Immigration Illegals

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Martock

Lord Martock
  • Islander
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

I am getting so tired of reporters printing sob story after sob story of poor, poor, poor, poor, POOR ILLEGAL immigrants.....they are criminals, stop making them look like the victims

I just saw a photo from a rally...and the sign that the ILLEGAL was holding up read:

No Illegals means No Burritos...(You better think twice America)

Looks like a threat to me.....time to boycott all things Mexican.  Won't be eating at any Mexican restaurants, and will no longer buy something that says Made in Mexico.  Won't be buying anymore coffee...looks like I am going to be drinking lots of asian tea's.  Won't be eating at any fast food joints like Quizno's, Wendy's, Taco Bell...they hire lots of illegals.

http://story.news.ya...r2048252209.jpg

Hope the link works...never tried it before.
May the Schwartz be with you.
Remember, No matter where you go....There you are.
It's a trick.....Get the Axe!

Posted Image

#2 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:45 PM

*sob*

But I love Mexican food! :(

We have a incredable Mexican food place near where I live called South of the Border and they make these mouth watering creations called The Big Borderito (i think i spelled that right) and they taste like....well....a little bit of heaven.

I can't give that up.....*sob* I'm sorry but there has to be a line and mine is the Big Borderito. :cry:

enTranced
Posted Image

#3 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:57 PM

Oh puh-leeze!!!  :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but some people are getting so offended over the silliest things...

Boycott burritos if you will....or products made in Mexico (not that I ever see many of those as most everything is made in China or Japan or wherever but very seldom is labeled as made in Mexico)

Threat?   :rolleyes:

More like just someone who didn't know what else to write on their sign.

It's not like it's a talent that only people of Mexican origin can have.  Even me, the total WASPY chick can make a mean burrito. :D

Tho a boycott of fast food places might not be a bad idea as I am convinced that the  reason we have such a problem with obesity in the US is because too many people are eating wayyyyy too much fast food. :D   So boycott the fast food places and see how fast America starts losing weight.

Edited by trikay, 03 May 2006 - 09:35 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#4 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:59 PM

I must admit I'm pretty fed up with it myself. It stinks that Mexico is so poor and poorly led but that doesn't make it our problem. We have our own problems to deal with and illegal immigration has become a BIG one.

There are now militant Mexican groups forming that seem to think violence is the answer to their problems (along with attempting to "take back" border states.

Edited by Lin731, 03 May 2006 - 02:01 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:11 PM

The only answer to this is to go after business that hire illegals. Make the fines big enough to make a difference. Anything that will hurt Wall Mart.

I have a bunch of hispanics in the family, and the grandfather of that group want rid of illegals.
Can't Touch This!!

#6 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:12 PM

On a slightly goofier note...you know the 5/1 demonstrations where the illegal immigrants were demanding rights/citizenship?

I thought it would be funny if as an example of a "national day for illegal immigrants," we all just went to places where people were in a line (fast food, bank, purchasing sports tickets) and cut right the hell up to the front of the line. Just walk up and get in the front, and say, "I'm doing this in solidarity with illegal immigrants."

There were a number of stories on the radio of immigrants trying to do things legally, waiting years for a green card and citizenship, waiting YEARS "in line."

I feel for people who have been here illegally and want to stay because where they came from was miserable. I don't know what to do about the fact that they've had children here who are by default US citizens.

But to demand to cut in the front of the line is something we all learned we were not allowed to do in, what, kindergarten????????

Edited by veganmom, 03 May 2006 - 02:13 PM.

#7 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

Some things to consider...

For most of America's history, we've had very few restrictions on legal immigration for poor, unskilled labor (so long as that labor was either... a) European or b) slaves).  It's only recently that we've clamped down on legal immigration of unskilled labor (and perhaps not coincidently since that labor started coming from Latin America instead of Ireland, Italy or Eastern Europe).

Yet the demand for unskilled labor in the U.S. is still higher than the legal supply.

So while it's all well and good to try to enforce immigration laws, one has to ask if those laws are enforcing fair and economically beneficial quotas... or artificially low and economically unwise quotas.  Much like laws trying to outlaw relatively harmless recreational drugs like alcohol or marijuana, or vices like gambling, laws which try to outlaw cheap unskilled labor when there's a high demand for same are pretty much doomed to failure.

