10 replies to this topic

#1 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 12:30 AM

http://www.countrywe...nstanceid=57949

According to the Associated Press, two Colorado DJs have been put on suspension for playing the Dixie Chicks on the air.

Dave Moore and Jeff Singer broke the rules of their Colorado Springs radio station when they played a few Chicks songs without the permission of the station manager, who instituted a ban on the band after lead singer Natalie Maines' comments about President Bush.

The station manager, Jerry Grant, admitted that there were discussions about re-introducing the Chicks' music to the airwaves, but the DJs "jumped the gun" when they played a few of their songs earlier this week.

"I gave them an alternative," says station manager Grant. "Stop it now and they'll be on suspension, or they can continue playing them and when they come out of the studio they won't have a job."

It looks like there are still a few stations out there that aren't going to play the Chick's songs. Tell you the truth, I still haven't heard one on the radio here in Oregon yet.

So when does this all end? Is it going to end?

Rommie :cylon:
Posted Image

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 12:32 AM

Well, violating corporate policy is going to get you fired. I think this makes the right wing and Bush look extraordinarily bad--- even though Bush has nothing to do with it-- and is petty.

That being said, the corporation does have a right to set policy.... and to fire those who violate it.

Here's hoping those two DJ's rebound with a new job ASAP.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 12:56 AM

Well, they are back on the air here in Bend. I don't know about the rest of Oregon though. :)

#4 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 01:01 AM

Lover of Purple, on May 7 2003, 03:43 PM, said:

Well, they are back on the air here in Bend. I don't know about the rest of Oregon though. :)
Well, I don't listen to country stations, but their song about "Mirror in the Sky" or something like that, was played prodominantly here in Medford, on one of the local Hit Stations. And since this whole hulla-baloo, I haven't heard hide nor hair about em'.

Rommie :cylon:

#5 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 02:49 AM

Now I'm just getting bored with this story...

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#6 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 03:02 AM

MuseZack, on May 7 2003, 07:36 PM, said:

Now I'm just getting bored with this story...

Zack
^ I concur.

It's a political opinion, but it was worded badly.
Why must this keep going on?  It only makes those involved in the banning look bad.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#7 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 03:25 AM

It only makes those involved in the banning look bad.

Not a bad thing.

:nervousninja:  :thumbs-up:  :Oo:
Can't Touch This!!

#8 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:51 AM

For Gahd's sakes can we please let this go.

The war's over, lift the ban and those who don't like it change the freakin' station.

Smeggin' Hell.    :dontgetit:

-cs™

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:11 AM

Hey there are folks who remember and refuse to watch Jane Fonda for her support of N.Veitnam.

Hey the guy broke the rules of his employers. He caught hell for it and that is between him and the station. Would we be debating this if he showed up notibly drunk or under the influnce of drugs and made an ass of himself and his employers tearing his ass off.

I doubt it. Some folks are not going to be all sins forgiven you chicks are OK. Why should they to them the ladies said something that offened them. Are they to be told shut up we do not like your POV becasue you are unwilling to accept an appolgy?

If so let me know I might want to get out of this place andget back to america.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#10 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:35 AM

G1223, on May 7 2003, 10:58 PM, said:

Hey the guy broke the rules of his employers. He caught hell for it and that is between him and the station. Would we be debating this if he showed up notibly drunk or under the influnce of drugs and made an ass of himself and his employers tearing his ass off.
No, I expect we wouldn't be debating it.

Except they didn't show up drunk, they played a record.  I don't know about your workplace, but my employee manual doesn't treat all offenses with suspension or firing.

Employer has a right to penalize the DJs for a violation of their policy, but this just seems completely overreactive.

Ro

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:39 AM

Mine did. They stated that I could be dismissed for deliberate violation of the company polices whatever they be.

The interpatations  are left to the employer as to the correct form of action to take and they felt firing was best for the company.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Denver DJ's, Suspended, Dixie Chicks

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users