• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 05:15 AM

Another interesting redistricting note.  The current map was derived by a federal lawsuit when the last lege couldn't  agree on a map.

:unsure:  You know, we pay these folks $20 a day (and expenses), which I think is scandalous.  Some days, though, I wonder  if we're even getting our money's worth...

Ro

#42 Poohkitty

Poohkitty
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 03:58 PM

Being a Texan, I am sick and tired of my elected leaders running away from trouble.  I thought we Texans were known for standing up for what we believe and fighting for it.  I think they are acting like little boys and they should grow up and quit playing hide & seek.  This State has worse problems that need taking care of first, but that is just my way of thinking.

#43 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 04:01 PM

How did this turn out?

Did the fugitive legislators return to work?

Did the legislature get back to doing the state's work?

Did Batman and Robin escape the evil clutches of the Penguin?

Well... Maybe not that last one...
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#44 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 12:43 AM

They were back at work Friday.

The redistricting bill died at midnight Thursday.

I haven't read of any new developments since then.

Ro

#45 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:31 AM

Ro-Astarte, on May 20 2003, 06:50 AM, said:

They were back at work Friday.

The redistricting bill died at midnight Thursday.

I haven't read of any new developments since then.

Ro
They were applauded as they returned to work (not by their Republican counterparts :p).

They accomplished exactly what they set out to do in time-honored Texas tradition, and now it's business as usual.  :D

Edited by Rhea, 21 May 2003 - 02:24 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#46 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:34 AM

StarDust, on May 14 2003, 11:19 AM, said:

Both parties all over the country use redistricing to their advantage, and I think it stinks. I think districts should be as closely drawn to natural boundries as possible, town lines, cities lines, neighborhood lines, etc.  We all know where places are in our neck of the woods, and the districts should be as close to that as possible. That is the best way to represent an area, which is what they are supposed to be doing.  Can you imagine redrawing state lines every so often to benefit what ever party is the majority in Congress????
I'm with Stardust on this one. There should be a comprehensive Federal redistricting law that takes redistricting out of political hands and lets the government determine it based solely on population (maybe the Census Bureau would be the likely dept.)

It is reprehensible on both sides to keep using redistricting as a political tool. I don't think the politicos should be allowed anywhere near it. Period.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#47 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:36 AM

^I wholeheartedly agree.

Ironically, as I mentioned above, the current district map for Texas was arrived at through litigation in Federal court when the two major parties couldn't come to  an agreement the last time redistricting was legally mandated.

So, I expect it's probably fairer than either party would like.

Ro

Edited by Ro-Astarte, 21 May 2003 - 01:41 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Texas, Texas Politics

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users