And good freaking luck rounding up, arresting and deporting 11+ million people.

Meanwhile, I'm off to eat my relatively cheap restaurant lunch, using vegatables that were probably harvested by at least some illegal immigrants, eating meat which was probably processed by in part by illegal immigrants, and eating off of dishes that were almost doubtlessly washed by illegal immigrants.

And I'm not eating Mexican food.  If you really want to boycott products of illegal immigrant labor, I suggest you'd probably have to starve.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#8 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:23 PM

The ideal thing to do would be to stem the tide, then up the quotas until we achieved some kind of balance.

But boy, how do you do that?

Quotas for highly educated immigrants (for example, doctors who would work in underserved areas) should be upped.
Quotas for undereducated immigrants willing to take "jobs Americans won't do" should be upped.

But the argument will be, you're taking jobs from Americans.

I think my main issue is the "cutting in line" one. Why should people be insanely well-rewarded for breaking the law, and those that try to do things legally be made to wait so long?

I also think that employers should be held accountable. There should be a government agency where an employer can check if a SSN is valid prior to hiring someone. You shouldn't be able to hire (take advantage of)  someone for less than the minimum wage that you can barely survive on in this country without punishment. Again, there are economic rewards for breaking the law.

#9 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:40 PM

I'm actually to the right of Mr. Wolfe on this issue-- I'd like to at least temporarily stem the flow of undocumented immigrants to drive up wages in the agriculture, construction, and service sectors of the economy.

But, I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable with the tone of a lot of the anti-immigrant rhetoric.  I hope people will try to express their opinions on this matter without unduly beating up on people who are by and large busting their butts doing some of American society's hardest, most thankless jobs to make better lives for their families.  A lot of it is just simple geography:  the US-Mexico border is practically the only place on Earth where a rich, developed country shares a long land border with a developing country.  So of course 8 bucks an hour at a meatpacking plant in Kansas is gonna look a lot more appealing than a dollar an hour in Tijuana or subsistence farming in Michoacan.

Edited by MuseZack, 03 May 2006 - 02:55 PM.

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#10 Lord Martock

Lord Martock
  • Islander
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:57 PM

Robert...have to disagree with you on this one.

I wouldn't starve...I would just have to start growing my own veggies and slaughtering my own beef.

Muse....I have done those thankless jobs.  I have cleaned the toilets...I have cleaned the floors.....I have built the barbwire fence's....I have cleared the fields of cow manure....and I have served the fast food from Mickey D's and Burger king.  So forgive me if I don't show sympathy.......

Been There............Done That.
May the Schwartz be with you.
Remember, No matter where you go....There you are.
It's a trick.....Get the Axe!

Posted Image

#11 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:59 PM

View PostMuseZack, on May 3 2006, 07:40 PM, said:

I'd like to at least temporarily stem the flow of undocumented immigrants to drive up wages in the agriculture, construction, and service sectors of the economy.

But, I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable with the tone of a lot of the anti-immigrant rhetoric.

Ditto.  I'm almost fearful of cinco de mayo problems...

I would definitely like to stop the flow.

I would definitely like to go after corporations that hire illegals because they don't want to pay what legals/citizens would want to do the job.  If that meant that products and services had to cost a little more, fine, because I'm not sure I want to buy clothing produced by sweatshop labor or eat food provided by exploited workers.  Find a way to check those social security numbers when hiring.   Once wages and benefits are fair, if there is still a labor shortage, try a guest worker program.

In the meantime, for those who have established a productive, if illegal, life here and have spouses or kids who are citizens, perhaps some kind of special green card coupled with a learn English requirement?  Coupled with strict enforcement at the border, deportation of recent illegals, etc. etc. to drive the point home that it will no longer be tolerated and that this is a one-time offer.  

But I can't see how any of it will work unless employers are stopped from hiring illegals because they won't pay enough to hire legals.

(RHW, those Italians and Eastern Europeans learned English in order to get ahead.  The fact that too many from south of the border don't is fueling, though not causing, the mounting problem.)

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#12 Eclipse

Eclipse

Preview Guy

• Islander
  • 831 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:42 PM

Do you know the Spanglish term for the predicament that describes 5 illegal aliens standing in quicksand ?

