• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:29 AM

Oh for the love of Pete.  !!!  :lol: !!!

Bush releases the National Intelligence Estimate countering claims about the admin's motives.  No cries of foul until the find their lil' nugget from Libby's defense.  Watch as exactly nothing happens with this devastating revelation!

Charles Krauthammer was brilliantly on point yesterday on Brit Hume's roundtable - my husband and I should've put our forks down during dinner because we were choking with laughter at his rapier abilities to make the looney tune left in this trumped up-dust up look like the fools they are:
Niger has two things - uranium and sand.  Iraq already had plenty of sand.   :cool:
The truth has taken quite a beating this year.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#42 Timon

Timon
  • Islander
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:03 AM

Obviously another rabid Barry Bonds supporter.
Doesn't see what's "wrong with this picture" and will defend his lack of morality to the death.

#43 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:19 PM

Bush releases the National Intelligence Estimate countering claims about the admin's motives. No cries of foul until the find their lil' nugget from Libby's defense. Watch as exactly nothing happens with this devastating revelation!

Only problem with that defense is the fact that those "nuggets" Bush released, he released to bolster the lies he'd already told. He released info from the NIA to mislead and justify the false claims he'd ALREADY made, while NOT releasing the parts that said their was "LOW confidence" in some of those claims he made in that regard.

He's also a hypocrite for mouthing all those cow cookies about how much he HATES leaks while declassifying AND having things leaked that mislead Americans, at the very SAME TIME. Was it illegal? NO. It doesn't have to be illegal to cost the GOP dearly in upcoming election. The growing scandals, lies, stonewalling and corruption swirling around the President, his cabinet and his party are sealing their own fate. This latest "lie" doesn't need to be illegal to reinforce the fact that once again, he IS a lying, hypocrite.

Charles Krauthammer was brilliantly on point yesterday on Brit Hume's roundtable - my husband and I should've put our forks down during dinner because we were choking with laughter at his rapier abilities to make the looney tune left in this trumped up-dust up look like the fools they are:
Niger has two things - uranium and sand. Iraq already had plenty of sand.  

Oh here we go "the looney left". Hate to break it to ya but those broadbrush smears no longer work. One need not be "looney" nor "left" to call Bullsh*t when they smell it. He's losing his base, he's losing the independents, he's losing REAL Republican (none of which are either looney or left). No matter how much that intellectual meat puppet Krauthammer tries to brush it all off or chalk it up to "looney leftists", it's not gonna change the fact that this administration and the GOP are in the toilet right now and they are the ones that put themselves their and they are the ones with their hands on the flush handle.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:41 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Apr 8 2006, 09:29 AM, said:

Oh for the love of Pete.  !!!  :lol: !!!

Bush releases the National Intelligence Estimate countering claims about the admin's motives.

Bush *leaked* portions of the NIE through Cheney and Libby, then promised to find the leakers and fire them.  When that failed to quell the criticism, he declassified and released most of the rest through above-board channels in an attempt to cover his tracks.  That also failed.  

No cries of foul until the find their lil' nugget from Libby's defense.

No, there were many cries of foul--If all you watch is Fox News, then you can be forgiven for failing to hear them.  What THIS is about is catching our Dear Leader in yet another bald-faced lie.  

Watch as exactly nothing happens with this devastating revelation!

We'll see.  The midterms are fast approaching, which is why so many Republicans are refusing to have their picture taken with Bush, are speaking out against him and his so-called "policies," etc.  We'll see.  

I must say, though, I find it amusing that the self-same group of people who were so concerned about a president's honesty that they impeached the last one for lying about a *blowjob* won't even acknowledge that the current one lied to start a war... Lied about warantless wiretaps...  Lied about leaking classified intel to discredit his critics... etc, etc ad nauseum.  

In any case, whether something happens or not is beside point: when our elected representatives are caught lying to us, and we do nothing, the fault and the blame become our own.  

Charles Krauthammer was brilliantly on point yesterday

SNORT.  Somehow I doubt it, but go on.  

on Brit Hume's roundtable - my husband and I should've put our forks down during dinner because we were choking with laughter at his rapier abilities to make the looney tune left in this trumped up-dust up look like the fools they are:
Niger has two things - uranium and sand.  Iraq already had plenty of sand.   :cool:

THAT's what you call rapier wit?  A cliche swiped from every hackneyed drill sgt character ever written?  

an officer and a gentleman said:

The only two things that come out of Oklahoma are steers and queers, boy, and I don't see no horns on you...

