Religion Fred Phelps Daughter Protesting Soldiers Funerals

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:30 AM

I can't tell you how disgusted I am with these people. They seriously need mental help. As bad as this article portrays it, you outta see the filmed coverage. It will make you want to shake that crazy woman until her teeth rattle.

http://www.journalst...25295895734.txt

Wearing vests covered in military patches, a band of motorcyclists rolls around the country from one soldier’s funeral to another, cheering respectfully to overshadow jeers from church protesters.

They call themselves the Patriot Guard Riders, and they are more than 5,000 strong, forming to counter anti-gay protests held by the Rev. Fred Phelps at military funerals.

Phelps believes American deaths in Iraq are divine punishment for a country that he says harbors homosexuals. His protesters carry signs thanking God for so-called IEDs — explosives that are a major killer of soldiers in Iraq.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a daughter of Fred Phelps and an attorney for the Topeka, Kan.-based church, said neither state laws nor the Patriot Guard can silence their message that God killed the soldiers because they fought for a country that embraces homosexuals.

“The scriptures are crystal clear that when God sets out to punish a nation, it is with the sword. An IED is just a broken-up sword,” Phelps-Roper said. “Since that is his weapon of choice, our forum of choice has got to be a dead soldier’s funeral.”

The church, Westboro Baptist Church, is not affiliated with a larger denomination and is made up mostly of Fred Phelps’ extended family members.

During the 1990s, church members were known mostly for picketing the funerals of AIDS victims, and they have long been tracked as a hate group by the Montgomery, Ala.-based Southern Poverty Law Center’s Intelligence Project.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:34 AM

They were here for a Ft. Campbell funeral too.  Even here in the buckle of the bible belt these people are perceived as nuts.

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:40 AM

never mind. I'm going blind

Edited by Godeskian, 25 February 2006 - 11:44 AM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:42 AM

That is as bad as radical Islam calling for the death of infidels or cheering when non-muslims meet sticky ends.

Cant they be charged under some sort of hatred law or incitements/glorifiation of murder?
Posted Image

#5 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:50 AM

Cant they be charged under some sort of hatred law or incitements/glorifiation of murder?

Currently, apparently not but some state legislatures are moving to create legislation banning such disgusting behavior...I can't help but shake my head though, given there was no rush to legislate all the years these nutjobs were protesting at gay funerals.

Edited by Lin731, 25 February 2006 - 11:50 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:55 AM

Its 'easier' to let the gays be attacked than intervene but not so easy to see the soldiers facing ridicule for something entirely unconnected with them. Legislatures are lazy and only make a move the disrupt the status quo when they REALLY need to in order to keep people on their side.
Posted Image

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:58 AM

If she thinks that all that murky stuff in the bible is "crystal clear," then she is well and truly nuts.   :blink:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:59 AM

yep. The bible is far from "crystal clear" on this subject.
Posted Image

#9 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:26 PM

The Westboro Baptist protesters...what goes around comes around, and for them and others of their ilk, may it come sooner rather than later.

And if this were happening in England I'd be screaming for the new law against 'Glorification of Terrorism' to be leveled full bore against them.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#10 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:37 PM

View PostShalamar, on Feb 25 2006, 10:26 AM, said:

The Westboro Baptist protesters...what goes around comes around, and for them and others of their ilk, may it come sooner rather than later.
Amen to that!

And if this were happening in England I'd be screaming for the new law against 'Glorification of Terrorism' to be leveled full bore against them.
And that too!  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#11 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:55 PM

Are these morons even remotely worthy of our time?  I've seen them in person twice.  Once when they came to Long Island, and once when they decided to set up shop in front of Christopher Pier on the anniversary of 9/11 (handily conflating their two major issues--gays and 9/11).  

If we ignore them, they WILL go away.  After all, they're just doing it to get attention (like a temper tanrtum) and there aren't that many of em.

Conversely, I applaud the bikers--even if they go out of their way to say they're not doing it out of solidarity with gays.  No one's funeral should be fair game for this sort of nonsense.

