• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:20 PM

In November two Maine wardens and their cadaver dogs went to New Orleans to assist in recovery efforts. They were recently asked to return and had already located at least one body. However, because of numerous problems they were forced to cut their second visit by one week.

Some of the things that caused this:

- the promised veterinary care for the dogs was not made available (areas being searched have broken glass and septic sludge)
- the wardens returned to their hotel rooms to find themselves locked out, they were told they would have to reapply as flood refugees in order to get the rooms back
- FEMA is saying they will not pay for the rooms because Maine "double dipped" for the rooms provided in November, Maine says they haven't even filed yet for that reimbursement

Looks like things are still a mess.

Maine Wardens Return Home
Housing Mix Up
Other info from local broadcast news

Edited by Anastashia, 13 March 2006 - 05:32 PM.

The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#2 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:08 PM

Watched the report on one of the other stations. Basically FEMA saying it wasn't their issue, state saying they weren't aware of the problems until the wardens left and the problems are fixed now.

Cute pics of the dogs, a black lab and a GSD, happily chewing on yellow tennis balls as their handlers discussed the issues.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

Dumb. Really dumb. People come to help out and the wheels of bureaucracy come to a dead halt.  :angry:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:22 PM

Words can not convey how loathesome I find bureaucracy like this.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#5 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

Faith Hill and Tim McGraw sure had lots to say about the crappy, post-Katrina recovery effort:

http://aolsvc.news.a...309043509990007
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#6 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

:crazy:
Can't Touch This!!

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:36 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Mar 13 2006, 04:50 PM, said:

Faith Hill and Tim McGraw sure had lots to say about the crappy, post-Katrina recovery effort:

http://aolsvc.news.a...309043509990007
Interesting poll results too:

Should musicians speak their mind on issues like this?
Yes 79%
No 21%
Do you agree with their assessment?
Yes 75%
No 25%
Total Votes: 47,396
Good to know that Hill can use that kind of language when it's so clearly indicated.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:30 PM

After 9/11, every scrap of human tissue and protoplasm was meticulously removed from the World Trade Center disaster site, then catalogued, preserved, and DNA tested for later burial.  Meanwhile, there are still dead bodies being pulled out of houses in New Orleans, six months after Katrina.  The contrast in recovery efforts is quite shocking.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#9 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:37 PM

The affected areas of New Orleans are orders of magnitude larger than the combined total of the three September 11th sites so it should by any judgement take a lot longer to go through all that than the other sites. How long did it take to get every bit of human remains out of those three sites? I don't know off hand and if anyone does know I'd like a link about it if the knowing person doesn't mind. My impression was that they were still finding and identifying pieces as much as a year later but I'm not sure of the accuracy of that recollection.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#10 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

View Posttennyson, on Mar 14 2006, 10:37 PM, said:

The affected areas of New Orleans are orders of magnitude larger than the combined total of the three September 11th sites so it should by any judgement take a lot longer to go through all that than the other sites. How long did it take to get every bit of human remains out of those three sites? I don't know off hand and if anyone does know I'd like a link about it if the knowing person doesn't mind. My impression was that they were still finding and identifying pieces as much as a year later but I'm not sure of the accuracy of that recollection.

Of course the affected areas are much larger, but the entire attitude toward the WTC remains recovery spoke of no expense or effort being spared, while the recovery efforts in New Orleans and Louisiana and Mississippi come across as haphazard and underfunded in comparison.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#11 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:01 PM

I don't know what to say. It could be simply that, an appearance of something rather than the fact of something. Appeareance and the reality underlying it often differ and I don't have the hard data to make a judgement. For example, so many things coming out of early Katrina turned out to be not so, no complete chaos and mass deaths at the sports dome, the Navy and Coast Guard response wasn't any slower than it had been to any other domestic disaster yet those stories were spread. Here I just don't know.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#12 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:44 PM

New Orleans is far more spread out that the WTC, and with the givens of bodies in attics, under collapsed buildings etc, it is much more work to get them out. There are hazzards there that were not at the WTC as well.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, FEMA, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users