History-World Africa BBC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 10:29 AM

(This link also provided by Metafilter.)

"The Story of Africa" is a huge series of webpages and audio files that covers the entire history of the ancestral continent, from Australopithecus all the way to Independence in modern days. I haven't checked it out yet, but it looks like a great way to learn about one of the more mysterious parts of the world. BBC, take a bow. :cool:
Per aspera ad astra

#2 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 10:36 AM

:wow:

It's great, thanx! :thumbs-up:
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#3 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 03:29 PM

Thanks Kevin. I e-mailed the link to myself at home.
Can't Touch This!!

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,360 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 03:40 PM

Wow!  That is awesome!  Thanks for the link!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 07:32 PM

Looks pretty good for an intro and overview, though of course not as good as a full textbook.  Apparently it's a tie-in to a BBC radio series of the same name.

When I was in college I took a semester of African History, but I grew disillusioned with the course.  The professor used a "textbook" that was more like a tract of nationalist (or continentalist?) propaganda.  Instead of countering the long-standing anti-African bias in Western historiography with a balanced view, it countered it with an equal bias in the opposite direction -- the same kinds of distortion and whitewashing that I became a history major hoping to get away from, just with a pro-African slant instead of the usual pro-Anglo-American slant.  The professor himself (a native of Cameroon) wasn't that bad, but he didn't mind presenting this propagandistic junk as a legitimate text (although there was another, much more balanced text that I still have), and he seemed very ignorant of and uninterested in any aspect of world history beyond Africa (for instance, not knowing whether the Trojan War was part of Greek or Roman history).  Also, once I asked him if any traditional religions were still practiced in Africa, and he said, no, it was all Christian or Muslim today.  Which, as the website shows, is simply false.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,360 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 07:39 PM

Christopher, on May 8 2003, 01:19 PM, said:

The professor himself (a native of Cameroon) wasn't that bad, but he didn't mind presenting this propagandistic junk as a legitimate text (although there was another, much more balanced text that I still have), and he seemed very ignorant of and uninterested in any aspect of world history beyond Africa (for instance, not knowing whether the Trojan War was part of Greek or Roman history).  Also, once I asked him if any traditional religions were still practiced in Africa, and he said, no, it was all Christian or Muslim today.  Which, as the website shows, is simply false.
:eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:  :blink:  :huh:

That's positively incredible!  I KNEW a couple of Africans who could tell me firsthand (one because he himself was an Animist) that traditional African religions were still practiced....

What kind of professor what HE?

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#7 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the Link Kevin! :D

*intends to read it on his breaks from "work" ;) ;) *
cervisiam tene rem specta

#8 Chrys

Chrys

Pinions Anonymous

• Islander
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 10:28 PM

In the words of one of my brothers when he was a toddler "Feautybibble".
Do not disturb. I had a hard enough time getting turbed in the first place.
I bought some batteries, but they weren't included. So I had to buy them again.

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 10:54 PM

QueenTiye, on May 8 2003, 01:26 PM, said:

That's positively incredible!  I KNEW a couple of Africans who could tell me firsthand (one because he himself was an Animist) that traditional African religions were still practiced....

What kind of professor [was] HE?
I don't know -- maybe a Christian kind with his own slant on things.  (He sure wasn't Muslim, because he made the same mistake most Americans do of mistranslating jihad as "holy war.")  Or maybe just one who only looked at what religions the states officially endorsed, rather than what the people actually practiced.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: History-World, Africa, BBC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users