Edited by _ph, 25 February 2006 - 02:55 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#12 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

_ph to me it is far more that just nonsense- to me it ought to be charged at least under public indecentsy, if not out and out hate crime ( for is not their hate a crime that is disturbing the solemn nature of the proceedings and causeing harm to others )

I hope the various lawmakers get up off their padded asses and get laws against such evil ( and yes I call what they are doing flat out and out evil) curtailed.

And a big round of applause for the bikers, very much agreed
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#13 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

I'm of two minds about laws against it.  (Though that hardly matters--they're in the pipeline).  On the one hand, it will be good to have the nuisance presented by these people dealt with.  On the other, won't they just feather their cap with this and make a lot more noise in other ways?  And possibly gain the sympathy of some who share their prejudices but not their methods?  

I just think these 30-odd inbred bigots will eventually go away if we ignore them.  (Though I admit I was freaking out when I first heard about them heckling the Matthew Shepherd funeral.  God, that seems a long time ago now, doesn't it?)

#14 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:04 PM

I just think these 30-odd inbred bigots will eventually go away if we ignore them.

Grammar, ph! That should be "'30 inbred odd bigots."   :devil:
Posted Image

#15 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:56 PM

I don't know _ph, I just don't know.

I guess I was well raised enough that even the thought of doing something like what these...people...are doing is anathema to me.  I can not see useing ones religious beliefs in such a despicable way. I can not see trying to convince people of the 'rightness of my position' in the ways people/groups like these are doing.

I depise these people on the same level that I despise Peta - beyond civilized measure.

Posted Image

#16 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

_ph, I understand what you mean on the principle of it but these are real families mourning the loss of a loved one. Have you seen the CNN footage of that crazy blankety, blank? The grieving widow asks her to leave (as have others at the funeral), she get's in her face screaming that it's her fault her husband is dead and a bunch of other nonsense. It's horrible enough to bury someone you love, worse yet to have your grieving compounded by a crazy #&%*! spewing hurtful crap in your face on the worst day of your life. If she continues, things WILL get violent, I know it would if she showed up at a funeral of someone I loved.

Edited by Lin731, 25 February 2006 - 04:41 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:30 PM

I certainly hope the God that Phelps says he worships with deal with him according to his actions. If so, he'll be burning in some level of hell.

How DARE he spew his venom out at where grieving family members have to hear him? Gah.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#18 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:19 AM

View PostNonny, on Feb 25 2006, 10:37 AM, said:

View PostShalamar, on Feb 25 2006, 10:26 AM, said:

Amen to that!

And that too!  

Nonny

I would like to add my Amen's to those as well.  Well said, Shalamar.

On a bright note, there is a group of bikers who are countering these protests by riding between the protestors, and blocking them off and keeping them at a good distance from the funerals.  They play music to drown out their shouts, and bring American flags with them.  A widow with two kids was so grateful, she joined this group who are now 5000 strong.  God bless them!  I am so damned p*ssed over this protesting BS, that I am seriously considering in joining myself to block these sick protestors.

One of the things that really gets my goat are religious nutcases who really need a serious dose of reality check.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#19 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:31 AM

Here's a link about the bikers I was referring to:

http://news.yahoo.co...l_motorcyclists
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#20 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:04 AM

View Postwaterpanther, on Feb 25 2006, 03:04 PM, said:

I just think these 30-odd inbred bigots will eventually go away if we ignore them.

Grammar, ph! That should be "'30 inbred odd bigots."   :devil:

:hehe:

View PostLin731, on Feb 25 2006, 04:40 PM, said:

_ph, I understand what you mean on the principle of it but these are real families mourning the loss of a loved one. Have you seen the CNN footage of that crazy blankety, blank?

No, but I've seen their group in person twice.  (Once because I went, once by chance).  What you describe is the kind of thing I've seen, though not with a grieving widow.  

They're obviously quite mad.  And angry, too.  :wacko:

If she continues, things WILL get violent, I know it would if she showed up at a funeral of someone I loved.

Of course, that's kinda what they want.  I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Fred Phelps, Daughter, Protesting, Soldiers Funerals

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users