46 replies to this topic

#21 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:51 PM

jon3831, on May 14 2003, 03:11 PM, said:

I'm wondering if this could backfire on the fleeing Dems?

What provisions does Texas state law have for declaring seats vacant and having the Governor appoint people to fill them?
Didn't seem to do the current Speaker of the House any lasting harm, he's the one who pioneered this little parliamentary lateral pass, as the article Zack quotes above indicated.

The 51 members who are in Oklahoma will be back in Austin on Friday.

Update on Texas Leg Walkout

Ro

#22 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:56 PM

More on the ripples from the Texas Exodus.

Congressional offices issued dueling press releases, but none more vigorously than Rep. Martin Frost, D-Arlington, who has stepped in as DeLay's opposite number in the redistricting battle. DeLay is pushing the new districts to replace four Democrats with Republicans, a shift that acknowledges the numerical supremacy of Texas Republicans.

"Yesterday, 53 Texas Patriots took a courageous and principled stand against Tom DeLay's power-hungry campaign to force his personal political agenda ahead of the real issues facing Texas — the $10 billion budget crisis, the insurance crisis and the state finance crisis," charged Frost, who is one of the Democratic lawmakers targeted by the plan.

The only Texan seemingly uninterested in the saga was President Bush. Touring the scene of tornado damage in Pierce, Mo., told reporters Tuesday he was not following events in his home state.

"But I'm confident my friend, that Governor Perry will be able to deal with it," he said, then ended an impromptu press conference.

I don't really believe he's not following the brouhaha. After all, he wants those districts Republican as much as any of the  party leaders do.  

Quote is from: Austin American-Statesman Online

Ro

#23 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:05 PM

Serial posting another article excerpt since you all have roused my curiosity.

This is the Texas Reps statement as to why they took the extraordinary step of leaving during a Legislative session:

Dem's Statement

Partial Quote:

We refuse to be present:

• Because the Texas House has more important business than satisfying Tom DeLay: a $10 billion shortfall, a school finance crisis, a troubled economy, insurance abuse (our Governor's declared emergency, and still not passed) and a looming disaster in health care for the children, the elderly and the disabled.

• Because the House Redistricting Committee violated the Voting Rights Act, and refused to respect the voice of all Texans.

• Because the actual map to be considered by the House was intentionally hidden, then suddenly introduced at the last minute and voted out at a late night meeting with no opportunity for public comment.

• Because DeLay's gerrymander splits cities and fractures traditional communities of interest—like the grotesque plan to crack Austin into four separate districts, with tentacles that stretch from the Capitol to Houston on the east and southward hundreds of to the miles to the Mexican border.

Texas today has more important business than bending to Tom DeLay: like a $10 billion budget shortfall, a school finance, a troubled economy, insurance abuse and a looming disaster in health care for children, the elderly and the disabled. We are ready to work to solve the problems caused by budget cuts in education and health care, not on cutting up the State of Texas to satisfy Tom DeLay's quest for power.

It's a power play by the Repulican party, pure and simple. Written up in secret  for no other reason than to  marginalize those on the left of center.

A democracy needs to include all  constituencies, or its no longer democracy at all.

Ro

#24 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:22 PM

Ro-Astarte, on May 14 2003, 01:38 PM, said:

Didn't seem to do the current Speaker of the House any lasting harm, he's the one who pioneered this little parliamentary lateral pass, as the article Zack quotes above indicated.
Granted. I'm just curious on the theoretical aspects of this... After all, if the Dems are going to bluff, they have to be prepared for the Reps to raise...

Either way, they don't have a quorum, so the House is effectively stalled until the "fugitives" get back.

I just wonder who's paying for this expedition...

I don't really believe he's not following the brouhaha. After all, he wants those districts Republican as much as any of the party leaders do.

Oh, I'm sure he's following it. He just (wisely) doesn't want to get involved.  After all, it's a state issue, not a federal one.
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#25 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:27 PM

Well let's see now.

