146 replies to this topic

#21 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:59 AM

View PostDelvo, on Apr 21 2006, 11:45 PM, said:

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 21 2006, 08:12 PM, said:

It's increasingly rare, but every once in a while I see a car--it seems usually an SUV--with a "W04" or "Bush/Cheney" sticker still on it.

I wonder about those folks....
Not long ago, I saw a comedy routine where a guy was translating what people's bumper stickers "really" mean that's different from what they say on the sticker. His translation of "I support Bush" bumper stickers was "I can't get this sticker off my car!"

:D
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#22 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:14 AM

View Posttennyson, on Apr 22 2006, 12:16 AM, said:

Sorry but that didn't prove anything to me. That's just some professor that did a paper and that's nothing like the organization of the Religious Right.

But thanks Tennyson it was an interesting rea

Did you read the entire article? because the point of it is that the organization of religous people on the left is nowhere near as good as certain religous right groups but a certain level of organization is starting to emerge along various lines not that it already has.

Sorry but that didn't prove anything to me.
You made a statement about not believing that a religous left exists. This article shows that it does, it just isn't as organized as certain rightist groups but is trying to organize to better get out thier own political message.

Don't be offended and please don't offend me.

They are not organized.  Not the way these rabid religious right churches are.  They organize whole churches around this.  They get people worked up into a frenzy over this.  It's just harder for those of us that do not agree with them to fight this.  Because mainly we don't believe in Zealotism.  Should we adopt it?  No.

And actually the group that was described in the article I...sorry but I don't think they are exactly my cup of tea either.

I'm not a joiner.

The Religious Right is so organized that they shut out anything these people say.  Or any of us.  I'm not a church goer.  I believe in God and Christ but I don't believe in what ANY of the churches are doing today.  And it's all of them of the mainstream churches.

I believe in seperation of church and state and that includes the church not being involved in politics.

Reality is...the left is just those that oppose but we are not organized, our beliefs alone is what keeps us from doing that.

Organizing within our Religion is not what's going to help the country.  Getting out and voting the way we believe is how we help the country.  And then pray they really aren't cheating the way it sometimes looks. :pout:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#23 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:22 PM

View PostHibblette, on Apr 21 2006, 12:34 PM, said:

Yea those are pretty leftist ideas.

Personally I don't think there is a Religious Left.
The Episcopalians I know think otherwise.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#24 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

Whoa! Take a look at SurveyUSA's state-by-state polls on Bush:

http://www.surveyusa...POTUSState.html

Aside from Utah, Nebraska, Wyoming, and Idaho (and a tie in Oklahoma), his disapproval rating surpasses his approval rating.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#25 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:04 PM

W has under 40% in South Carolina?!?  :eek2:

I expect that ice delivery from Hades any day now.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#26 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:44 PM

View PostSpidey, on Apr 22 2006, 03:24 AM, said:

Was that on David Spade's show, or Mind of Mencia.  Can't remember, but that was pretty funny.  :howling:  I'm thinking it was on Mencia because he was commenting of the "My Child is an Honor Student" sticker, and he was saying the real meaning is the kids parents are a little "Do do-do" (retarded).
It was Mind Of Mencia, and the guest doing that bit was the actor who plays Ray's father on "Everybody Loves Raymond".

And it's "dee", not "do". :p

#27 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:11 AM

This is interesting. Some representatives in the state houses of Illinois and Vermont have discovered an obscure, never-used rule authored by Thomas Jefferson that allows impeachment proceedings to be initiated by a state's government. Guess what they're in the process of doing?

Parliamentary procedures developed by then Vice President Thomas Jefferson in the early years of the United States, and still used by the U.S. House of Representatives as a supplement to that chamber's standing rules, have been interpreted as giving state legislatures at least some authority to trigger impeachment proceedings, and Zuckerman's resolution responds to calls from Vermonters to take the dramatic step.

Several county Democratic parties in Vermont have urged the state legislature to take advantage of the opening created by "Jefferson's Manual," which suggests that impeachment proceedings can be provoked "by charges transmitted from the legislature of a state.

There's no question that Vermont is in the lead, but legislators in other states are also exploring their options for pressuring Congress to act on articles of impeachment. A trio of Democratic state representatives in Illinois -- Karen A. Yarbrough and Sara Feigenholtz from the Chicago area and Eddie Washington from Waukegan -- have introduced a measure similar to the one Zuckerman is preparing in Vermont.

The bill urges the Illinois General Assembly to "submit charges to the U. S. House of Representatives to initiate impeachment proceedings against the President of the United States, George W. Bush, for willfully violating his Oath of Office to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States and if found guilty urges his removal from office and disqualification to hold any other office in the United States."

http://news.yahoo.co...wN5bnN1YmNhdA--

Edited by Spectacles, 23 April 2006 - 11:13 AM.

