105 replies to this topic

#81 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:20 PM

View PostEskaminzim, on Mar 10 2006, 11:09 AM, said:

Problem is, they've tried for decades now to disrupt the funeral of EVERY single gay man and lesbian (or presumed to be such) that they know about.  It's not isolated incidents. It's not at all.  It's just that queers, you know, don't really get the press time that dead soldiers do, unless you have the nerve to die in a very horrific way (ala Matthew Shepard).

<snip>

We're just not newsworthy.  That, and some figure we deserve crosses like him to bear anyway.

what proof do you have of that?  don't give me numbers on their website--cuz ten to one they've blown those up to make themselves look good to their fellow homophobes.  and explain to me how when it is one family of inbreds--with little to no outsiders in their crap excuse of a "church"--how they find out WHO that is gay has died if there is no big news story like Matthew Shepherd??  maybe in their area, sure, the fake Reverend can order one of his inbred brats to scour the newspapers.  but not in other areas.  i really don't think that is mentioned in the obituary.

and tell me something--what effort have YOU made to fight this?  have YOU gone to your city councils when the morons grant them permits and argued with them, as the families of these soldiers have apparently done??

there is unfortunately nothing that can be done about their trashy website unless someone gets the guts to hack it and destroy it entirely.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#82 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:58 PM

I haven't the faintest idea what the numbers are.  You can't open the Advocate without seeing yet another picture of Phelps et al picketing YAGF.  I myself have been to three funerals of gay men who have died of AIDS in PHILADELPHIA where Phelps himself or his daughter has picketed.  I've been to gay pride parades in Philadelphia and Arizona and Atlanta where he and his horde of inbreds has picketed.

How do they find out?  I sure the hell don't know! I'm not part of their network.

But Cheile, maybe YOU should read MY posts first, huh?  

I haven't done a DAMN THING to try and "stop this".

Why?

BECAUSE I SUPPORT THEIR RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH!

And I've even said that already!  In my first post!  The one YOU responded to!

So why SHOULD I do anything to stop it??  It's their constitutionally protected right to behave like bigots at a funeral!  And even though it already HAS affected ME DIRECTLY, and in a very negative manner, I STILL support it!

#83 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:26 PM

what proof do you have of that? don't give me numbers on their website--cuz ten to one they've blown those up to make themselves look good to their fellow homophobes. and explain to me how when it is one family of inbreds--with little to no outsiders in their crap excuse of a "church"--how they find out WHO that is gay has died if there is no big news story like Matthew Shepherd?? maybe in their area, sure, the fake Reverend can order one of his inbred brats to scour the newspapers. but not in other areas. i really don't think that is mentioned in the obituary.

What kinda proof ya want? I've seen them on the news numerous times in recent years out screaming their hateful spew at gay funerals. As to how they know who's funeral to protest? No idea, I just know I've seen them on tv wayyyyy too many times protesting and acting like...a@#holes at gay funerals.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#84 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

As much as I would like Phelps kept away from funerals. Till the laws are changed,and I would dislike them getting their permit but, I would allow it. Only to prevent other groups from getting not access to such permits.

I will admit if they had gotten their park based mounment that was to try and shame Mr. Sheppard I would have to go and beat on the thing till arrested and then pay my fine and go back out and do it again.

See I am a Christian and do not know what God and Jesus would do or think about the modern world and it's morals as it deals with homosexuality. But rather than base my views on a 4,000+ year old book.  I will leave the judgement to God and try to live and let live.

Phelps is a Bully and his followers are not to me Christians and I hope they enjoy the part of Hell they get stuck in. That said unless he breaks our laws I can only hope he eventually dies off and his followers go their own way.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#85 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:37 PM

View PostLin731, on Mar 10 2006, 03:26 PM, said:

What kinda proof ya want?

some actual numbers if anyone wants to supply them :shrug:  i can believe them wasting their time to spew their crap at SOME funerals in their local area since it would be easy for the fake Reverend to find out abt them.  easy as opening the local newspapers.  but this "church" is not a huge one.  it consists of the fake Reverend, his inbred family (includes the morons stupid enough to marry his spawn), their disgusting little brats and maybe three or four random outsiders.  i believe the number i saw on that long article where the fake Reverend is exposed as a serial child abuser said the congregation numbered AT MOST 40 people, less than a dozen who were not family in any way.

View PostLin731, on Mar 10 2006, 03:26 PM, said:

I've seen them on the news numerous times in recent years out screaming their hateful spew at gay funerals. As to how they know who's funeral to protest? No idea, I just know I've seen them on tv wayyyyy too many times protesting and acting like...a@#holes at gay funerals.

yea in RECENT years.  Eska talks like it's been done forever--at funerals that is.  i would expect them to show up to whine and spew at gay pride parades/rallies/et al.  where being a**es would be expected.  NOT at funerals.

and Eska, i'm sorry you feel they have the "right" to harassment speech.  cuz it is NOT free speech to do what they are doing.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#86 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:38 PM

yea in RECENT years. Eska talks like it's been done forever--at funerals that is. i would expect them to show up to whine and spew at gay pride parades/rallies/et al. where being a**es would be expected. NOT at funerals.

