4 replies to this topic

#1 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:35 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...and/4817512.stm

New ways to treat skin conditions which affect millions of people could be on the way after a scientific discovery.
Experts led by the University of Dundee have discovered the gene which causes dry skin, leading to eczema and asthma.
The gene produces the protein filaggrin, which helps the skin form a protective outer barrier.
Experts hope to use the discovery for more effective therapies to tackle the root causes of the conditions, rather than simply treating the symptoms.

Nice to see they are moving forward on this, although the cynic inside me says that it's only because of the huge number of little children who are affected, poor mites.

Certainly understanding the how and why should help with remedial treatments. I hope they come out with them soon.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:07 AM

As an adult exzema sufferer (though admittedly in a very mild form) I can only say i'm pleased about this.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:28 AM

I'm kinda hoping they'll get together with the Psoriasis reseachers and pool knowledge. The external symptoms are pretty similar - but there arn't nearly as many child sufferers as there are for eczema.

#4 Jazzer

Jazzer

Here I am

• Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:58 AM

I had it off & on as a child, then seemed to get over it for a lot of years.  But I developed it again the last few years mainly around my ankles.  I have scars around my ankles now from it.  My mother has the same problem, too.  I had read that eczema, allergies, and asthma commonly go together and tend to be inherited.  So the gene connection makes sense.  My mother & I also have asthma and some allergies.  I had also read that eczema is also more of a systemic reaction - a reaction from the inside out, rather than just a purely external reaction.  

Something else I'd read about that may help some is taking probiotics - the kind of bacteria in yogurt, like acidophilus for one.  You can also take it in tablet form or eat yogurt or there are also yogurt drinks now.  It does seem to help my mother & me some when we take it daily.  I don't have as much itching when I take probiotics daily.
Unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as unquestioned answers.

#5 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:58 AM

^^ that's excellent, and does suggest a connection between digestion and skin in your cases. The body is a single organism, and should be treated as such IMHO.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical research, Eczema, Asthma, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users