Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Protesters picket Mr. Rogers memorial service

Fred Phelps Westboro Baptist Church Funeral Demonstrations.

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 03:45 AM

Remember the Rev. Fred Phelps and his wacky family, the ones who like to picket the funerals of gay men like Matthew Shephard with signs saying "God hates fags"?  It seems they have a bee in their bonnet over Mr. Rogers, of all people.

(Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) Protestors from the Phelps' clan demonstrated at a memorial service on the weekend for Fred Rogers, the longtime host of "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood."  Picketers held signs saying  "Mr. Rogers is in hell." 
The demonstrators, from the homophobic Fred  Phelps Westboro Baptist in Topeka, Kansas, stood in front of Village Baptist church as friends of relatives of Rogers entered the building.
"He's no better than Matthew Shepherd," said Phelps grandson Sam Phelps-Roper.  Members of the clan demonstrated at Shepherd's funeral.  
Phelps-Roper accused Rogers of being gay. "He was a faggot who poisoned children's minds," he said.  Rogers was married and had two children.  The popular star died last February at the age of 74. 
Other Phelps' clan members demonstrated in North Carolina on the weekend.  One group protested at Fort Bragg. 
One demonstrator carrying a sign reading "Thank God for Sept. 11" said Fort Bragg is "harboring homosexuals."
The group also picketed Baptist churches in the area accusing them of being soft on gays.

One of the protester's signs said, "Southern Baptist Sin" and had a picture of stickmen performing a gay sex act.

A protester dragging an American flag yelled, "You're going to hell. Have a nice day" to people as they entered the church parking lot.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 03:50 AM

Man, do these people need some help. :wacko:  :angry:  :barf:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 03:52 AM

I'm trying to think of some appropriate comment, but this is such abominably bad behaviour that it beggars my usually reliable vocabulary.

I do have an idea of where they can stick their pickets, however. They'll be close to hand whenever needed.

Ro

#4 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 04:45 AM

And just when I thought little Freddy couldn't sink any lower. . .  :angry:

The man (if one wishes to consider him worthy of even *that* title) is a blot on humanity.  Him *and* all of his little followers. . . . :angry:  :glare:
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#5 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:09 AM

I find this sickening. This is one case where I wish Karmic laws where in effect.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#6 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:14 AM

All too common, I'm afraid.

It's too bad that no real action can be taken against them....
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#7 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:15 AM

I see Phelps and his hellish drop are at it again.

Anyone remember an episode of the classic Twilight Zone titled Four 0'Clock ?

Find that ep and watch it, it encompasses Fred Phelps and people like him in a nutshell. Too bad Phelps and his brood won't suffer the same fate as the main character in the episode.

Oh well.

-cs™

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:18 AM

:(
Posted Image

#9 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:19 AM

Javert Rovinski, on May 7 2003, 10:01 PM, said:

IIRC, his daughter is a lawyer, so any lawsuits against him fail horribly.  And there have been quite a few, if memory serves. . .
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#10 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:41 AM

Javert Rovinski, on May 7 2003, 11:01 PM, said:

An out of control semi springs to mind. :unsure:  :suspect:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#11 Chrys

Chrys

Pinions Anonymous

• Islander
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:42 AM

I am again forced to wonder which version of the bible this idiot reads.
Do not disturb. I had a hard enough time getting turbed in the first place.
I bought some batteries, but they weren't included. So I had to buy them again.

#12 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:44 AM

Javert Rovinski, on May 7 2003, 11:01 PM, said:

I take great comfort from the thought that these stupid bastards are in for a HUGE shock come Judgment Day...

#13 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:08 AM

This is just raw hatred and bigotry, like someone who is a racist seeking to prove that someone of the majority race who has physical features even remotely similar to those stereotypical of a minority they despise is only "passing" and is tainted by drops of inferior blood.  It must be terrible to be this afraid of anyone who is not 100% like you.

It's also like the McCarthyite witch hunts.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#14 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:39 AM

<sigh>

#15 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:41 AM

How sick do you have to be to attack Mr. Rogers?  Or Mr. Rogers' reputation at his funeral?

Those people are a disgrace.

#16 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:47 AM

It's the nature of the fanatic.
Nothing is out of bounds for these individuals.
Protesting funerals, blowing up clinics, killing doctors or releasing deadly gas into a subway.

-cs™

#17 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:18 AM

I find the idea of attacking anyone at a funeral to be disgracefull in the extreme. I wonder is some form of lawsuit might be in order.

Everyone should have the right to bury their dearly departed in peace

#18 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:21 AM

Godeskian, on May 7 2003, 11:05 PM, said:

I find the idea of attacking anyone at a funeral to be disgracefull in the extreme. I wonder is some form of lawsuit might be in order.
I wish.

But what charges, exactly?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#19 Han

Han

When all else fails, use fire.

• Islander
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:23 AM

Javert Rovinski, on May 8 2003, 06:08 AM, said:

Godeskian, on May 7 2003, 11:05 PM, said:

I wish.

But what charges, exactly?
"Conduct unbecoming of a human being in society."  :angry:
Han

#20 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:24 AM

malicious mayhem?
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fred Phelps, Westboro Baptist Church, Funeral Demonstrations.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users