Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Protesters picket Mr. Rogers memorial service

Fred Phelps Westboro Baptist Church Funeral Demonstrations.

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:28 AM

I wish Hank :(

Lil-- Perhaps. I'll do some googling. I imagine a group that's been around for as long as these guys knows what they're doing, legally speaking

Incidentally, their webpage can be found here
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#22 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:30 AM

How about that good old fashioned american lawsuit standby 'emotional damage'

I would consider it emotionally damaging to have someone picketing my grandad's funeral.

#23 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:32 AM

Godeskian, on May 7 2003, 11:17 PM, said:

I would consider it emotionally damaging to have someone picketing my grandad's funeral.
Intentional infliction of emotional distress is what you're talking about.

Thing is that these guys will interpose the First Amendment as a defense and there's a good chance that, legally speaking, they're right.

It's frustrating.

Lil
Posted Image

#24 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:32 AM

Godeskian, on May 7 2003, 11:17 PM, said:

It's really not that easy.

As I understand it, only a very small percentage of those cases actually win, and they're very expensive. that being said, these guys may have enough victims to form their own class action suit....

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#25 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:34 AM

Disturbing the peace citations is workable in this instance.

-cs™

#26 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:38 AM

Just be glad they're just being a bunch of loudmouths, it could be worse.

-cs™

#27 Julie

Julie
  • Islander
  • 777 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:45 AM

Those protestors have major issues.  I almost feel sorry for them.

But as disgusting as I find their behavior, I'm not sure how I feel about lawsuits against them.  It seems to me that legal action could start a dangerous, however slight, trend of restricting free speech.

#28 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:47 AM

what about people's right to grieve without being harrased?
what about people's right to not have placards saying 'xxx is a fag and is burnining in hell' waved in their face

or does everything come second to bigots rights to harrass others?

#29 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:49 AM

Chrys, on May 8 2003, 06:29 AM, said:

I am again forced to wonder which version of the bible this idiot reads.
And he's not alone :(
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#30 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:50 AM

True.

Somebody is going to hell, all right. But it 'ain't Mr. Rogers.

tennyson:
I find this sickening. This is one case where I wish Karmic laws where in effect.

Who says they're not? The cycle of Samsara is slow, but it gets 'em all in the end. :devil:

Edited by Kevin Street, 08 May 2003 - 08:55 AM.

Per aspera ad astra

#31 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:50 AM

Chrys, on May 7 2003, 08:29 PM, said:

I am again forced to wonder which version of the bible this idiot reads.
Chrys: I won't reproduce it here, for obvious reasons.... but check out their webpage I linked to earlier. It explains their justifications...

#32 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:53 AM

I've done some more research:

These guys also give God 'credit' for 9/11 and the Columbia space shuttle disaster.

There's also a graphical map where you can click and find out how the wrath of God has been utilized in your state recently.

:look:

#33 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:56 AM

Godeskian, on May 7 2003, 11:34 PM, said:

what about people's right to grieve without being harrased?
what about people's right to not have placards saying 'xxx is a fag and is burnining in hell' waved in their face

or does everything come second to bigots rights to harrass others?
{{{{{{{{{{{{Gode}}}}}}}}}}}}

I don't have any easy answers.  Don't shoot me for bringing up the First Amendment.  I didn't write it.  And I certainly don't support the conduct of these assholic bigots.

Lil
Posted Image

#34 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 09:01 AM

Yow! I clicked on the link to their homepage, and was...strange.

Bad strange.

Brrrrr! :wacko:
Per aspera ad astra

#35 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 09:05 AM

I checked the map, but apparently God is only angry about America, source of all evil :p

They might make a nice coalition with Al-Kaida

Seriously, is this some large movement or just a dozen of very bored individuals?
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#36 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 09:22 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on May 8 2003, 06:43 AM, said:

{{{{{{{{{{{{Gode}}}}}}}}}}}}

I don't have any easy answers.  Don't shoot me for bringing up the First Amendment.  I didn't write it.  And I certainly don't support the conduct of these assholic bigots.
{{{{{Lil}}}}

Don't worry, i won't shoot anyone for bringing up the first amendment, I just occasionally despair at people who think that it is more important that people get to make others miserable, than that people have the right to a life free from persecution.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#37 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 07:05 PM

[EXTREME SARCASM MODE]

Gee, I sure am glad they got all that "Christian"  teaching right.  Cause, y'know, Jesus never preached that whole "Love one another" thing seriously.

[/ ESM] :(

That's just sickening.  Revulsive.  And all those other words that I really shouldn't say period.

Their use of scripture is twisted and laughable on their website, and I was nearly ill when I saw their "Memorial" section.

I got a good verse for them:  "Vengeance is Mine, sayeth the Lord"

Hope they remember it.  Cause whatever they call themselves, it sure as hell isn't Christianity.   :glare:

First Amendment or no, Hate is just wrong. :(  Its more sad than sickening, in a way.
cervisiam tene rem specta

#38 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 07:09 PM

Ro-Astarte, on May 7 2003, 06:39 PM, said:

I'm trying to think of some appropriate comment, but this is such abominably bad behaviour that it beggars my usually reliable vocabulary.

I do have an idea of where they can stick their pickets, however. They'll be close to hand whenever needed.

Ro
I myself would be happy to assist them if, as seems probable, they have trouble finding an appropriate orifice in which to stick them. Unbelievable.  :suspect:  :crazy:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#39 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 07:14 PM

Enmar, on May 7 2003, 11:52 PM, said:

I checked the map, but apparently God is only angry about America, source of all evil :p

They might make a nice coalition with Al-Kaida
Now THERE'S something to put on your reseme.

America: Great satan. Source of all evil. Sole target of God's wrath. Good with children.

Seriously, is this some large movement or just a dozen of very bored individuals?

They're relatively marginal, although that's cold comfort to those who have their funerals picketed....

#40 Taryn Wander'r

Taryn Wander'r

scott pilgrim's precious little lover

• Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:05 PM

You know what, in some naive way I had always thought Fred Phelps was some kind of urban legend until silverwind told me otherwise...

This just makes me sick.

I think it's interesting to note that at one point their website was hacked, and the controls were given to the webmasters of godlovesfags.com...who very promptly gave the website back, because they're just not vindictive. I'm sure being nice and giving the website back was probably the biggest slap in the face Phelps' group could have gotten from a gay organization!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fred Phelps, Westboro Baptist Church, Funeral Demonstrations.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users