Military US PTS Military Suicides 2006

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#141 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:20 AM

Here's some more info on this topic from the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#142 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:54 AM

View PostZwolf666, on May 30 2006, 08:20 AM, said:

Here's some more info on this topic from the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.
EXcellent article.  Thanks, Z.  

Col. Elspeth Ritchie, the psychiatric consultant to the Army surgeon general, acknowledged that the practice also serves the military.

"Historically, we've found patients evacuated out of theater don't return," said Ritchie. "In time of great difficulty - and there's no question the war over there is very difficult - sometimes anxiety and depression may overwhelm a soldier, and they feel like they've just got to get out of this place.

"But if they are evacuated out, they tend to have the stigma of leaving as a psychiatric case - and then it's a loss of manpower for the service."
It looks to me like maintaining this stigma is another form of stop loss, and a mighty self-serving one.  :angry:  

The military has about 230 counselors dispatched in Iraq and Kuwait for about 100,000 troops, about the same number as in 2004, an Army spokesman said. But there are signs that the providers themselves are burning out.

A team of mental health experts reported in January 2005 that caregivers were experiencing "compassion fatigue," with one-third of behavioral health workers reporting high burnout, and one in six acknowledging that stress was hurting their ability to do their jobs.

"If our providers are impaired," the team wrote, "our ability to intervene early and assist Soldiers with their problems may be degraded."
I'm seeing burnout in VAMC clinicians too.  :(  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Military, US, PTS, Military Suicides, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users