They've been doing the funeral pickets and the like since about 1991 to 92. As to how often, according to the them:

http://en.wikipedia...._Baptist_Church

The group carries out daily picketing in Topeka (purportedly six per day with fifteen on Sunday, "Lord willing", per the index page of its main website[18]) and travels nationally to picket the funerals of gay and lesbian victims of murder, gay-bashing or death related to AIDS, including Matthew Shepard, as well as other events related or appearing to be related to gay people.

How accurate they website claims are is unknown but don't underestimate these hateful people. Apparently within his group there were a couple hundred, not just 40.

One of Westboro's followers estimated that the church spends $250,000 a year travelling around the world to picket. In the 1990s the church won a series of lawsuits against the City of Topeka and Shawnee County for hindering their picketing. As a result, the church was awarded approximately $200,000 in attorney's fees and costs associated with the litigation. Otherwise, all of the church's money comes from the combined income of its congregants and money won in lawsuits against their enemies (filing lawsuits appears to be Westboro's second-largest activity after protesting Phelps is a disbarred attorney and several of his children are also attorneys and Westboro has had success in winning lawsuits or reaching out of court settlements).

Phelps Sr., his supporters and members of his church attend the aforementioned gatherings, as well as other gay-related events, with signs bearing anti-gay slogans. Phelps Sr. has characterized the AIDS Memorial Quilt as "100,000 living fags slobberin' around 45,000 dead fags" and declared Elizabeth Taylor, a fundraiser for AIDS research, to be a "world-famous Jew whore" and a "filthy Jew whore". Other regular anti-gay slogans of Westboro include "Homosexuality = Death", "Fags Die, God Laughs", "Matthew Shepard Rots in Hell", "AIDS: Kills Fags Dead" and "Ellen DeGeneres is a Lesbian Slut". (The latter was carried at an "Equality Rocks" rock concert and fundraiser; at the event DeGeneres commented that she wasn't offended so much by the slogan as the fact that they had drawn pock marks all over her face on the poster.)

Fag Santa (carried at Christmas time)
Thank God for 9-11
Thank God for the Tsunami
Thank God for Katrina[20]
God Hates You
Menninger Therapy (complete with two stick figures mounting)
Thank God for AIDS
Fag Flag (with an American flag)
Repent or Perish
Dyke Nuns and Fag Priests (carried outside Catholic churches)
Dyke Sows Wed Here (complete with pictures of pigs in wedding dresses covered with feces; carried at lesbian weddings)
Brides of Satan (referring to lesbian weddings)
Fags Doom Nations (Image)
Fags Are Worthy of Death (Image)
Fags Eat Feces = Scat
Thank God for Dead Soldiers
Don't Worship the Dead
Thank God for IEDs [improvised explosive devices]
Fag Troops
When Kevin Oldham, a gay musician, died of AIDS in 1993, Phelps Sr. sent a photo of Kevin to his parents. The photo contained the caption: "Kevin Oldham: Dead Fag".

So don't underestimate the hatred and obsession of these folks. You have in these people LAWYERS that spend as much time suing people (to raise funding) as they do protesting.

Mods, I realise how hateful and offensive the language I've quoted is and I don't support ANY of it.  If need be I will edit it upon your request. I only posted it to relay the level of these people's hatred.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#87 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:47 PM

Lin, all that I can ask is that you limited your quote to no more than half, and that you made sure to use the wiki attribution form that Orph has stickied in EtU.

I know what these people are, and they turn my stomach. But they exist, they are a reality that we must accept exists, no matter how hateful and despicable it is.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#88 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 01:17 PM

okay i've learned something new today.  they attack their fellow believer?  :blink:  i confess to not getting the point of this one....

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#89 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 01:18 PM

and i'd love to know what judge let them win their lawsuits.  probly some corrupt dumb a** that belongs or used to belong to the fake Reverend's "flock".

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#90 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 01:55 PM

Hey Shal, thanks for the info...ummm...I think I'm okay with the guidelines. I posted the link to Wiki and it's well under half. I'll confess though, I read the posting you mentioned but I'm honestly not sure what it meant.  :blush:

okay i've learned something new today. they attack their fellow believer?  i confess to not getting the point of this one....

These guys went after Mr. Rogers (I'm not even kidding), so yeah, they pretty much hate everyone and feel they are the only ones NOT going to Hell.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#91 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:17 AM

View PostLin731, on Mar 11 2006, 09:38 AM, said:

yea in RECENT years. Eska talks like it's been done forever--at funerals that is. i would expect them to show up to whine and spew at gay pride parades/rallies/et al. where being a**es would be expected. NOT at funerals.

They've been doing the funeral pickets and the like since about 1991 to 92. As to how often, according to the them:

http://en.wikipedia...._Baptist_Church

The group carries out daily picketing in Topeka (purportedly six per day with fifteen on Sunday, "Lord willing", per the index page of its main website[18]) and travels nationally to picket the funerals of gay and lesbian victims of murder, gay-bashing or death related to AIDS, including Matthew Shepard, as well as other events related or appearing to be related to gay people.

