartoons, Iran

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users