47 replies to this topic

#41 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:22 AM

View Posttennyson, on Mar 8 2006, 10:27 PM, said:

But its not a law its a resolution. A resolution has no force and no legal standing while a law would. It is unconstitutional if it were a law but it doesn't seem to be that. A resolution has no binding force, no mechanism or expectation of enforcement built into it. So it's just stupid and irritating rather than a threat to constitutional rights.

Ahhh....

Ok, but then why do it, other then to be stupid and irritating.....oh wait... ;)

enTranced
Posted Image

#42 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:46 AM

But its not a law its a resolution. A resolution has no force and no legal standing while a law would. It is unconstitutional if it were a law but it doesn't seem to be that. A resolution has no binding force, no mechanism or expectation of enforcement built into it. So it's just stupid and irritating rather than a threat to constitutional rights.

It may not be a law but it's certainly set's a tone for the state doesn't it? It could also lead to discrimination against Americans that don't share that State approved religious belief. I mean afterall, if you're a Christian and the state say's YOUR religious beleifs are the "right" ones, why should you suffer that inferior Muslim, Agnostic, Atheist, Jew etc...?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 Valkyrior

Valkyrior

My mother's savage daughter.

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:48 AM

Greetings, all--

New here;  I tend to wade in rather than test the waters, so please forgive me if I presume too much by doing so.

As I suspected and have heard bandied openly more than once on network news covering the story, the 'real' point behind South Dakota banning abortion, a legal medical procedure, is to facilitate a showdown that will go to the Supreme Court, opening the door to a Court reinterpretation/redefinition of the Constitutional Rights Roe vs. Wade is built upon.  

It is no far jump to apply the same logic, based upon the ultimate agenda of the Religious Right (who have been quite open about their desire/intention to see "American returned to the Christian Principles it was founded upon!" {Kenneth Copeland} for quite some time now), to this current 'state religion' resolution issue in Missouri.  

Once such an exclusionary resolution has been tolerated by--even if only because it isn't legally binding--and assimilated into any culture/society, more overt agendas start easing to the forefront.  It is proven that people become insidiously conditioned to a bias, an intolerance, an inequality they may not personally endorse if the bias becomes pervasive and/or originates with someone/some institution of authority; it is then easier to introduce more extreme biases to them through the existing gateway.  History is full of ghastly examples of how successfully this works.

I heard an interviewed proponent of this resolution from Missouri state that the resolution itself (and any theoretical legislation pertaining to it) *isn't* unconstitutional because, he claimed, the Constitution was written by Christians based upon their Christian values, and has been taken out of context all these many years.  

In my opinion, that prettty much puts the agenda's face right out there in plain view.

I personally don't like the look of it, at all--in practice or principle.

Valkyrior
"Since Auschwitz we know what man is capable of.  And since Hiroshima we know what is at stake."--Viktor Frankl

"One calls to her; among women one names her name.
Who--to her greatness who can be equal?
Strong, exalted, spendid are her decrees."
(from an Akkadian hymn to Ishtar--translated by Ferris J. Stephens)

"Cattle die, kinsmen die.
Each of us will one day die.
Only one thing never dies:
What is said when we are gone."
--The Havamal

#44 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:57 AM

It may not be a law but it's certainly set's a tone for the state doesn't it? It could also lead to discrimination against Americans that don't share that State approved religious belief. I mean afterall, if you're a Christian and the state say's YOUR religious beleifs are the "right" ones, why should you suffer that inferior Muslim, Agnostic, Atheist, Jew etc...?

People have been prejudiced for millenia without any sort of legal framework backing them up and they're going to go right on being prejuidiced with or without this.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#45 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:13 PM

View PostValkyrior, on Mar 9 2006, 04:48 PM, said:

I heard an interviewed proponent of this resolution from Missouri state that the resolution itself (and any theoretical legislation pertaining to it) *isn't* unconstitutional because, he claimed, the Constitution was written by Christians based upon their Christian values, and has been taken out of context all these many years.  

In my opinion, that prettty much puts the agenda's face right out there in plain view.

Valkyrior

What Valkyrior said.

It may not be law, but it's a damned dangerous precedent.  And how many people will think of it as law, even though it isn't, and act accordingly?

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#46 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:23 PM

Welcome to OT Valkyrior and thank you for such an excellent jumping into the waters post.

one of our little traditions around here is when a poster has said it 'right', what we would have said ourselves had we but greater eloquence...

What Valkyrior said!  :welldone:
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#47 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

View PostValkyrior, on Mar 9 2006, 04:48 PM, said:

Valkyrior

:welldone:

Agreed. That is why this resolution is so nasty. It opens the door for worse. What I don't get is don't they see what is happening in the world today? Isn't the violence and bloodshed in the middle east warning enough?

enTranced
Posted Image

#48 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

^Ah, but that's just those filthy Arabs. It's ok to force your religion down everyone's throat when it's Christianity.

(I wish we had a sufficiently sarcastic rolleeyes smiley, but we don't - so just imagine me rolling my eyes :p)
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Missouri, Resolution, State Church, Christianity

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users