• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:32 PM

Honoring the anniversary of the great 06 quake - new exhibit of photos made from original negatives actually shot by JACK London, the famous writer, who was living near Frisco when the quake hit; he grabbed his camera- Kodak had the first easy use camera with roll film just out recently- and rushed over and shot like mad, he was a good shooter like a good author, and this bbcnews photo essay is a great way to be 'exposed' to it ;) - just keep hitting 'next' ...................... 'I left my heart ... in San Francisco ... '

http://news.bbc.co.u...ney_/html/1.stm
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:14 PM

WOW! :cool: Wish I could have gone to this year's quake party in San Francisco. They are SO much fun and so hokey - almost the most fun ever. Everybody gets together and people speak and they show part of the movie "San Francisco" and everybody sings....you guessed it. :p They are really some of the biggest fun you'd ever have at 4:30 in the morning. :-)

This year will have been the biggest one ever on the hundredth anniversary. I would have given anything to take off work and go in. No horrible drunkenness or fights most years, just 100,000 folks having a good time. :p :p

Edited by Rhea, 18 April 2006 - 05:16 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

Wow thanks.

I'm a huge fan of London's.

That was indeed interesting.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#4 Pywacket

Pywacket
  • Islander
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:14 PM

NPR has been doing a series of reports on the quake including airing interviews with survivors.  Their site has some fascinating information and pictures.

Had no idea about the controversy over rebuilding Chinatown where it is/was.  And that the Chinatown I know today was designed the way it is after the quake.

100 Years After the San Francisco Quake

Interesting stuff.

Pywacket

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. - Andre Gide

#5 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:56 AM

As someone who lives in San Francisco, we don't call it "Frisco".  Thank you.  "San Fran" or "The City", yes.  But never "Frisco".  Just ain't cool.

Yep, the '06 earthquake was a doozy back then.  FEMA is finally on the way to help.  That's a joke by the way.  What the quake didn't take out, the fires did.  Today's issue of the "Chronicle" newspaper did a reprint of their April 19th, 1906 edition.  Pretty cool.  Got one for a souvinier.  :)  

The '89 quake was bad enough.  A 7.1.  Don't really want to run through one of those again.  My parents had just remodeled the house when that one hit.  Everything was fine, fourtunately.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#6 Zoxesyr

Zoxesyr
  • Islander
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:50 PM

...as another dweller in "The City" I concurr with Spidey.

ALso the SF Museum of Modern Art has been doing a FANTASTIC photo exhibit of SF pictures before and after the quake.  These include huge panorama pics, and 3d/stereoscopics, and just simple snapshots.

The SF 06 quake was really the first major natural disaster that was recorded in detail on the newly invented medium of photography.  

SFMoma has spectacular views, vistas, panoramas, which both dramatically show the devastation of the quake, and the power of journalistic photography.

It is also really, really sobering to see only the Fairmount and Palace hotels, old St. Mary's, St. Patrick's and a few other recognizable buildings as survivors, and to think about the 8.0 we are going to have sometime in the next 10-25 years.

--edit addition--
It is also oddly reassuring that so many people did survive, despite the devastation, and not only survive, but re-build and renew The City.

Edited by Zoxesyr, 19 April 2006 - 10:53 PM.

www.zoxesyrbautie.com

#7 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:32 AM

Photography was invented almost sixty years before the San Francisco earthquake of 1906. Nor was it still in its infancy by the beginning of the 20th century. The Galveston hurricaine of 1899 that pretty much annhilated the city was well recorded in pictures as well.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#8 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:41 AM

Greetings fellow San Franciscan (Zoxesyr) :cool:

Not only that, Tennyson, but the city also burned down IIRC 8 times before that due to the rag-tag, thrown-together way that buildings were put together in those days during and after the gold rush.

Edit for grammar boo-boo. :blush:

Edited by Spidey, 20 April 2006 - 02:42 AM.

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1906 SF Earthquake, 100th Anniversary, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users