21 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

Spoilers

And don't forget bananas are good for you, lots of potassum.

The Child's plague is spreading throughout wartime London, and its zombie army is on the march. The Doctor and Rose form an alliance with intergalactic con-man Captain Jack, but find themselves trapped in the abandoned hospital. The answer lies at the bombsite, but time is running out…

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:05 PM

View PostDWF, on May 10 2006, 08:24 PM, said:

Too bad they're not on the South Beach menu.  :pout:

#3 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:07 PM

Lookin' forward to this one...again. :D

#4 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:16 PM

View PostNathrakh, on May 10 2006, 11:05 PM, said:

Too bad they're not on the South Beach menu.  :pout:

I don't think Captain Jack needs the South Beach diet though.  ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:19 PM

View PostDWF, on May 10 2006, 10:16 PM, said:

I don't think Captain Jack needs the South Beach diet though.  ;)

Lucky him.

#6 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:23 PM

I love this episode. :cool:
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#7 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:26 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on May 10 2006, 10:23 PM, said:

I love this episode. :cool:

Let's hope the Whobies feel the same. ;)

#8 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

The one shocker at the end isn't in retropect a shocker or it shouldn't be given the number of suspects.  ;)

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:23 PM

I loved the Doctor's exultant shout: "Everybody lives!  Just this once -- everybody lives!"  That was an uplifting moment, considering how high the death toll usually is on this show.  And of course it had personal meaning for him given that he lost his whole species not so long ago.  A terrific moment for Eccleston and for the Doctor.  (Although the validity of the sentiment is questionable considering that there was a massive aerial bombardment going on at the time.)

Overall, quite an effective episode.  Nancy was a terrific character, very resourceful and smart, and ultimately the key to the whole story.  It'd be interesting to find out what happened to her and Jamie in the decades that followed.

My one problem with this one was that it kind of pulled the same scare tactic twice -- first it takes our gang a few moments to realize that the tape has run out and the "Mummy?" pleas come from the actual Child, and then it takes Nancy's bunch a few moments to realize that the kid isn't typing anymore and it's the Child sending them a message.  It was effective the first time (although the tape machine was anachronistic, as Wikipedia pointed out), but doing it twice in quick succession weakened it.

But the stuff leading up to it was great.  I never thought I'd see the Doctor telling a horde of menacing zombies to "Go to your room!" and have it work.  But it made sense.  (Plus the hilarious followup, "I'm really glad that worked.  Those would've been terrible last words!")  And then of course "his room" turns out to be the very place the Doctor et al. ended up!  Oopsie!

One thing I'm wondering: did the motivation for "Are you my mummy?" come from Jamie or the nanogenes?  Was it some residual impulse in the dead child's brain, the portion of it that the nanogenes were able to reactivate?  Maybe the last thought Jamie had before he died?  Or was it a manifestation of the nanogenes' search for an uncorrupted DNA sample?  Hmm, no, in that case, why would the nanogenes have transformed others to match Jamie?  And as the Doctor said, it took the genes a moment to "figure it out" when Nancy identified herself as "Mummy."  So that suggests they weren't specifically looking for her.  It's just kind of a lucky happenstance that the residual impulse driving zombie Jamie (for whatever reason) ended up pointing the nanogenes to the very thing they needed.

So only three episodes left this season, huh?  Or is it four?  The Beeb's website lists "The Christmas Invasion" as part of this season, but I don't know whether SciFi's going to show it.

Edited by Christopher, 12 May 2006 - 10:43 PM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#10 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:30 PM

Now I get it.  I forgot about that  line. :lol:

Edited by Nathrakh, 12 May 2006 - 09:31 PM.

#11 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:02 PM

View PostChristopher, on May 12 2006, 10:23 PM, said:

So only three episodes left this season, huh?  Or is it four?  The Beeb's website lists "The Christmas Invasion" as part of this season, but I don't know whether SciFi's going to show it.
The BBC is selling it as part of the season 2 DVDs so I think it's part of season 2.

#12 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:15 AM

Very wonderful episode. This is one of my favorites of the season.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#13 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:37 AM

This one had me wondering what in the world is going to happen, and how is the Doctor going to solve this one?  This second part was an awesome ep!  Well, both part 1 and 2 were.  Anyway, what a great ending!  And EVERYBODY LIVES!!! :cool:  Very well written story, with some cool twists and revelations.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#14 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:20 AM

Rose looked great in this one and there were plenty of good shots in it they did a good job or recreating that era but then the BBC are excellent at historical dramas, the Bad Wolf reference was pretty obsure this time out I wonder who spotted it this time.

The fact that Nancy was Jamie's mother was alittle bit of a surprise but it shouldn't have been and I too loved the ending.

#15 Flechette

Flechette
  • Islander
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:00 AM

Actually I missed the Bad Wolf reference in the last three - basically starting from "Father's Day"  

Could somebody perhaps post them?  Maybe under a spoiler cover or PM me them?

Thanks!

FWIW -  I absolutely adore this series.  Even the slightly uneven episodes (this isn't one) are head and shoulders above the rest. :love:

#16 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:10 AM

View PostFlechette, on May 13 2006, 10:00 AM, said:

Actually I missed the Bad Wolf reference in the last three - basically starting from "Father's Day"

There hasn't been a Bad Wolf reference since Dalek but in this ep. it was written in German on the bomb that Jack stopped at the end.

http://www.badwolf.org.uk/clues.html

#17 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:40 AM

View PostFlechette, on May 13 2006, 10:00 AM, said:

Could somebody perhaps post them?

Here you go:

Father's Day: A poster advertising a rave in 1987 has the words "BAD WOLF" defacing it.

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances: The bomb that Captain Jack rides at the end of the story is labelled "SCHLECHTER WOLF", which is roughly "Bad Wolf" (or "Worse Wolf") in German.
http://en.wikipedia....s_in_Doctor_Who
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#18 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:54 PM

Here's an interesting question, how many sexual/homosexual references can be spotted in this two parter, including the title?

And yes some of them are deliberate.

#19 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

^

My current guess: a hell of a lot of them. ;)

#20 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:27 PM

Including Nancy blackmailing Mr. Lloyd with her knowing he's "messing about" with the local butcher?

-cs™

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, Doctor Who: Series 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users