• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 11:35 PM

I've maintained that the US needs to more meaningfully guard its borders ever since 9/11. They're our most vulnerable point, and that's blatantly obvious to any who care to look.

Here's proof more clear than I could have even ASKED for on a silver platter:

http://www.theboston...665/detail.html

NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. -- Stepped-up security at the nation's borders didn't stop a 7-year-old Canadian boy from riding a bike through a border crossing undetected.

Police say Mitchel Hernder rode his bike more than eight miles from his home in Niagara Falls, Ontario to Niagara Falls, N.Y.,....

How was he found? UAVs? Border patrol? Law enforcement?

No:

where he was found at a busy intersection.

Mitchel, who is described as mildly autistic, slipped away from his home Saturday afternoon and rode away on his sister's bike. A search for the boy was launched after his parents noticed that he was missing.

Authorities say he managed to get past U.S. Customs officials undetected. Police tell The Buffalo News that they suspect the boy made his way across a bridge on either a deck for vehicle traffic or an unused deck with abandoned train tracks.

Mitchel's father says family members searched their Canadian neighborhood for the boy, but never thought to look across the border.

That's right. Billions of dollars, nearly two years of effort, the most powerful military in the world... and our borders can be violated by a child.

If this wasn't so tremendously dangerous, I'd laugh.... and if it wasn't so hysterically inept, I'd cry.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 12:27 AM

Hey, I'm just glad the kid's okay.  Did anyone see the episode of TV Nation a few years ago where Michael Moore (of all people) led groups of unemployed Canadians across the border into the US, to the utter indifference of the American guards?  It was basically a stunt to illustrate the double standards between the Mexican and Canadian borders, but still pretty funny.

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 12:29 AM

Oh, I'm glad the kid is okay too. :). No doubt about that; if any harm came to him, I would have focused on that, not the issue of border security.

Did anyone see the episode of TV Nation a few years ago where Michael Moore (of all people) led groups of unemployed Canadians across the border into the US, to the utter indifference of the American guards? It was basically a stunt to illustrate the double standards between the Mexican and Canadian borders, but still pretty funny.

That is enertaining. And no, I missed it the first time.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Guest-AleisterCrowley-Guest

Guest-AleisterCrowley-Guest

Posted 13 May 2003 - 02:36 AM

That just about sums it up, doesn't it?

#5 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 03:38 AM

I'm surprised they passed up the chance to shoot Moore.
Can't Touch This!!

#6 StarDust

StarDust
  • Islander
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 05:13 AM

Well, it is possible the kid made it across unnoticed because he was a kid. :lol: No one is going to think much about a kid, and in a world where parents don't watch their kids out in public, is it surprising that others don't either?

However, with regards to border security, I'm afraid our long standing relationship with Canada is probably be coming to an end. There are obviously issues to having an open border for the US. And Canada is obviously not interested in dealing with those issues at their borders. That doesn't really leave us much choice.

#7 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 05:24 AM

Yes, it's the invasion of the Canadian preteens, and their Huffies, they come here and spead their useless Canadian coinage, and buying cheap comic books. By all means they should stop all children at the border, and make certain o contraband coins are making their way into our pockets. :eek2:  :eek:  :eek2:  :nervousninja:

Edited by DWF, 13 May 2003 - 05:25 AM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#8 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 05:33 AM

I'm not surprised. The Whirlpool Bridge has a decommisioned railroad bridge stacked with it, which is probably how he got in, because nobody's watching a bridge no one comes over.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#9 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 06:41 PM

StarDust, on May 13 2003, 03:00 AM, said:

However, with regards to border security, I'm afraid our long standing relationship with Canada is probably be coming to an end. There are obviously issues to having an open border for the US. And Canada is obviously not interested in dealing with those issues at their borders. That doesn't really leave us much choice.
Agreed.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#10 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 06:47 PM

What issues would those be?

#11 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 06:51 PM

ZipperInt, on May 13 2003, 04:34 PM, said:

What issues would those be?
Terrorism and Drug Smuggling are the two principle cross border arguments right now.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""

#12 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 06:57 PM

I thought it was wheat tariffs and softwood lumber. :p
Per aspera ad astra

#13 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 07:02 PM

Don't US guards inspect the traffic coming into the USA? If so, how does a (supposed) lack of Canadian interest in border security even matter?
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#14 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 07:09 PM

ZipperInt, on May 13 2003, 04:49 PM, said:

Don't US guards inspect the traffic coming into the USA? If so, how does a (supposed) lack of Canadian interest in border security even matter?
The border is fairly loosely patrolled and enforced now to not impede the free flow of items between the US and Canada.   So in the current system smugglers and other undesirables (terrorists) that Canada has a great propensity toward freely playing host to can sneak into the US easier.
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Immigration, Border Patrol

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users