If say, Republican legislators in California pulled something like that I believe my response would be:

Cop-out loser cowards.

Which would explain my distaste for what the Texan Democrat Legislators are pulling.

:whatsthat:
Posted Image

#26 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:33 PM

^Gak.

I can't handle this, Lil...

We've agreed four times this week.

*checks the hinges of hell to see if they're frozen*

:eek:  :eek:

EDIT: It's actually four times this week, which is even more frightening.  :eek:  :eek:  :oh:

Edited by jon3831, 14 May 2003 - 11:35 PM.

"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#27 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:35 PM

jon3831, on May 14 2003, 04:09 PM, said:

I don't really believe he's not following the brouhaha. After all, he wants those districts Republican as much as any of the party leaders do.

Oh, I'm sure he's following it. He just (wisely) doesn't want to get involved.  After all, it's a state issue, not a federal one.
Not according to Tom DeLay, House Majority Whip.  

He's the sponsor of this whole takeover plan anyway.

Ro

#28 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:38 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on May 14 2003, 04:14 PM, said:

Well let's see now.

If say, Republican legislators in California pulled something like that I believe my response would be:

Cop-out loser cowards.
And your reaction to the radical redrawing of the redistricting map done in secret and  with no public discussion before it was to be rammed through in the middle of substantive legislation would be what?

Ro

#29 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:49 PM

^

disgust, a loud call for reformation of the process and the preparation of a lawsuit to challenge it.

Not running away in a cowardly fashion to prevent a vote from happening on something I happen to disagree with.

The price of democracy is not always getting your way.
Posted Image

#30 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:51 PM

jon3831, on May 14 2003, 02:20 PM, said:

^Gak.

I can't handle this, Lil...

We've agreed four times this week.

*checks the hinges of hell to see if they're frozen*

:eek:  :eek:

EDIT: It's actually four times this week, which is even more frightening.  :eek:  :eek:  :oh:
I'm not the leftist a lot of people think I am.  To be sure I'm left of the middle but a lot closer to it than I used to be, say ten years ago.

Gak.  My parents warned me this would happen and I told them they were full of it.

:ninja:
Posted Image

#31 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:59 PM

Shal:  and ya know..the Texas Rangers are a part of DPS...hehehe

At least one report I read said the Rangers were the ones doing the hunting down.  I can just imagine how grumpy it makes the Rangers when they have to hunt down some wayward politicians.  

Lil: Gak. My parents warned me this would happen and I told them they were full of it.

Lil, you are living up to the words of Winston Churchill. :D  Just wait until the day you say Reagan was a great guy. :devil:  :cool:

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 14 May 2003 - 11:59 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#32 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:03 AM

CJ AEGIS, on May 14 2003, 02:46 PM, said:

Lil, you are living up to the words of Winston Churchill. :D  Just wait until the day you say Reagan was a great guy. :devil:  :cool:
Alas poor Aegis, I knew him well, until he earned my wrath that is....

**Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite** **Point Singularity Smite**

And STAY down!   :devil:
Posted Image

#33 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:05 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on May 14 2003, 04:36 PM, said:

^

disgust, a loud call for reformation of the process and the preparation of a lawsuit to challenge it.

Not running away in a cowardly fashion to prevent a vote from happening on something I happen to disagree with.

The price of democracy is not always getting your way.
As expected, you have more faith in the prospect of a lawsuit than I do.  Even if the remedy came, it could take years.

Denying them a quorum is much quicker, and  as noted, this is a tactic the Republicans have also used-- some of them the very same ones crying foul now.

The very same ones who pledged themselves to bipartisanship when the legislature opened, only to do what was politically expedient to ensure Republican's being able to divide and conquer more central/liberal populations to deny them representation.  

Then, they basically told House Dems to just bend over and take it.  So much for bipartisan politics.

