• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:28 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Mar 21 2006, 07:03 AM, said:

I'd love to see all people who are deeply offended by this bunch of nutcases (and fortunately, a vast majority of us are offended by them) gather to protest outside the Phelps' family's church, day after day. It could actually be fun. :)

Now that's an idea that I could get behind.  :)

Edited by Balderdash, 21 March 2006 - 08:28 AM.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#102 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:35 AM

Course, that's just what they want, to give weight to their claims of oppression.  They're throwing a temper tantrum.  IMO, rewarding that behavior with attention is the worst thing we can do.  Same as with your typical two year old.  :)  

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#103 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

View PostThemis, on Mar 10 2006, 08:48 AM, said:

They have the right to assemble and say what they want unless there are enough of them to need a permit.  But aren't the churches and cemetaries private property?  These nuts can assemble outside the venue but they wouldn't have any protected right to be in the church (or whatever) or anywhere near the gravesite, would they?  Seems like they were outside the cemetary here.

They're getting publicity.  Have they gotten anybody to join them or are they just spreading the view that they're seriously nuts?

Themis

They follow the law, or they would have been arrested repeatedly.

The old standard "I may not agree with what you say, but I will die for your right to say it" comes into play. Valtaire, or one of our founders here in the USA.  Doesn't matter who said it first, it's still true.
Can't Touch This!!

#104 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:25 AM

Looks like the US House of Representatives is putting the foot down

*applauds*

Though i'd like to see these jokers try and protest The Wall or the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier, the Tomb Sentries would probably take a very dim view on that.

#105 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:54 AM

What really makes me laugh about people who are homophobic is that few if any of these people know anyone who is homosexual, and seem to think that homosexuals exhibit clannish behaviour, move about in groups, and hang out in various types of mysterious organisations.

They seem blind to the fact that  homosexuals are just normal people who go about their lives and are fully integrated into modern society as doctors, lawyers, police men and women, teachers, football players, hockey players, firemen, city workers, burger flippers, janitors . . . same occupations as everyone else.

Hating homosexuals is like hating cats because they think they should really be dogs, and trying to dismiss their behaviour as a "lifestyle choice".

Some of the morning televangelists are taking license from the right-wing nuthouse and are openly talking about the "problem" of homosexuality, and are using words like "depravity" and "morally corrupt" and "corrupting our young people" and other such nonsense.

Do we arrest these idiots for preaching hate? I don't know. But I do wish they'd shut up.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#106 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:38 AM

View Postgsmonks, on May 12 2006, 06:54 AM, said:

What really makes me laugh about people who are homophobic is that few if any of these people know anyone who is homosexual,

Actually, I think they probably *all* know homosexuals--they may not realize it, but they do.  

Some of the morning televangelists are taking license from the right-wing nuthouse and are openly talking about the "problem" of homosexuality, and are using words like "depravity" and "morally corrupt" and "corrupting our young people" and other such nonsense.

Do we arrest these idiots for preaching hate? I don't know. But I do wish they'd shut up.

No, not unless they cross the line into inciting violence, and even then, unless it was a straight-forward, "go kill you some queers," it would be tricky.  Look at the case of the kid who shot and hatcheted him some gays a couple of months ago at a bar in suburban Boston (google "Puzzles Lounge")--He had ties to Neo-Nazi groups, but the groups themselves have suffered no adverse consequences as yet for their association with this ... individual (who was probably a self-loathing closet case).  

Better to simply monitor them (as the Southern Poverty Law Center and other groups do so well)--while giving them all the rope they need to hang themselves.  As they invariably do (e.g., World Church of the Creator).  Unfortunately, that usually involves bloodshed, but the alternative--Thought Police--is far worse for society as a whole.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Fred Phelps, Daughter, Protesting, Soldiers Funerals

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users