--General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 03:06 AM

Well that was whatI was saying in the thread about the Washington redskins.  How far should this beallowed to go?
Well I guess we better get rid of the Patriots as a name bec ause somebody might be offened.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 03:28 AM

G1223, on May 12 2003, 07:53 PM, said:

Well that was whatI was saying in the thread about the Washington redskins.  How far should this beallowed to go?
Well I guess we better get rid of the Patriots as a name bec ause somebody might be offened.
Minuteman is a long long way from a racial slur like "Redskin."
Can't Touch This!!

#4 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 03:41 AM

Well, uh, I guess it might be considered a slur on guys who are a bit inadequate in the bedroom... :wacko:  ;)

Nah! It's just a stupid idea. There's nothing wrong with Minutemen.

According to Springfield Republican outdoors writer Frank Sousa, however, the portrayal of a cuddly wolf is ridiculous.

"Wolves attack only the sick, injured and helpless," said Sousa, one of the region's foremost outdoors spokesmen.

Just the image you want for a college sports team. ;) :hehe:
Per aspera ad astra

#5 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 03:56 AM

I must say that this just seems petty and another symptom of people who have their priorities all out of whack.

What is the historical FACT of who in fact WERE Minute Men back then.  Was it women?  Unless I'm seriously misremembering the answer is no.

To me this is no better than the firefighter monument after 9-11, which instead of accurately portraying those who were actually being memorialized was made to be diverse in the name of political correctness?

Where does it end?

Lil
Posted Image

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 03:57 AM

Kosh you wish to push your POV and have supporters but  if face the fact  this is your desire to force the majority which cares neither your way nor mine.

That is the issue. Is the PC movement wanting half measures? by this no not at all.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 04:03 AM

I think Kosh makes a valid distinction.  There is a big difference between using a racial slur to name a sports team and continuing to use a name for a group of MEN that is nothing but accurate.

Red Skin is as much a racial slur as the N word, Frog, Chink, Jap, Coolie or any number of other racial insults that I doubt anyone would think appropriate as a sports team name.

But that doesn't mean that "Minutemen" falls any where close to that category.  IMO it doesn't.  Apples and Turnips as far as I'm concerned.
Posted Image

#8 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 04:08 AM

Sorry we disagree to me the teams name only became this great slur with the PC movement otherwise most folks could give a crap.

TANSTAAFL

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 04:13 AM

To me it's this simple (and this is to *me*).  If you object to Native Americans being referred to as "Red Skins" then you must object to a sports team of the same name.

If you don't then it's fine.

To me (and again I only speak to myself) one can't support/condone/tolerate the use of racial slurs to promote things like sports team unless they themselves don't object to the racism behind the slur.

That's just my opinion.

Lil
Posted Image

#10 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 04:20 AM

Then you never liked the Washington RedSkins at anytime in your life? or was it only after someone told you it was a slur?

TANSTAAFL

#11 Laoise

Laoise

I am bounce around so well

• Islander
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 04:23 AM

Last time I checked, liking the talent of a team has nothing to do with liking the *name* of the team.
Being Liberal means never having to say you're Tory.

#12 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 04:23 AM

I'm a FORTY NINER FAN.  I hate the Red Skins on principle just due to that.  (It's true).

but if you're asking if I'd ever go to a Red Skins game or buy Red Skins merchandise, the answer is an unequivocal no.  And that would be my answer regardless of whether I loved the Niners.

Lil
Posted Image

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 04:24 AM

Laoise, on May 12 2003, 07:10 PM, said:

Last time I checked, liking the talent of a team has nothing to do with liking the *name* of the team.
That too.

Lil
Posted Image

#14 StarDust

StarDust
  • Islander
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 04:30 AM

Unfortunately, this is another case of 'drawing a line', only who decides where the line is.

The whole thing is rather silly. The minutemen is a historically accurate and important term. And the guy from Arizona may think the rest of the country doesn't care/know about the minutemen, but that is just a sad statement about them if true.

And using the term 'men' in a word isn't necessarily bad. Are we going to change the word 'mankind' next?  While I agree with changing terms like firemen to firefighters, they don't have historical significance.

Besides, without the Minutemen we wouldn't have a country. It's unfortunate that so many seem to want to throw out our history, or pasturize it. There's a lot to be proud of there.

And, unfortunately, it probably has more to do with the statement " The other could be a more child-friendly and marketable animal mascot, which are very popular in sports. " I think they just want to make more sales, when all is said and done, and they think changing the mascot will do it. The PC issues are just an excuse to get away with it.

In terms of PC in general, it is quite different than redskins. Redskins was always a derogoratory term, just people other than American Indians got used to it and stopped thinking about it that way. That's why some people don't understand and others do.

#15 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 04:34 AM

if face the fact this is your desire to force the majority which cares neither your way nor mine.

That's the game of politics. Swaying the masses one way or another. You point out things to folks, and if you are accurate, and consistant, sometimes they come around and something gets done.

This is not the biggest thing in the world to me. When I started the thread, I was looking for somehting that would fit the new forum. Historical, Political, and Current. I had two out of three with this topic and I thought it was current enough. It turned out to be interesting, and made me think about it more, so I would be more consistant. (Thanks Alister and all)

Would you walk up to a native, say a Hopi or a Cheroke, and say "Hey Redskin!"

Sorry to higjack things here, I agree that they are using it as an excuse, hoping to make more money.

Edited by Kosh, 13 May 2003 - 04:36 AM.

Can't Touch This!!

#16 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 04:37 AM

Higjacking. It's just like Highjacking, but without the h.
Can't Touch This!!

#17 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 05:14 AM

As anyone who has heard me talk of feminists should've guessed, I agree with this:

"I think this gender-bias stuff has gone way overboard," said Lorinda A. Luce, regent of Northampton's Betty Allen Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

It's one thing to change offensive ethnic terms like Redskins and the like. . .but removing a mascot because it *gasp* uses the word "men" is just. . .well. . .I'll say nonsense.  Another term comes to mind, but I'll play nice. :angel:
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#18 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 05:15 AM

Kosh, on May 12 2003, 08:21 PM, said:

Would you walk up to a native, say a Hopi or a Cheroke, and say "Hey Redskin!"
*choke* :wacko:

Umm, no I wouldn't do that. ;)

I've known a few indians (or First Nations people, or whatever it is they're supposed to be now), and they'd most likely take a swing at somebody who said that.

Edited by Kevin Street, 13 May 2003 - 05:20 AM.

Per aspera ad astra

#19 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 02:10 PM

The minuteman has survived the latest assault on tradition:

http://www.gazettene...sports/5881.htm
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#20 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 03:40 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on May 12 2003, 05:03 PM, said:

I must say that this just seems petty and another symptom of people who have their priorities all out of whack.

What is the historical FACT of who in fact WERE Minute Men back then.  Was it women?  Unless I'm seriously misremembering the answer is no.

To me this is no better than the firefighter monument after 9-11, which instead of accurately portraying those who were actually being memorialized was made to be diverse in the name of political correctness?

Where does it end?

Lil
Applause

Absolutely.  PC-ism has gone off a cliff.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Political Correctness, Politics-American, Minutemen

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users