Spoiler: click to show/hide

Sinko de Five'o

Ashley Edward Miller said:
"Eclipse ...hmmmm .... for a minute, I thought you were someone important,
but, now I remember .... you're just that preview guy."

#13 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:42 PM

well I ate in a mexican restaurant last night watching the two bball playoff games on the two big screen flat tvs up on the walls; while I have no idea if that one guy who brought me the chips and sort of kind of said is there anything else might be illegal or not; I just know his English was slight: he didn't understand when I mentioned the asst mgr turned off the Lakers game over to the other game when he'd had it right with one game on each; I said 'he turned off the Laker game? can we have the Laker game back on?' and he had a glazed look; so, 'the Lakers, and Phoenix, the game? back on please?' he didn't get it; but the asst mgr got it right on his own after he noticed.

Anyway, story short: the owners have been in USA for decades, if the sons and daughters who brought gramma's recipes here and cooked in open plazas first and got the brand going were illegal at the beginning, and I doubt they were, they sure got legal over the decades and bring a great service ... it's Azteca.

I can't boycott Azteca just for some illegal situation going on around the state; that's like trying to convince people not to buy Hyundais because of Korean inroads into our markets when the price makes the people buy anyway and they won't listen to you.

The only way to boycott is, through research identify employers who habitually hire illegals, then when you know, speak and write out there in the sphere for people to vote with pocketbooks.

:harper:
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#14 Messenger

Messenger
  • Dead account
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:22 PM

The American worker fought long and hard so as not to be exploited by greedy employers.  Call it 'domestic outsourcing.'

Here are some interesting articles:

Exposing The Real Racists In The Immigration Debate

While many Mexicans vociferously denounce the criminalization of Mexicans living illegally in the United States, Mexico itself classifies those who enter its borders illegally as felons subject to deportation or two years in prison.

Mexico asks U.S. to do as it says, not as it does

Simply because it would be impractical to round up and deport millions of people isn't an excuse for letting them trample on American sovereignty. Crackdowns and heavy fines on businesses which employ illegals would have a tremendous effect in that the major supporter of such illegal and exploitative immigration is big business (Along with parts of the left of the political spectrum, and Cardinals seeking more support in the form of Catholic Mexicans.)

The immigrants which come to the United States legally have to go though all sorts of hoops and roll the dice more than once in order to be let into the US. And when they are allowed in, they don't make a public spectacle and announce that they seek to annex whatever neighborhoods they live in.

The idea of amnesty even being entertained is insulting.

Edited by Messenger, 03 May 2006 - 04:26 PM.

#15 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:27 PM

My view of illegals is like this:

Someone, who you didn't invite, comes into your house. Then procedes to tell you that you HAVE to ACCOMODATE them. You have to speak their language. Pay for their medical bills. Pay their share of the taxes. Give them every break in the book, and some that weren't in the book. Change your identity to suit them.....need I go on?

I wouldn't put up with that from my own family members, let alone someone I actually invited to my home....So you can imagine my reaction to someone who I don't know and who wasn't invited trying that.....

I just can't say it here, cause of the board guidelines.

On another note, I heard that there was a video game where the object was to shoot and kill illegal imigrants crossing the border. Does anyone know if this is true? Or just a rumor? If true, I just might have to get that game.

As for boycotting things made in Mexico....I don't wear anything that says made in mexico. Most of my things say made in china or taiwan...lol. As for boycotting coffee....can't do that. me without coffee....it wouldn't be pretty. Fast food???? But I love McDonald's fries...lol.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#16 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:57 PM

We are going to a Mexican restaurant for Cinco de Mayo, but it is locally owned and we know the owner.  No illegals there.

As for coffee, I buy Fair Trade Organic Coffee, doing that helps the farmers to make a decent living and helps keep the rainforest growing.

We can make informed choices, do the best we can and change things a little at a time.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#17 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:22 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on May 3 2006, 05:27 PM, said:

My view of illegals is like this:

Someone, who you didn't invite, comes into your house. Then procedes to tell you that you HAVE to ACCOMODATE them. You have to speak their language. Pay for their medical bills. Pay their share of the taxes. Give them every break in the book, and some that weren't in the book. Change your identity to suit them.....need I go on?

