23 replies to this topic

#21 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:57 AM

Okay, so I just watched this one and am... really freaking disappointed. :(

It had everything going for it: Sarah Jane (my all time favorite companion), K9, Tony Head, bats :hehe: and... it just didn't work.  The story was perfunctory, minimized, and uninteresting.  The 'shipping' of Sarah/Doctor was rushed and overdone.  Tony Head was vamping :devil: and underused.  Rose was bitchy and for the first time uninteresting.  K9 was blown up.  Aww.  Then brought back.  Again.  Yawn.  And the idea that Sarah Jane felt romantically for her Doctor? :crazy: Jo - yes.  
Spoiler: click to show/hide
Jo was madly in love with the 3rd Doctor and settled for a human because she couldn't have him.
  (Had a great conversation with Katy Manning about this. :D)  But Sarah loved the Doctor as a father figure and brother figure.  Making her here a romantic rival for Rose didn't work for me and reduced and devalued Sarah Jane and the Doctor's relationship IMO.  

The editing of the episode was choppy as heck and very noticeable.  The directing was distracting and poor.  But worst of all sins: the writing just sucked.  I mean big time.  Worse than anything I ever complained about RTD.  It was on the nose, over the top shippy and completely emotionally unsatisfying as it smacked you over the head in every scene - it was all tell and no show.  And it was only the incredible talent of the actors that kept me from hiding my head in pain. :(  So disappointing. :(

One positive of this episode: Liz Sladen was completely, utterly and magnificently brilliant at every turn and I loved every minute of her onscreen. :love:  :love:  :love:  And it was just for her, that the final goodbye had me absolutely sobbing.  SHE felt the Doctor's acknowledgement and farewell, so I felt it.  David was nice in this bit too "MY Sarah Jane".

But overall, I'm left simply frustrated.  Sarah was THE companion I most wanted back and I feel cheated that the episode didn't rise to her return.  I'd give anything for another writer to have tackled this story.  Especially Paul Cornell who could have made this an emotionally gut-wrenching equivalent of 'Father's Day'.  But I'd settle for even RTD.  This script simply didn't work.  Even if Liz did.

I need a break before I watch the next one. :(

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#22 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:18 PM

^^^Agree with almost everything, Jill (except for your criticism of RTD's writing... I think he's brilliant, and not just on Dr Who... In fact, Who has probably been, in many ways, the leat of his accomplishments... Have you seen Queer as Folk or Second Coming?)

Still, I'd love for them to bring Sara Jane back on a recurring basis as a resource for Rose--the seed for which *was* planted at the end of the episode, though it doesn't seem like they plan to cultivate it.  But it would be a nice surprise.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#23 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:18 PM

[edited for double posting--damn sticky browser!]

Edited by _ph, 13 May 2006 - 03:20 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#24 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:02 PM

View Post_ph, on May 13 2006, 01:18 PM, said:

^^^Agree with almost everything, Jill (except for your criticism of RTD's writing... I think he's brilliant, and not just on Dr Who... In fact, Who has probably been, in many ways, the leat of his accomplishments... Have you seen Queer as Folk or Second Coming?)
I haven't seen the UK QasF, but I'm dying to see Second Coming and Casanova.  I'm open to appreciating RTD's writing elsewhere.  And I will be forever grateful that he brought DW back to TV in grand style.  As for his writing for Who, I just don't like most of his episodes in comparison to everyone else's.  Two qualifications on that - I freakin' LOVED 'Tooth and Claw', and as mentioned, did not like the writing quality in this freelancer's ep.

Still, I'd love for them to bring Sara Jane back on a recurring basis as a resource for Rose--the seed for which *was* planted at the end of the episode, though it doesn't seem like they plan to cultivate it.  But it would be a nice surprise.
I'd LOVE to see Sarah Jane back.  I'm trying desperately to stay spoiler-free on the show, but I wouldn't be surprised if she returned again on Who or Torchwood. :)  Or maybe doing a voice on the new K-9 kiddie cartoon. :D

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, Doctor Who: Series 2

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users