• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:00 PM

Lets see if they are brave enough to go to some living military people and tell them to their face that their fallen comrades dying is divine punishment for the USA harboring homosexuals.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#42 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:34 PM

I hate what these people do, but I'm never going to be for legislation against free speach. First it's this group, then someone else says something that people don't like, and we make laws against them, and before you know it, China will have more free speach then we have.

I have no problem legislating against "free speech" at funerals. For me it comes down to respect for the family and respect for the dead.  I wouldn't call what these folks are doing "free speech" I'd call it "hate speach". Now I'm big on free speech, right of assembly, right to protest and 99.9 percent of the time I will oppose ANY restrictions on speech but this is that 1/10th of a percent where I don't. Hurling hateful spew as families attempt to bury their dead is just wrong. I don't care who they are, what the issues are, it simply has no place in such a setting.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:22 PM

Next, we wont be able to speak out at ralleys, or have the right to assemble for something that is viewed as ugly by others.

If a state makes a law forbidding protests at funerals, and the Phelps people take it to the supreme court, chances are that they would win, and get even more publicity

The Bikers have the right idea. Disrupt the disruptors, and make it difficult for them to protest. And show up where ever they do.
Can't Touch This!!

#44 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:36 PM

View PostLin731, on Feb 28 2006, 12:34 PM, said:

I have no problem legislating against "free speech" at funerals. For me it comes down to respect for the family and respect for the dead.  I wouldn't call what these folks are doing "free speech" I'd call it "hate speach".
The very essence of free speech is that one is free to speak hatefully, and to disrespect the dead or the living if one so chooses. After all, what's the point of only protecting speech that no one finds objectionable?

#45 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:40 PM

My approach to this is the same as my approach to Nazis:  I don't want the government imposing any limits on their freedom of speech.  They should be able to say whatever they want... as long as they're willing to pay for it.  

So, they can show up and protest funerals... but I won't mind if they get a really, really bad reaction from some citizens.  Fred's moron squad can say what they want, but if some relative of the deceased hauls off and makes them bite the curb for it, I don't have a problem with that.

Free speech doesn't give anyone the right to be unopposed.  The first ammendment says the government shall make no laws restricting free speech.  It doesn't say that one is exempt from consequences for what they're saying, as long as those consequences are not dealt out by the government.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#46 rponiarski

rponiarski

Still crazy after all these years...

• Islander
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:06 PM

Nice to see a motorcycle group get some good press from time to time. We riders are pretty invisible to most folks...right before they turn into us because "I didn't see you"! :angry:

Sounds like a great group, though, even if I am not a HOG riders... :cool:
Richard M. Poniarski
Everyone is entitled to live in the reality of their own choosing...

#47 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:01 PM

View Postsierraleone, on Feb 27 2006, 09:54 PM, said:

I honestly hope when Phelps dies his family is able to grieve in peace. Without protestors at his funeral.

you must be joking.  let all those the fake "Reverend" and his inbred family harassed at the funerals of their loved ones show up with signs bearing nasty messages about how he WILL be going to hell and the other many truths about him.

personally i'd love to know why he isn't in prison for abusing his children.  there is another website i read once where two or three children smart enough to get away from that disaster have listed chapter and verse the amount of abuse the fake "Reverend" aka their father put them through.

i'd also love to know what moron is giving them permits to harass funerals.  they shouldn't even grant them the permits.  they have every right to deny them based on their history of behavior and the fact that they are a hate group, not a church.

forgot to say kudos to these bikers for barring them from disrupting the funerals!  i suppose it would be too much to hope for one of them to "accidentally" run a few of the inbreds (especially Mr. Fake Reverend himself) over? :devil:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#48 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:27 PM

So, they can show up and protest funerals... but I won't mind if they get a really, really bad reaction from some citizens. Fred's moron squad can say what they want, but if some relative of the deceased hauls off and makes them bite the curb for it, I don't have a problem with that.

See I'd love that idea if not for the fact someone would land in jail for giving them exactly what they had coming...a fist in the face. I was really happy to see the bikers show up there, one playing bagpipes to drowned that crazy &!#%@& out.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#49 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

View PostDev F, on Feb 28 2006, 03:36 PM, said:

View PostLin731, on Feb 28 2006, 12:34 PM, said:

I have no problem legislating against "free speech" at funerals. For me it comes down to respect for the family and respect for the dead.  I wouldn't call what these folks are doing "free speech" I'd call it "hate speach".
The very essence of free speech is that one is free to speak hatefully, and to disrespect the dead or the living if one so chooses. After all, what's the point of only protecting speech that no one finds objectionable?

Exactly!!
Can't Touch This!!

#50 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:42 PM

^ sorry but this is the kind of crap that can lead to religious persecution on any level--towards any group.  the fake "reverend" and his inbreds make other Christians (and to that extent, other Baptists--tho i personally have yet to meet any sane Baptists) look bad.  or have we not noticed the church burnings in Atlanta?  similar incidents could start once more the next time these freaks disrupt a military funeral.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#51 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:33 AM

This is simply yet another example of abusing one's freedom of speech.  This sort of action should not be tolerated, as it violates something that no one should ever disturb; a burial of a fallen soldier.  Nothing would give me more pleasure than me excersing my freedom of expression by firmly planting my fist in a few of those protestors faces.  Yet, we all know what would happen in that scenario.

A family has lost a loved one.  Usually it is a person who has only been on this earth for 18-25 years, and some older.  It is a devasting blow to any family, and they must endure a lot of pain for some time to come because of it.  Also, these are men and women who did their duty to the best of their abilities.  They had the bravery to do it, and met their objectives head on.  They died by the hands of cowards, or in the heat of battle.  All should be honored.