Ro

#34 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:08 AM

At the risk of being cliche' like:  two wrongs don't make a right.

I'm no fan of Texas politics.  Never have been and never will be.

But the fact that Republicans have misbehaved before and are now *shockingly* ;) exhibiting signs of hypocrisy doesn't make me like what the Democrats are doing any better.

Lil
Posted Image

#35 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:10 AM

I'm not familar with the earlier incident, but if it's as presented, it's hypocritical.

That doesn't make the dems actions here right or proper....
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#36 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:18 AM

I'm no fan of Texas politics either.  They manage to make the Az Leg look more or less professional, and that's saying something. (I moved to Austin from Az.)

But sometimes you have to shake the tree a bit to get the monkey's attn. ;)

And, given that I've recently been taken to task for commenting on hypocrisy in the Republican leadership, I confess to feeling a little giddy sense of vindication.

So sue me,

:cool: Ro

#37 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:24 AM

Ro-Astarte, on May 14 2003, 03:05 PM, said:

I'm no fan of Texas politics either.  They manage to make the Az Leg look more or less professional, and that's saying something. (I moved to Austin from Az.)
But my legislature is so gosh dang enertaining.... did you know that they made it grounds for termination for any state employee to commit a terrorist attack?

I certainly feel better.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#38 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:26 AM

Javert Rovinski, on May 14 2003, 05:11 PM, said:

Ro-Astarte, on May 14 2003, 03:05 PM, said:

I'm no fan of Texas politics either.  They manage to make the Az Leg look more or less professional, and that's saying something. (I moved to Austin from Az.)
But my legislature is so gosh dang enertaining.... did you know that they made it grounds for termination for any state employee to commit a terrorist attack?

I certainly feel better.
Hey, security starts at homeland. ;)

Ro

#39 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 02:06 AM

I heard on local radio (here in Austin) that the missing Reps will be back on Friday.

And if they did charge the Texas Rangers with finding those guys, they would have only needed one. Cause  The Texas Rangers have a saying "One Riot ... One Ranger"...

Democrats to return to Capitol Friday - Proposal to redraw congressional boundaries will die Thursday

BTW... there are now "missing House Democrats" playing cards...

'shana

edited to add this note

Spot the Democrat & Enter to Win

As you may know, a bunch of Texas Democrats are on the lam from the state legislature and are hiding out in Ardmore, OK. But some of them have been seen surfing around on Austin360.

Rep. Eddie Rodriquez, D-Austin was last seen checking up on this week's new releases.

If you can find him, you can enter our drawing to win passes to see "Bruce Almighty," starring Jim Carrey.

For more information on the wayward Democrats, see statesman.com's ongoing coverage.

From Spot the Democrat & Enter to Win

Edited by Shoshana, 15 May 2003 - 02:11 AM.

#40 StarDust

StarDust
  • Islander
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 05:12 AM

Well, first and foremost, I find this quite funny.  I also liked the 'killer bee' article. Missed it at the time :lol:

I can see both sides. Although I don't understand sending law enforcement to hunt down members of the legislature that don't show up for work. That just seems strange. I hope they don't do that to me next time I don't go into work! :lol:

Both parties all over the country use redistricing to their advantage, and I think it stinks. I think districts should be as closely drawn to natural boundries as possible, town lines, cities lines, neighborhood lines, etc.  We all know where places are in our neck of the woods, and the districts should be as close to that as possible. That is the best way to represent an area, which is what they are supposed to be doing.  Can you imagine redrawing state lines every so often to benefit what ever party is the majority in Congress????

However, not showing up is a valid tool and I see nothing wrong with it, especially when used to deal with an opposition that is breaking all the rules and it's the last option, as in the 'killer bee' situation. Of course they could just as easily filibuster, I would think, only it would be less comfortable for those in the opposition. ( I always think of that Senator Sterling episode now when I think of filibusters :) No bathroom break has got to be tough! )

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Texas, Texas Politics

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users