Of course, this "brilliant" remark does nothing to address the actual facts of the matter, only the Reactionary Right's desire to slam its collective fist down on the table and revel in its own perceived righteousness for another five minutes.

The truth is that the Niger "deal" never happened.  The document Bush referenced in his infamous State of the Union was conclusively determined to be a FORGERY.  Bush knew it beforehand, and they used it anyway, because--as the British White Paper says so well--the policy was being fixed AROUND, *not* determined by, the facts.  (9/11 was--disgustingly--co-opted in the same way so it became yet another reason to invade IRAQ, a country that had nothing to do with it but which Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld, et al, had in their crosshairs from Day One.  All roads lead to Baghdad.  "Things related, and not.")

Let's remember what Bush himself said about leaking:

President George W. Bush @ October 7, on 2003, said:

"There's a lot of leaking in Washington, D.C. It's a town famous for it. This investigation in finding the truth, it will not only hold someone to account who should not have leaked — and this is a serious charge, by the way. We're talking about a criminal action, but also hopefully will help set a clear signal we expect other leaks to stop, as well. And so I look forward to finding the truth,"

And we know now that he, himself, was directing the leaks.  Actually, most of us knew that before, but now there's PROOF.  Please note that the White House chose not to deny the charges contained in Libby's court filing.

What does that tell you?   It tells me that they don't want Libby gunning for them--He knows too much.  

(Of course, Bush's last act as president will be to pardon him.  Kinda puts the whole Marc Rich thing in perspective, huh?)

That's what all this is abot.  

Actually, it looks to me lik the truth is making a comeback, but we'll see.

Edited by _ph, 09 April 2006 - 12:23 AM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#45 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:01 PM

By the way, Nittany, with regard to your .sig:

Sam: Why do you like them so much?
Jo: 'Cause they stand on a wall.
And they say, "Nothing's gonna hurt you tonight. Not on my watch."

You ARE aware, I take it, of the lines that precede those?  They're rather appropriate.

A Few Good Men by Aaron Sorkin said:

JO
Why do you hate them?

SAM
They beat up a weakling.  The rest is just coffeehouse crap.
They tortured a weaker kid!  They killed him, because he
couldn't run very fast!

I hope you're also aware that Blake Miller, the young man you picture, has turned against the war.  

'Marlboro Man' Turns Against War He Symbolised
    By Andrew Buncombe
    The Independent UK

Thursday 02 February 2006

A cigarette hung from his mouth in the manner of John Wayne or Humphrey Bogart, his grime-covered face showed the exhaustion of battle.

This image of US Marine Lance-Corporal Blake Miller, taken during the battle of Fallujah, instantly captured the public imagination and for a while he was known simply as Marlboro Man.

But 15 month after that photograph appeared in more than 100 US newspapers, the 21-year-old is back from Iraq, back on civvy street and he is talking about the trauma of what he experienced and the scars he still bears, physical and mental. The once unquestioning Marine is now also questioning whether US forces should be in Iraq.

#46 rponiarski

rponiarski

Still crazy after all these years...

• Islander
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

View PostKosh, on Apr 6 2006, 03:11 PM, said:

Give them bread and Circuses.

It is beginning to sound like the fall of the Roman Empire, isn't it. The corruption, loss of liberty and lack of the "ruling" class being held accountable all point in only one direction, I'm sorry to say.

But I suppose we shouldn't have expected more from a theocrat and ex-addict... :disgust:
Richard M. Poniarski
Everyone is entitled to live in the reality of their own choosing...

#47 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:57 PM

View PostKosh, on Apr 6 2006, 03:11 PM, said:

Give them bread and Circuses.

I've always preferred "The Trouble with Tribbles."  Can we give them that?  :)

#48 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:18 PM

Lin writes:
"...Was it illegal? NO. It doesn't have to be illegal to cost the GOP dearly in upcoming election. The growing scandals, lies, stonewalling and corruption swirling around the President, his cabinet and his party are sealing their own fate."

But, see, that's brand of claim made before Bush and Blair got re-elected.

ph writes:
"...they impeached the last one for lying about a *blowjob*"

Ask any red blooded man- Lieing, not bragging, 'bout a blowjob?
Now that's LOON. EE.

quote:
"In any case, whether something happens or not is beside point..."

