• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:33 AM

I haven't been able to find this on any of the major news-networks, so I bring it here for perusal, comment and possibly denial or validation.

http://www.kmov.com/...l.7d361c3f.html

Missouri legislators in Jefferson City considered a bill that would name Christianity the state's official "majority" religion.

Many Missouri residents had not heard about the bill until Thursday.

Possibly why no one else had either.

The resolution would recognize "a Christian god," and it would not protect minority religions, but "protect the majority's right to express their religious beliefs.

The resolution also recognizes that, "a greater power exists," and only Christianity receives what the resolution calls, "justified recognition."

What I want to say here probably isn't the kind of language Exisle approves of. What I will say is that I thought this was illegal under the US constitution.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:40 AM

I honestly don't know, but I certainly hope it is, and this news article is a hoax too boot.

I am aghast, and at a loss for words at just how utterly and completely wrong the very notion is
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 Niki Jane

Niki Jane

fantastic!

• Islander
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:40 AM

My original comments aren't really EI approved either. ;) I'm fairly certain this is unconstituional and it's completely disgusting. I can't stand religious intolerance.

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:44 AM

View PostShalamar, on Mar 7 2006, 09:40 AM, said:

I honestly don't know, but I certainly hope it is, and this news article is a hoax too boot.

It's possible, hence my disclaimer at the top about newsagencies carrying it.

Most of the sites reporting it are local news, or bloggers, but that doesn't necesarrily make it a hoax.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:59 AM

I'd wait to condemn until it had been verified.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#6 Batrochides

Batrochides
  • Islander
  • 669 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:11 AM

If it's merely a resolution expressing the sense of the Missouri Legislature, rather than an actual law that would bind State courts and public officers, I think that it would technically be constitutional.

However, even a resolution in such terms is in very dubious taste.

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:20 AM

View PostBatrochides, on Mar 7 2006, 12:11 AM, said:

If it's merely a resolution expressing the sense of the Missouri Legislature, rather than an actual law that would bind State courts and public officers, I think that it would technically be constitutional.

However, even a resolution in such terms is in very dubious taste.

I don't think it would be constitutional even if only a resolution.  The long arm of a State would be behind it and I don't think under current law that it would pass muster.  

But I also agree with tennyson.
Posted Image

#8 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:15 AM

Firstly, KMOV is the local CBS affiliate here in Saint Louis.  I talked to my father (as he watches it and the news more often than I) and he confirmed this. :p  Resolution 32 or something like that.  Ever since the last major major elections (where we voted for several key positions [Gov., senator, a couple representatives and of course U.S. Pres.]Nov. '04), we've had a lot of weird concepts either be presented and/or initiated.

For example, a couple months after those elections, several counties passed laws for it to be illegal to be a homosexual and/or bisexual.  The STL Cardinals (Major League Baseball team) got a new stadium approved at the same time a lot of social services (teachers fired, schools shut down, government run healthcare services...so on) got axed.  It was ludicrious.

Anyway, I highly doubt it will go thru and even if it would get lobbied enough to do so, there will be enough lawsuits to go up their ying-yang.  But keep in mind, Missouri is one of the most conservative states in the Union in many cases.  

Still, Missouri is a nice place to live (in Saint Louis and Kansas City anyway) and does have many other aspects to go against the stuff above.

P.S. Gode, I can't seem to link to that for some reason.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#9 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:12 AM

All the Constitution says about the subject is "Congress shall make no law..."

Missouri's really not extremely conservative; it's more of a split state. (They kept re-electing Gephart for a while, for example.) But it does have extreme conservatives in it.

#10 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:03 AM

And the  federal Constitution trumps state laws and state constitutions.  If Congress can't do it, neither can a state lege.
Posted Image

#11 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,655 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:26 AM

Ummm ... I believe that it is legal for a state to have an official religion, it's just unconstitutional for the US of A to have a national religion.

But, IAC, I hope this resolution is voted down ... though I do see what might have been behind it.  Namely, the perception that because of the "minority religions" Christians are not at liberty to openly celebrate their religion.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#12 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:27 AM

WHAT is in the water in Missouri and Kansas?????!!!!!

Does a "resolution" have the force of law?  Not that it would stand up; just wondering about the terminology.

Counties passed laws against being gay???  Did they have any right to do that?  Is something happening in the courts????

Can I emmigrate to the UK or Canada???  This country is scaring the s**t out of me.

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#13 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:08 AM

Okay, so I live somewhere with a Head of State who is also Head of the Official Church, which means it's no big deal for me.

I like the notion of a state or country saying that they will be guided by a faith and it's principles, but I can also understand that you would be very unhappy with it too.

When I read about some of the things the Religious Right in the USA get up to, my blood runs cold with how so few people can pervert religion so much.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#14 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:28 AM

View PostChakoteya, on Mar 7 2006, 02:08 PM, said:

I like the notion of a state or country saying that they will be guided by a faith and it's principles

That's all very well if the population of the state or country has only citizens of one faith.  But it does pretty much rule out anybody converting...

