Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:05 AM

just heard it on NPR
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

Here's CNN

Here's Yahoo.

Here's my total lack of surprise. :eh:

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#3 Timon

Timon
  • Islander
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:58 AM

Didn't he say that he would fire anyone in his administration who was responsible for leaking the identity of a CIA officer if the leak broke the law?
Does that mean he has to fire himself now?
Or does it mean he gets to change the laws to suit his version of the constitution yet again?

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

I'm now taking bets on the fact that the US goverment will give him ANOTHER free pass.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

View PostTimon, on Apr 6 2006, 04:58 PM, said:

Didn't he say that he would fire anyone in his administration who was responsible for leaking the identity of a CIA officer if the leak broke the law?

YES, and I wish more people would remember that.
Maybe Jon Stewart can do something where they report the allegation, then play the videotape where he said he'd fire anyone....

My perception has gone from "total moron" to "lying bastard."
Well, I can't in good conscience give up the "moron" thing, though...

Betcha a lot of people still think he's God's gift to the American people. THAT'S what's really scary.

#6 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:34 PM

Z, couldn't get the Yahoo link to work.....

#7 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:49 PM

I'm not about to take that bet, Gode... the corruption around him is imbedded so deep that nobody'll make him accountable for anything.  He's so teflon that he might as well be President Gotti.  The guy could probably stand on the capitol steps shaking a baby in his mouth and peeing on a Bible and they'd still find some way to make excuses for it.  "Maybe that baby needed shakin'!"  :p

Yahoo pages have less shelf-life than doughnuts... let's see if this new link will work:   http://news.yahoo.co..._administration

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#8 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:59 PM

and here's the Beeb's take on it

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/4885100.stm

and Zwolff, this is most of the reason why I have such a low opinion of America. Forget the war on terror or the invasion of Iraq and all that jazz, that's media for you, and frankly there's a lot more involved than just Bush

But everytime the US goverment gives it's head of state a free pass to lie, cheat and steal his way around, I lose more and more respect, not just for Bush, but for the entire goverment. Because the goverment is letting itself get dragged through the mud along with the president.

Edited by Godeskian, 06 April 2006 - 01:00 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:12 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Apr 6 2006, 01:59 PM, said:

But everytime the US goverment gives it's head of state a free pass to lie, cheat and steal his way around, I lose more and more respect, not just for Bush, but for the entire goverment. Because the goverment is letting itself get dragged through the mud along with the president.

That's because Americans, I'm sorry to say, for the most part aren't really interested. As long as they have their MTV's, computers, video games, ect...they're content. In their minds it's "So what..." it's nothing but entertainment for them.

The fact that Bush NEEDS to be impeached, and in jail for this is besides the point. Everybody KNOWS that's NOT going to happen.

Personally I think Vir's speech to Mordin is appropriate here...But that definately won't happen.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:15 PM

You mean the one about Morden's head being put on a pike as a warning to the next 10 generations that some favors come with too high a price? :angel:

Defy Gravity!

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:19 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Apr 6 2006, 02:15 PM, said:

You mean the one about Morden's head being put on a pike as a warning to the next 10 generations that some favors come with too high a price? :angel:

That would be the line, yes. But couldn't come right out and say it...cause that could be considered "threatening the President". Although, saying he should be impeached and in jail could also be considered threatening him...but he should be impeached and jailed if he authorized the leak.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#12 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:30 PM

I understand, Gode.  I still love the heck out of America, but I do get a little disappointed in the state we've let ourselves fall into.  People now cheerlead the exact same things that our founders put their lives on the line to overthrow.

I think LOTS nailed it - we do have way too many distractions and pacifiers, and people just don't really care what's happening because they figure it'll all just take care of itself.   It's more fun to mess around with their IPOD or X-Box or whatever else and let it all go by.  Like one of the game systems slogans reads: "Live in your world, play in ours."  Fact is, a lot of people aren't just playing in theirs, they're living in theirs.  Stuff that's going on in the real world just can't compete...

And a lot of the ones who are paying attention have such a "sports fan" approach to politics that they'll excuse anything as long as it's a guy on their team that's doing it.  

It's still a great country, but it's prone to naps.   :unsure:

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#13 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:46 PM

Does that mean he has to fire himself now?
Or does it mean he gets to change the laws to suit his version of the constitution yet again?

One can only hope but I ain't holding my breath. They have control of all 3 branches of government, how likely do YOU think they'll be to act on any damning info?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:54 PM

View PostZwolf666, on Apr 6 2006, 11:30 AM, said:

People now cheerlead the exact same things that our founders put their lives on the line to overthrow.