Apparently!

quote:
"...And we know now that he, himself, was directing the leaks. Actually, most of us knew that before, but now there's PROOF."

Excellent work, all those Columbos out there in the media! I await Bush's indictment which surely will come immediately now that we have proof of "leaks".

And, ah, Moore's character was right-as-rain and Pollack's was a pansy navyman. :p
(note for the easily offended: tradition of good natured<for the most part!> ribbing between the Corps and Navy.
And yea, Jo was Navy too in the film, but represented the 2 marine defendants)

Dear Miller has PTSD and is making strides. As a citizen now he has questions, and thinks perhaps we should have pulled out after the battle for Fallujah. ("... the way it was after Fallujah, maybe that was the time for us to pull out. That's just my opinion. It blows my mind that we've continued to drag this out.") To make it sound like he's joined up with the antiwar movement would be innaccurate as far as I know. He's repeatedly said he's proud to have served and wanted to stay in when forced out, but is now not sure he'd do it all over again having had the experience of war.
Regardless, it's the iconic image of this current struggle, the most well known and poignant, and because it's a marine which is close to my heart, I like to highlight it.
quote:
"They're rather appropriate: ... They beat up a weakling. The rest is just coffeehouse crap. They tortured a weaker kid! They killed him, because he couldn't run very fast!"

What the fiery f'**k are you saying to me? Marines are bullies and murderers?! What the f'**k is appropriate? We beat up the poor, underserving, weakling, slow Iraq?!

Edited by Staff due to profanity.

Edited by Shalamar, 09 April 2006 - 01:00 AM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#49 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:20 PM

It sounds like they're still playing the Plame game.  :D
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#50 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:17 PM

But that's brand of claim made before Bush and Blair got re-elected.

Not a claim I made back then, I thought it was too close to call and we weren't talking about poll numbers for Bush and for the GOP in the low 30's either back then were we? Not to mention that most of these scandals really broke open after the election.

Excellent work, all those Columbos out there in the media! I await Bush's indictment which surely will come immediately now that we have proof of leaks.

We all know that won't happen based on his leaking info he has the power to declassify, no matter how hypocritical, sleazy and morally bankrupt it is, it still isn't illegal. Now the wiretapping, too early to say on that one. Indicted, impeached etc...makes no difference, the polls indicate a widening perception of an administration and party that is mired in corruption, scandal and deception. Bush has lost credibilty with many of his former supporters and rightly so. He's violated the trust of the American people repeatedly and personally, I think he's lied so much, he wouldn't know the truth if it bit him in his "awww shucks, good ole boy" *ss.  Apparently a GOP party insider who requested anonimity has stated that those running in the midterms are running scared. That he fears all the scandals have left the voters in the "throw the bums out" mood but on the plus side the Dems haven't put forward a cohesive agenda either. The insider said "unfortuantely, they might not need to".

What are you saying to me? Marines are bullies and murderers?! What the f'uck is appropriate? We beat up the poor, underserving, weakling, slow Iraq?!

I may be wrong and I'm sure Ph_ will correct me if I am wrong. I think what he's saying is the administration is a bully that used lies, distortions and deceptions to advance a predesigned agenda for war against a 4th rate military. Soldiers don't make policy, they just carry it out.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:04 AM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Apr 8 2006, 02:18 PM, said:

Dear Miller has PTSD and is making strides.  As a citizen now he has questions, and thinks perhaps we should have pulled out after the battle for Fallujah. ("... the way it was after Fallujah, maybe that was the time for us to pull out. That's just my opinion. It blows my mind that we've continued to drag this out.")
Dear Nonny has PTSD too, has made many strides, expects to make many more, and has chatted with quite a few new PTSDers fresh from Iraq who have questions now, had them when they were there, and have nothing good to say of the C-i-C.  What's your point?  

To make it sound like he's joined up with the antiwar movement would be innaccurate as far as I know.   He's repeatedly said he's proud to have served and wanted to stay in when forced out, but is now not sure he'd do it all over again having had the experience of war.
I'm proud to have served and I have joined not only Veterans for Peace but also Code Pink.  You seem to be implying that being proud to have served and joining an antiwar movement can't mix.  Actually, they mix quite well.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#52 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:58 AM

Well if the Sam quote was in reference to his opinion of the administration,  and not some refutation to my pride in the Marine Corps, ph has my apology.  But really - it was a ' by the way' separate post and it read very appallingly.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#53 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:14 AM

I thought What Sam said about the beating had to do with not the Marine Corp. but the two Marines on trial.  The two young men had beat the kid to death.