How accurate they website claims are is unknown but don't underestimate these hateful people. Apparently within his group there were a couple hundred, not just 40.

One of Westboro's followers estimated that the church spends $250,000 a year travelling around the world to picket. In the 1990s the church won a series of lawsuits against the City of Topeka and Shawnee County for hindering their picketing. As a result, the church was awarded approximately $200,000 in attorney's fees and costs associated with the litigation. Otherwise, all of the church's money comes from the combined income of its congregants and money won in lawsuits against their enemies (filing lawsuits appears to be Westboro's second-largest activity after protesting Phelps is a disbarred attorney and several of his children are also attorneys and Westboro has had success in winning lawsuits or reaching out of court settlements).

Phelps Sr., his supporters and members of his church attend the aforementioned gatherings, as well as other gay-related events, with signs bearing anti-gay slogans. Phelps Sr. has characterized the AIDS Memorial Quilt as "100,000 living fags slobberin' around 45,000 dead fags" and declared Elizabeth Taylor, a fundraiser for AIDS research, to be a "world-famous Jew whore" and a "filthy Jew whore". Other regular anti-gay slogans of Westboro include "Homosexuality = Death", "Fags Die, God Laughs", "Matthew Shepard Rots in Hell", "AIDS: Kills Fags Dead" and "Ellen DeGeneres is a Lesbian Slut". (The latter was carried at an "Equality Rocks" rock concert and fundraiser; at the event DeGeneres commented that she wasn't offended so much by the slogan as the fact that they had drawn pock marks all over her face on the poster.)

Fag Santa (carried at Christmas time)
Thank God for 9-11
Thank God for the Tsunami
Thank God for Katrina[20]
God Hates You
Menninger Therapy (complete with two stick figures mounting)
Thank God for AIDS
Fag Flag (with an American flag)
Repent or Perish
Dyke Sows Wed Here (complete with pictures of pigs in wedding dresses covered with feces; carried at lesbian weddings)
Brides of Satan (referring to lesbian weddings)
Fags Doom Nations (Image)
Fags Are Worthy of Death (Image)
Fags Eat Feces = Scat
Thank God for Dead Soldiers
Don't Worship the Dead
Thank God for IEDs [improvised explosive devices]
Fag Troops
When Kevin Oldham, a gay musician, died of AIDS in 1993, Phelps Sr. sent a photo of Kevin to his parents. The photo contained the caption: "Kevin Oldham: Dead Fag".

So don't underestimate the hatred and obsession of these folks. You have in these people LAWYERS that spend as much time suing people (to raise funding) as they do protesting.

Mods, I realise how hateful and offensive the language I've quoted is and I don't support ANY of it.  If need be I will edit it upon your request. I only posted it to relay the level of these people's hatred.

Kind of makes one wonder what god they're talking about.  Certainly not mine, and I'm Christian.  The God I know doesn't condone hate, or violence, death, or destruction.  These guys just use god as a means of spreading their filth.  A disgusting misuse of a religion that is supposed to spread good and be uplifting, not evil and hateful.  I don't know, just some book I've been reading.  It's called the Bible.  They should shut up and actually read it. :rolleyes:
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#92 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:15 AM

View PostCheile, on Mar 11 2006, 06:17 PM, said:

okay i've learned something new today.  they attack their fellow believer?  :blink:  i confess to not getting the point of this one....

they believe there is NO salvation outside of being a member of Westboro, and in fact rejoice when anything terrible happens in any part of the world, as long as it's not happening to them, claiming it's the 'vengeance of god upon homosexuals and their enablers' or that it's 'divine retribution against those who have acted or are enmeis of Westboro Baptist church.'

#93 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:37 AM

^Wow, that's pretty messed up thinking on their part.  :blink:  Frightening.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#94 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:56 AM

It's the ultimate in religious bigotry. No one goes to heaven but us, and 'us' is just this one family.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#95 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:34 PM

Looks like this group is going to be protesting at a soldier's funeral here in Maine.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#96 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:37 PM

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#97 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  These people are inbred pond scum.

I don't just object to their picketing fallen soldiers, I object to their filth intruding into ANY funeral.

Edited by Rhea, 20 March 2006 - 06:01 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#98 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:00 AM

Ani can the ppl in the town wherever this funeral will be held go to get on the a** of the moron that gave them their permit?!  this is BS.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#99 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:03 AM

I'd love to see all people who are deeply offended by this bunch of nutcases (and fortunately, a vast majority of us are offended by them) gather to protest outside the Phelps' family's church, day after day. It could actually be fun. :)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#100 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:09 AM

By the way (and if this has been mentioned already, I apologize) some good tactics have been employed to shield mourners from these mouth-foaming bigots.

At Shepherd's funeral--and also at other funerals of gays--an "Angel Brigade" formed a line between these yahoos and the funeral, shielding with large wings the grieving from the sight of the hateful signs.

At the military funerals, a bikers' brigade encircles the mourners, forming a buffer zone between them and these creeps. The bikers rev their engines to drown out the Phelpses' hateful chants.

Edited by Spectacles, 21 March 2006 - 08:10 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Fred Phelps, Daughter, Protesting, Soldiers Funerals

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users