*sigh* What's worse, few see that they have abandoned every single principle the Constitution is based on, and literally want to silence anyone who reminds them of the fact.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#15 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:55 PM

View PostZwolf666, on Apr 6 2006, 02:30 PM, said:

I think LOTS nailed it - we do have way too many distractions and pacifiers, and people just don't really care what's happening because they figure it'll all just take care of itself.   It's more fun to mess around with their IPOD or X-Box or whatever else and let it all go by.  Like one of the game systems slogans reads: "Live in your world, play in ours."  Fact is, a lot of people aren't just playing in theirs, they're living in theirs.  Stuff that's going on in the real world just can't compete...

And a lot of the ones who are paying attention have such a "sports fan" approach to politics that they'll excuse anything as long as it's a guy on their team that's doing it.  

It's still a great country, but it's prone to naps.   :unsure:

Cheers,

Zwolf

And what's even more alarming is the fact that the government KNOWS this. They KNOW as long as the people have their pacifiers they can do pretty much anything, and not have to worry too much.

And the people, for the most part, are in the mindset of: "Not my problem, someone else will deal with it."

MSNBC did a special report that proved this. They had a guy pretend to be abducting a child on the street with people around. The guy would come up, grab the kid roughly by the arm, and proceed to lead her out of the area. The whole time the kid is screaming: "help me. You're not my daddy."

People on the street saw this and did NOTHING! Most of them didn't even bother to use their cell phones to call 911. After several tries two, or 3 guys, did interfere. But if it had been real that kid would've been abducted and long gone...while everyone else just watched.

Made me sick.

THIS is the mindset of most Americans right now. And as long as it is, nothing will ever change.

#16 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:11 PM

Give them bread and Circuses.
Can't Touch This!!

#17 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

Didn't he say that he would fire anyone in his administration who was responsible for leaking the identity of a CIA officer if the leak broke the law

Okay I'm going to bring up a technicality that most of you aren't going to like hearing -

He did not necessarily break the law - the specific you all are thinking of is meant to cover / to protect acting agents, who are undercover in other countries.  Plame had long since been taken off of that type of assignment and was merely working 'in country' and thus did not fall under that guideline as I understand it.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#18 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:04 PM

Here's a bit more on this from another source..   National Journal

I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby testified to a federal grand jury that he had received "approval from the President through the Vice President" to divulge portions of a National Intelligence Estimate regarding Saddam Hussein's purported efforts to develop nuclear weapons, according to the court papers. Libby was said to have testified that such presidential authorization to disclose classified information was "unique in his recollection," the court papers further said.  

Libby also testified that an administration lawyer told him that Bush, by authorizing the disclosure of classified information, had in effect declassified the information. Legal experts disagree on whether the president has the authority to declassify information on his own.

The White House had no immediate reaction to the court filing.

Edited by Cait, 06 April 2006 - 03:04 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#19 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:07 PM

View PostShalamar, on Apr 6 2006, 12:29 PM, said:

Didn't he say that he would fire anyone in his administration who was responsible for leaking the identity of a CIA officer if the leak broke the law

Okay I'm going to bring up a technicality that most of you aren't going to like hearing -

He did not necessarily break the law - the specific you all are thinking of is meant to cover / to protect acting agents, who are undercover in other countries.  Plame had long since been taken off of that type of assignment and was merely working 'in country' and thus did not fall under that guideline as I understand it.

You were informed incorrectly. She was considered an active agent at the time they leaked her name.

From wikipedia:

Plame is known to have served in a classified position as a CIA officer. At his October 28, 2005, press conference, Special Counsel Fitzgerald noted:

Valerie Wilson was a CIA officer. In July 2003, the fact that Valerie Wilson was a CIA officer was classified. Not only was it classified, but it was not widely known outside the intelligence community. Valerie Wilson's friends, neighbors, college classmates had no idea she had another life. The fact that she was a CIA officer was not well-known, for her protection or for the benefit of all us. It's important that a CIA officer's identity be protected, that it be protected not just for the officer, but for the nation's security. Valerie Wilson's cover was blown in July 2003. The first sign of that cover being blown was when Mr. Novak published a column on July 14th, 2003.

Edited by Rhea, 06 April 2006 - 03:09 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#20 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:39 PM

OMFG! Now the news is saying that Bush didn't leak classified info....BECAUSE, if he DID leak it then he declassified it, so no crime was committed....OMFG!

[Vir] To the American people:

I want to live long enough to wave, like this, in you disbelieving eyes, as you, and the next 10 generations, realize that some Presidents come at too high a price. [/Vir]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Valerie Plame, Bush implicated, CIA leak, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users