• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:10 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Apr 24 2006, 04:38 PM, said:

This isn't the first time that the Doctor has inadvertantly created something he would run into in the future. After all, he was more or less indirectly responsible for the creation of the Time-Agents of which Captain Jack would one day be a member. To find out that he was personally responsible for the creation of Torchwood was just deliciously ironic.
Oh, I agree. :D I'm kind of hoping he'll find out that he's responsible for the creation of Torchwood. Even if he doesn't, I think it's going to be fairly interesting either way.

And NeuralClone, regarding your signature. I'd like it to be known that should the BBC want a ginger doctor for their next one, i'm available and willing to drop everything at a hat :p
:lol:

Edited by NeuralClone, 24 April 2006 - 04:22 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#22 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:28 PM

View PostKRAD, on Apr 24 2006, 12:28 AM, said:

^ Right, because what made Doctor Who such a great show was the 22-minute multiepisode format. Now it's a one-hour show, so it's just like American Idol and Deadwood. :rolleyes:

Yeah well I wonder just how long this new Dr. Who series will last now, I can't see it lasting too long after RTD leaves. And it feels Americanized.  :crazy:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#23 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

Well, there were 3 two-parters in the Eccleston run...and quite a lot of the stand-alones did tie into later stuff, so there is still a little of the feel of the old serials.

And, as long as the show is riding the nostalgia wave and continues to be well done, I don't think RTD will be leaving anytime soon unless he chooses to. I thinks he's that rare breed of fan that actually gets to work on the show he loves...he'll stay put for a while yet... :)

#24 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:25 AM

Well, I should've been doing book-work but... I'm simply WEEKS behind on my Who viewing and I needed a fix and this was next to be watched... :hehe:

BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!!

Best thing RTD's written to date.  (Okay, I have a weakness for horror stories and a great fondness for historical DW eps, especially Victorian/Edwardian-set ones! :love:  :love:  :love:)  

RTD's strength (or habit) is the creation of extremely endearing, noble and heroic minor characters who he then kills off to tug at the heartstrings.  More of that here.  And the inevitable political jabs. :rolleyes:  But still... wonderful! :wideeyed:  And I loved the Torchwood setup and Bad Wolf refs!  

So good I can actually wait a few more days before I watch the next one. :)

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#25 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:31 AM

This was a great one, Pauline Collins was fantastic as Queen Victoria and I LOVED the bet bewteen Rose and the Doctor to get her to say "We are not amused." :howling: and the SFX of the werewolf was quite well done and I loved the ending with Rose making fun of the current royal family. The one thing I didn't quite get was the superpowered monks.  :blink:

Edited by DWF, 24 June 2006 - 10:57 AM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#26 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:55 AM

Superpowered minks? Can you elucidate?
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#27 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:58 AM

View PostChakoteya, on Jun 24 2006, 11:55 AM, said:

Superpowered minks? Can you elucidate?

Monks.  :blush:

#28 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:08 AM

ROTFLMAO....

Ah, that makes more sense.

I rather felt they were in keeping with the Kung Fu / martial monks beloved of fiction. Especially as they had come from 'elsewhere' to the area on their quest.

#29 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:09 AM

View PostChakoteya, on Jun 24 2006, 12:08 PM, said:

ROTFLMAO....

I rather felt they were in keeping with the Kung Fu / martial monks beloved of fiction. Especially as they had come from 'elsewhere' to the area on their quest.

British monks though?  :blink: It kind of smacked more of a Matrix redux.

Edited by DWF, 24 June 2006 - 11:10 AM.

#30 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:32 AM

Darn, I was looking forward to those super-powered minks--kind of like Doctor Who meets a Sci Fi Channel Saturday night movie.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#31 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:49 AM

View PostDWF, on Jun 24 2006, 05:09 PM, said:

View PostChakoteya, on Jun 24 2006, 12:08 PM, said:

ROTFLMAO....

British monks though?  :blink: It kind of smacked more of a Matrix redux.

Well, they were hardly your traditional Christian monks, were they? Friar Tuck would have been well out of place amongst them. :D

#32 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:01 PM

View PostCardie, on Jun 24 2006, 12:32 PM, said:

Darn, I was looking forward to those super-powered minks--kind of like Doctor Who meets a Sci Fi Channel Saturday night movie.

Cardie

Kind of like Dr. Who meets the Matrix actually, but then Dr. Who pretty much invented the Matrix in The Deadly Assassin.

http://www.drwhoguide.com/who_4p.htm

#33 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:11 PM

View PostChakoteya, on Jun 24 2006, 12:49 PM, said:

Well, they were hardly your traditional Christian monks, were they? Friar Tuck would have been well out of place amongst them. :D

They might've been Christian monks I mean there's no real explaination for them or their Matrix like powers.  :blink:  :unsure:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, Doctor Who: Series 2

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users