Edited by Hibblette, 09 April 2006 - 09:15 AM.

"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#54 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:32 AM

^^^That's right.  (Doesn't it seem like Nittany's problem is with Sorkin here, rather than with me?)  In context, the reference was not to all Marines, but to these particular characters, who did indeed beat a weaker kid to death.  Though they were under orders.    

I just thought that quote -- "Why do you like them so much?" -- looked strange and unbalanced, and certainly only painted half the picture, without its partner ("Why do you hate them so much?").  Sort of like the way Reactionaries like to parrott "you can't handle the truth" WITHOUT the irony, showing that they failed completely to understand the point of the piece.  

In the story, the character who speaks that line--Jessep--is the one who ultimately can't handle the truth.  

Which is that he's a bad, corrupt person who is tarnishing a great institution.  

:whistle:

Edited by _ph, 09 April 2006 - 11:35 AM.

#55 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:58 PM

Yep and Mr. Nicholson showed why he is and forever shall be

The Man

:love:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#56 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:43 PM

However _ph, this discussion isn't really about others sigs, it's about the Plame leak. Why don't we try to keep it on topic, instead of edging towards personal, which taking apart a person's sig might be seen as being.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#57 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:27 AM

View PostShalamar, on Apr 10 2006, 12:43 AM, said:

However _ph, this discussion isn't really about others sigs, it's about the Plame leak. Why don't we try to keep it on topic, instead of edging towards personal, which taking apart a person's sig might be seen as being.

Shal, with all due respect, her .sig is a political statement.  That makes it fair game.  It's also related thematically to the leak investigation, since the half-truth represented by the quote she took out of context is quite similar to the half truth of Bush's statement on the leaks.

#58 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

It may be a political statement - that does not make it' fair game' and it is Not the subject of this thread - and darn near anything can be themeatically related to something else - that doesn't make it necessarily part of the thread.

People's signatures are personal statements and unless they invite discussion of them, dragging them into a thread is stepping very close to the line.

Please stay on topic.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#59 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

2 issues here:

First, whether commenting on .sigs is kosher.  Second, what constitutes "on topic discussion."

View PostShalamar, on Apr 10 2006, 05:24 PM, said:

It may be a political statement - that does not make it' fair game' ... People's signatures are personal statements and unless they invite discussion of them, dragging them into a thread is stepping very close to the line.

OK.  I think that statement's gonna cause trouble (with "the others"), but whatever.  Not my call.  

and it is Not the subject of this thread - and darn near anything can be themeatically related to something else - that doesn't make it necessarily part of the thread.  

Please stay on topic.

I'm having a little more trouble with this one, Shal.  

If a comparison is drawn--if one thing is actively being related to another--how is that off-topic?

#60 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

Moderator’s Helmet On

_ph: In general a signature is a personal statement by the poster and shouldn’t be a topic of discussion in a thread.  Unless you are stating some short comment like nice signature, asking the details behind it, or some sort of tangential discussion that doesn’t target the poster would be acceptable.  If you wanted to consider making another thread that was inspired by the signature and kept the topic off the poster and the signature and rather on the ideas behind them that would be acceptable.  A signature can't be taken as a specific comment on the topic (as related as it might seem in the heat of discussion) because it is usually chosen weeks or months earlier.  They are often picked for reasons completely unrelated to the topic at hand.  Some tangential drift to them is ok but making it a thread talking point is a bit too much.  

I draw your attention to the OT MP&P that state:

Article 5: Questions or Comments about Orbis Terrarum:
1) If you have any questions, comments or concerns about staff actions in OT, please address them via PM with the OT staff, board administrators or discuss it in AQG. Please keep moderation related concerns out of the OT threads themselves. This means that all moderation related concerns should be addressed in either AQG or via PM. Any attempt to address these concerns in OT will result in the thread being moved to AQG. The involved poster(s) will receive a warning that such conduct is prohibited. Any further violations may result in a official warning.

Any further discussion on this should not occur in OT or this thread but rather in AQG or via PM.  
Moderator’s Helmet Off!
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Valerie Plame, Bush implicated, CIA leak, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users