Not at all.  I'm sure that's exactly how the Native Americans felt.  Oh--wait.  You weren't talking about the people we swiped the land from in the first place, were ya?

On another note, I heard that there was a video game where the object was to shoot and kill illegal imigrants crossing the border. Does anyone know if this is true? Or just a rumor? If true, I just might have to get that game.

Xenophobia: The Game.  Sounds like fun.

Edited by _ph, 03 May 2006 - 05:27 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#18 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:47 PM

Need more doctors? Build more f-in medical schools!!
Historically hospitals have been reluctant to support the building of more medical and nursing schools in this country because the training of American interns and nurses is too expensive, and American interns tend to report to state medical boards work place violations in intern staffing. Last I knew a few years ago the cost of medical school was $90,000, it has gone up since. Where foreign trained doctors cost less to train and take less money and generally keep their mouths shut when over worked.

Not enough hands to pick the fruit? The reported lack of American agricultural workers is absolute and total propaganda, and misinformation, foisted on the America public by grower associations, to circumvent the laws on the treatment of American migrant workers. In the late 1960s and early seventies the so-called “liberal press” got a bug up its butt about the rather abysmal treatment and living conditions of the American migrant workers. No schooling for their children, no health care, and third world level living conditions at the farmer own camps. The media rant became a hue and cry and many states, mostly in the south and southwest started to enact laws to at least get American children some shots, schooling, and clean drinking water. AND yes that is how bad it was, and still is for the American agricultural workers. Many growers took exception to the laws and the cost and started to bus workers in from Mexico, some legally most not. An interesting fact there is in current manufacture, harvesting machines that can pick the crops, only many growers fined it more profitable to hire illegal migrants, then use the machinery or hire American workers that are covered by work place laws. If all the illegal migrant agricultural workers where sent back home, there is more then enough machinery and American migrants to make up any slack in production in less then two seasons, and even at that, the slack would not be severe at all. Oh one other point, according to CNN illegal migrant agricultural workers only make up 23% of the agricultural workforce.

Edited by emsparks, 03 May 2006 - 05:52 PM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#19 Messenger

Messenger
  • Dead account
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:13 PM

View Post_ph, on May 3 2006, 10:22 PM, said:

Not at all.  I'm sure that's exactly how the Native Americans felt.  Oh--wait.  You weren't talking about the people we swiped the land from in the first place, were ya?
It has happened all through out history, yet more focus is on the particular conquests of the people of the early United States.

Why?

You mean the tens of thousands of illegal aliens who take down the American flag and put up a Mexican flag in its stead, the Mexicans who openly call for the extirpation of any and all people of European descent from North America, and whose native country has horrendous double-standards when it comes to immigation?

Posted Image

If anything, the United States is the most accepting nation on the planet. People who criticise illegal immigration and who happen to be white have to tread on eggshells, lest they be called racist. In fact, racism is the most convenient excuse when it comes to whitewashing the incredibly deleterious effect waves of illegal Mexican immigrants have on the United States.

Taylor said Mexican immigration is bad for the United States and cited statistics detailing high crime and school dropout rates among Hispanics. Gutierrez said those statistics are an ugly reality because whites have been in charge and have discriminated so harshly against Hispanics.

http://www.dfw.com/m...fw/14456647.htm

Furthermore, the charge of racism or xenophobia fails to explain why other, even more 'distant' groups of non-European and non-Christian peoples are able to assimilate and contribute to American society.

Many individuals, particularly those in the fields of medicine and technology, consider Indian Americans to be the epitome of the model minority. Indeed, according to the U.S. Census Indian Americans have the highest median income of any ethnic group in the U.S. ($60,093). They are considered a very affluent community. In addition, Merrill Lynch recently revealed that there are nearly 200,000 Indian American millionaires. According to the American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin, there are close to 41,000 Indian American doctors. Indeed according to US Census 2000,about 64% of Asian Indians in The United States have attained a Bachelor's degree or more.

http://en.wikipedia....Indian_American

#20 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:14 PM

View Post_ph, on May 3 2006, 06:22 PM, said:

Nope, wasn't talking about them. If I were, I would've added the part about the univited person raping and kill the homeowner.

Definately not one of our better historic moments.

Beats the ones the illegals are playing now....Alien Invasion!
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Immigration, Illegals

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users