Fortunately the Queen as head of the C of E and thus the C of E being the UK's state religion has about as much practical importance as the Queen as the head of state.   Otherwise you'd have had riots by all those Indians by now... Over here, the religious right would like to really enforce Christianity as being an official religion that ruled the legislature and the law.  We still have "blue laws" on the books about what can be open/sold when and liquor laws that stem from religious practice and belief - note that these laws want to keep Sunday sacred but don't give a fig about Fridays, the sabbath of many folk.  

I knew I should've been born in England...

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#15 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:09 AM

View PostThemis, on Mar 7 2006, 01:27 PM, said:

WHAT is in the water in Missouri and Kansas?????!!!!!

Does a "resolution" have the force of law?  Not that it would stand up; just wondering about the terminology.

Counties passed laws against being gay???  Did they have any right to do that?  Is something happening in the courts????

Can I emmigrate to the UK or Canada???  This country is scaring the s**t out of me.

Themis

Amen. :(

I love my country, I love the constitution that created it but I agree with you Themis, this scares the ever loving sh!t out of me. :barf:

Oh well, cross yet another state off my list of places to NEVER visit.

Thank the God that these hate spewing @$$holes do NOT worship that Canada is only a tank of gas away if their sickness spreads my way..

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 07 March 2006 - 11:13 AM.

Posted Image

#16 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:52 AM

waterpanther: And the federal Constitution trumps state laws and state constitutions. If Congress can't do it, neither can a state lege.
Can make no "law" is the key word in that amendment.  

A resolution is not a law but rather stating what you would like to see in your own little world.  It has no more legal authority than if I declared that I’d love to see a near aircraft carrier.  The Constitution also give directions on how to impeach a president in the proper legal manner.  That doesn’t stop the San Francisco Council from passing resolutions that Bush should be impeached or other innumerable things that are beyond their realm of authority.  The board in SF has passed so many ludicrous resolutions beyond their authority that if such a stretch was illegal they’d all be in jail.  

A resolution is a nonbonding vote by the legislature that doesn’t have anything to do with the law making precedent but rather stands as a statement.  San Francisco and the Missouri legislatures are just proving themselves be blowhards.  I don’t see anything illegal just a lot of bad taste and bad sense.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 07 March 2006 - 11:53 AM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#17 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:12 PM

Ummmm...don't we already have enough states in the world with "official religions" and close ties between gov't and church?
And how's that working out?
Is this resolution a springboard to lauch actions such as bans on gays, gay marriage, birth control, abortion and books about penguins adopting eggs? Watch that slope. It's slippery as all get-out.
What force is acting in the world such that huge religions such as Christianity and Islam, as well as perhaps Judism in parts of the world, are being hijacked by political organizations? You're not good enough if you're not religious enough? Heck, Kerry was blasted in the last election for not being religious enough, when really he just wasn't wearing it on his sleeve enough for some parts of the population.

Great. I was worried enough about South Dakota.
Second civil war, here we come.

#18 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

veganmon: Ummmm...don't we already have enough states in the world with "official religions" and close ties between gov't and church?
This resolution while poorly thought out and frankly stupid isnít making any type of official religion or creating those ties.  

veganmon: Is this resolution a springboard to lauch actions such as bans on gays, gay marriage, birth control, abortion and books about penguins adopting eggs? Watch that slope.
Then the courts will slap them down just like they have done in the past.  There is a difference between a resolution and a law/ban that the courts will act on and knock down.  

veganmon: Second civil war, here we come.
Secession was discredited at the cannonís barrel and it wonít be making a return anytime soon.  Hate it or love it we are all in the same boat together as a nation.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#19 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:35 PM

CJ Aegis, I'm just taking a pessimistic look at where this could end up.

Courts would slap things down? South Dakota just passed a law banning abortion, and governor signed it. Also remember that in some places, judges are appointed; in others, they are elected. If you have a state religion (endorsed by "resolution"), and start teaching your populace that Christianity (or Islam or whatever) is good/best, and you encourage that...pretty soon you have pretty Christian (or whatever) courts.

And as much as I hope we stay together as a nation, it's pretty easy to see that through various groups' efforts to gain power, we have become VERY polarized. I read a hysterical e-mail after the first W election about letting the South and Midwest secede and start their own "red" country, and the "blue" states on the coasts would stick together...well, as funny as I thought it was (I could dig it up if no one else is familiar with it), every once in a while something like this or like what happened in South Dakota happens, and I think, you know.....

I think if we keep staying polarized, it's bad. I think there needs to be less "hate" and less "if you're Christian you must vote Republican" and more "we're in this together" and "we accept everyone."
But will that happen soon????

#20 rponiarski

rponiarski

Still crazy after all these years...

• Islander
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:50 PM

Anyone remember the comic strip "Pogo"? I believe he had a famous line saying that "We have seen the enemy and he is us!" Sounds like we are taking the more disgusting pieces of religious intolerance and trying to remake our country in its mold.

Getting harder and harder to tell your fundamentalists apart without a program... :crazy:
Richard M. Poniarski
Everyone is entitled to live in the reality of their own choosing...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Missouri, Resolution, State Church, Christianity

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users