#28 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:10 PM

Interesting.

hmmmm
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#29 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:45 PM

lots of red states rethink the ol Bush thing; mine's way negative balance but that's no surprise since we're blue :D , but it's the alabamas and the arkansas that are interesting to see - maybe they have some war casualties - this is the trouble with a 'mandate' though, it doesn't stick around.

he really hasn't changed his intents or purposes or main platforms, it's just the results what have everyone lookin askance.

Edited by offworlder, 23 April 2006 - 03:46 PM.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#30 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:53 PM

... and the lack of a Democrat opponent to compare him to.

#31 Niki Jane

Niki Jane

fantastic!

• Islander
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:40 PM

Georgey should count his lucky stars that we're already stuck with him for another few years.

His chances of being re-elected would be about the same as Michael Jackson's chances of being hired as a nanny. Not very good.

I'm just hoping we have some decent names on the ballot, come next election.

#32 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:24 PM

Well, it's his second term, so there is no way he can be reelected.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#33 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:39 PM

This is getting to be a broken record, but here ya go, folks:

Bush Approval Rating Hits Record Low (Yet Again)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush's approval rating fell to 32 percent, a new low for his presidency, a CNN poll showed on Monday.

The survey showed that 60 percent of Americans disapprove of the way Bush is handling his job.

So let's start taking bets on when we think he'll break into the high twenties.  I say by Memorial Day--or sooner.

You know what this means, right?  Time for a terror alert!

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#34 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:33 PM

Personally, I think he'll turn tail and run like a scalded dog.

We will get the infamous picture of him and the little wife about to board the plane and him saying something like "I am not an idiot."

:devil:

#35 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:07 PM

View PostHibblette, on Apr 24 2006, 04:33 PM, said:

Personally, I think he'll turn tail and run like a scalded dog.

We will get the infamous picture of him and the little wife about to board the plane and him saying something like "I am not an idiot."

:devil:
:ninjadeath:  :p
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#36 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:09 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 23 2006, 09:11 AM, said:

This is interesting. Some representatives in the state houses of Illinois and Vermont have discovered an obscure, never-used rule authored by Thomas Jefferson that allows impeachment proceedings to be initiated by a state's government. Guess what they're in the process of doing?
Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease....

Nonny
Posted Image

#37 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:15 PM

spectacles Apr 23 2006, on 09:11 AM, said:

Redecorating the country house?  :devil:

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#38 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:43 PM

^Yes, I see a blue decor with maple trimming.

:angel:

#39 Niki Jane

Niki Jane

fantastic!

• Islander
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:58 AM

View PostShalamar, on Apr 24 2006, 04:24 PM, said:

Well, it's his second term, so there is no way he can be reelected.

I know.

I wasn't very clear. I mean that he was lucky he's not up for re-election, because he would never make it into office.

#40 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:46 AM

View PostCait, on Apr 21 2006, 08:41 PM, said:

There is a really good article in the recent Issue of Rolling Stone Magazine. It's about "Could Bush be the Worst President in US History", but it really is a good read for other reasons.

This really stuck out.. I had no idea he'd spent *that* much. :eek2:

"According to the Treasury Department, the forty-two presidents who held office between 1789 and 2000 borrowed a combined total of $1.01 trillion from foreign governments and financial institutions. But between 2001 and 2005 alone, the Bush White House borrowed $1.05 trillion, more than all of the previous presidencies combined. Having inherited the largest federal surplus in American history in 2001, he has turned it into the largest deficit ever -- with an even higher deficit, $423 billion, forecast for fiscal year 2006. Yet Bush -- sounding much like Herbert Hoover in 1930 predicting that "prosperity is just around the corner" -- insists that he will cut federal deficits in half by 2009, and that the best way to guarantee this would be to make permanent his tax cuts, which helped cause the deficit in the first place!"

Rolling Stone Magazine

One problem here is that they're mixing apples and oranges and not giving the full story. First they say that all prior presidents had borrowed a total of $1 trillion, but they say nothing about the interest accrued (i.e. unpaid) on this debt. Then they state that Bush inherited the largest federal surplus in American history - but they don't specify that this is a surplus for ONE YEAR's BUDGET. The article makes it sound like we had repaid all of the outstanding debt. Clinton's plan to erase the debt would have taken quite a few years and several presidencies to accomplish.

Of course, they are right on one thing - tax cuts make a deficit; they don't fix them. Bush is a bozo.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, Approval ratings, Falling Approval, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users