• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:33 AM

I was watching I believe MSNBC this afternoon, when I say something rather disturbing, and aggravating.  Five months after Katrina's flooding of New Orleans, thousands of people are still without homes, and virtually no attempt has been made to clean up the decimated neighborhoods that still lay in ruins.  To make matters worse, 11,000 mobile homes have been bought by FEMA for many of the victims who lost everything.  They paid $45,000,000 for these things, and guess where they are all sitting at???  Arkansas!  At $250,000 a month at a cow pasture!  The governor or Arkansas wants them moved to New Orleans, and is doing his best to.  FEMA's excuse?  They will not place any mobile home in a flood zone.  Most of New Orleans IS a flood zone.  They knew this, yet they still ordered these things that are just sitting empty over 450 miles away in another state.  What is wrong with FEMA???  Florida and other states have managed to get back on their feet much better than poor New Orleans has.  The Carolina's and Florida have been slammed pretty badly before, and nothing like this has happened to them.  Sure, Katrina was a doozy, but still, it isn't something that can't be managed.  This is disgusting.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:32 PM

View PostSpidey, on Feb 11 2006, 01:33 AM, said:

I was watching I believe MSNBC this afternoon, when I say something rather disturbing, and aggravating. Five months after Katrina's flooding of New Orleans, thousands of people are still without homes, and virtually no attempt has been made to clean up the decimated neighborhoods that still lay in ruins. To make matters worse, 11,000 mobile homes have been bought by FEMA for many of the victims who lost everything. They paid $45,000,000 for these things, and guess where they are all sitting at??? Arkansas! At $250,000 a month at a cow pasture! The governor or Arkansas wants them moved to New Orleans, and is doing his best to. FEMA's excuse? They will not place any mobile home in a flood zone. Most of New Orleans IS a flood zone. They knew this, yet they still ordered these things that are just sitting empty over 450 miles away in another state. What is wrong with FEMA??? Florida and other states have managed to get back on their feet much better than poor New Orleans has. The Carolina's and Florida have been slammed pretty badly before, and nothing like this has happened to them. Sure, Katrina was a doozy, but still, it isn't something that can't be managed. This is disgusting.

FEMA are idiots.

The Nineth Ward, which was the worst hit, may not be in the process of being cleaned up by FEMA, but Habitat for Humanity has pledged to rebuild every house.  They're getting lots of donations, and they say it will be a breeze, because there are already existing utilities.

Hell, FEMA could clear the lots, put the mobile homes on them, and they could live in them till Habitat for Humanity can get all the houses built.

Edited to fix my booboo on the ward number. ;)

Edited by Rhea, 12 February 2006 - 02:14 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

That was the Ninth Ward that took the brunt.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:27 PM

FEMA won't do that since the Ninth Ward is a "flood zone".  Then why buy all these things and not use them???  WTF is wrong with this???

I don't live in a flood zone.  I do live in a state where we do occaisionally get earthquakes.  They are far and few in between, and most are mild and short.  But I won't forget when the 1989 earthquake messed up the Marina District in San Francisco.  FEMA did nothing worth mentioning other than give people grief.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#5 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:42 PM

View PostSpidey, on Feb 11 2006, 06:27 PM, said:

why buy all these things and not use them???
The decision to buy them and the decision not to use them were presumably made by different individuals and/or at different times and/or with different information.

#6 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:13 PM

View PostCardie, on Feb 11 2006, 01:40 PM, said:

That was the Ninth Ward that took the brunt.

Cardie

Oops, you're right. And me watching them playing impromptu jazz in the Nineth Ward, which got me started thinking about it in the first place. :p :blush:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, FEMA, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users