The US military gets an all too often bad wrap.  But, you know, it is this military that does its best to keep America safe.  It is this military whose men and women enlist voluntarily to do just that.  So, before anyone goes out waving a protest sign, saying things like God is punishing them, should think about how they are able to say such things in public without getting shot like they would in a much more restrictive country.  Too many Americans are a little too comfortable with their freedoms, and that worries me.  Being able to enjoy our freedoms didn't come free.  It was fought for and won by spilling blood.  No one gave us our freedom.  It came at a price, a price people here before us were more than willing to die for.  And it was worth it.  And all those who fought and/or died for those freedoms, as well as all who have continued to keep the United States safe from outside threats that have or may arise again, more than deserve respect from civilians.  Give the 1st Amendment a g*dd*mn rest.  If it weren't for soldiers-brave men and women who served their country, there might not be a 1st Amendment.

Edited to fix boo-boo's.  Swear filter works good.  :p :)

Edited by Spidey, 02 March 2006 - 03:40 AM.

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#52 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:26 PM

View PostCheile, on Mar 1 2006, 07:42 PM, said:

^ sorry but this is the kind of crap that can lead to religious persecution on any level--towards any group.  the fake "reverend" and his inbreds make other Christians (and to that extent, other Baptists--tho i personally have yet to meet any sane Baptists) look bad.  or have we not noticed the church burnings in Atlanta?  similar incidents could start once more the next time these freaks disrupt a military funeral.

Religion has nothing to do with it. They are US citizens, and have right to do what they do, however revolting the rest of us may find it.
Can't Touch This!!

#53 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:56 PM

View PostKosh, on Mar 3 2006, 09:26 AM, said:

Religion has nothing to do with it. They are US citizens, and have right to do what they do, however revolting the rest of us may find it.

religion has EVERYTHING to do with it when they are using it to spew their hatred.  they are not going out as "the Fred Phelps family".  they are going out as "Westboro Baptist Church".

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#54 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:15 PM

If I were a Christian, I'd really have it in for the Phelps's, for misrepresenting the faith.  As is, I still think they're horrible non-representatives of any religion, but it's no skin off my back since I advocate non-belief.  If I was a believer, though, I'd be tempted to dog-stomp Freddie and work on how to reconcile that with the whole "turn the other cheek" thing later.  He's got to make legit Christians even madder than he does everyone else...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#55 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:41 PM

View PostCheile, on Mar 3 2006, 12:56 PM, said:

View PostKosh, on Mar 3 2006, 09:26 AM, said:

religion has EVERYTHING to do with it when they are using it to spew their hatred.  they are not going out as "the Fred Phelps family".  they are going out as "Westboro Baptist Church".

This is about hate, not God.

If more christains would get together, and turn up anywhere Phelps and company turn up, along with the Bikers, you might be able to convince them that it isn't worth it anymore, and at the same time, show the world that this is one group of nuts, and not how christains really feel, although, most christains I know personally, don't care about the gay crowd. My Brother-In-Law even calls them "Gaybobs". He's one of the best people I've ever seen otherwise.
Can't Touch This!!

#56 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:04 AM

They've stopped doing it in four states due to new laws passed in them:

http://www.kansas.co...te/14049511.htm

The Topeka-based Westboro Baptist Church aborted plans to demonstrate at soldiers' funerals in Oklahoma, Indiana, Missouri and Wisconsin this past week. All four states have new laws limiting such protests.

"We're not going to get arrested. We obey the law," said Shirley Phelps-Roper, who is also a church member. "We're waiting until all the legislatures (sessions) are over to see what tattered shreds they've left the Constitution in."

Phelps-Roper said the group will eventually protest in states with the new laws, but it will find a way to obey those laws.

She said the group is considering mounting legal challenges to the new laws, which she said has drawn attention to the church and helped it spread its anti-gay message. At least 17 states have considered legislation this year restricting protest activities around funerals.

"We're thanking them kindly," she said. "They drew a huge amount of attention to our message, and that's all we're doing is delivering a message."

Phelps-Roper called the lawmakers who have passed these laws "legislative Talibans" and said the church won $170,000 in legal fees when it successfully challenged a Kansas funeral protest law nearly a decade ago.

Edited by sierraleone, 09 March 2006 - 09:07 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#57 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:59 AM

View Postsierraleone, on Mar 9 2006, 06:04 AM, said:

Phelps-Roper ... said the church won $170,000 in legal fees when it successfully challenged a Kansas funeral protest law nearly a decade ago.
This sick b!tch just made me heave my breakfast.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#58 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:01 AM

Freedom of speech is a funny thing. Everyone seems to be for it untill someone says something you disagree with.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#59 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:11 AM

^ its not what they are saying, as much as I abhor it, I protest where (a funeral home or cemetary) and when they are saying it (when families are trying to grieve). Thats the part I object too

I wonder how quickly governments would enate laws if they were protesting politicans funerals?

I honestly don't know if I fall one way or the other completely on this issue, but if I lived in one of those states, and I had free time while they were doing this sh*t, I'd be trying to get there to join the anti-protests.

- Masha Gessen

#60 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:17 AM

View Postsierraleone, on Mar 9 2006, 05:11 PM, said:

I wonder how quickly governments would enate laws if they were protesting politicans funerals?

Well, they've been picketing gay funerals since the early nineties, and sod all was done about it. It wasn't untill they began picketing military funerals that the goverment suddenly started saying 'Now maybe this isn't kosher'.

So I imagine if they were actively picketing political people, it would be much, much faster.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Fred Phelps, Daughter, Protesting, Soldiers Funerals

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users