53 replies to this topic

#21 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:59 AM

View PostSmitty, on May 20 2006, 12:28 AM, said:

Wait a second!

Mickey referred to Jack as Jumpin' Jack Flash.

DWF posted Jumpin' Jack Flash as the subtitle to his Aliens of London (which this ep is a sequel to) review thread.

Hmm, just a coincidence DW?

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" is a well-known cultural reference, both as an old British legend (Springheel Jack) and a Rolling Stones song presumably named after the legend.  So it's no surprise that it would show up in more than one place.  I believe DWF explained that he was alluding to the line from the Stones song about "It's a gas, gas, gas," which has nothing to do with Capt. Harkness.  So yes, coincidence.

Okay, what's with the old Hanna-Barbara sound effects for the Slitheen teleporter?
Come to think of it I heard the same sound fx last week too.  :whatsthat:

What the deal RTD, can't pony over a few quid to the fx guys for new sounds?

Oh, I think it's cool to hear those vintage sound FX getting new life.

View PostCyncie, on May 20 2006, 05:10 AM, said:

Boom Town seems to be viewed by many of the fans as "filler"-- a let down from those two episodes -- but I found it to be much more deep and intelligently thought provoking.

You're kidding.  People thought this was filler??  Oh, that's sad.  Just shows how many people are only watching for the big 'splosions and spectacle.  Fiction is about characters most of all -- if it weren't for them, we'd have no reason to watch.  And this episode was all about the characters.  It was anything but filler.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#22 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:04 AM

View PostCyncie, on May 20 2006, 09:27 AM, said:

I know that. I was referring to the difference in the general consensus fan opinion vs my own. Everyone loved TEC/TDD, I didn't. Everyone hated Boom Town. I didn't.

~Cyn

Well I liked it and I think the general feeling I get is that people liked it.  :cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#23 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:43 AM

I did like it, but I feel it gets better upon repeat viewings, so that you can ignore the whole rift subplot and actually concentrate on the great interpersonal performances.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#24 KRAD

KRAD

just smile and wave, boys -- smile and wave

• Demigod
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:14 AM

View PostChristopher, on May 20 2006, 09:59 AM, said:

You're kidding.  People thought this was filler??  Oh, that's sad.  Just shows how many people are only watching for the big 'splosions and spectacle.

Right, it can't possibly be that people didn't like the episode, they simply have to be simpletons who want 'splosions and spectacle. Must be why they liked "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" so much, since that had lots of spectacle and 'splosions and not a jot of character development.

:rolleyes:
Keith R.A. DeCandido
keith@decandido.net
www.DeCandido.net
kradical.livejournal.com

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."
---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

#25 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

My first thought after viewing was that this might be an episode I would use to hook new viewers. It's really a shame that the background on the Raxacoricofallapatorians and Captain Jack is in two parters, because 3 eps would make a good "conversion kit" totalling a bit over two hours.

I especially liked the energy, humor and intensity (similar to The Doctor Dances -- which didn't get enough credit for one-liners IMHO)

#26 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:25 PM

I think this is a decent episode with some great character development. But for me it never really goes beyond that. It does get better after multiple viewings though. Still, I would hardly call this one of the best episodes of the series and, for me anyway, it's actually one of the weakest episodes of the first season ("School Reunion" in season 2 definitely has this episode beat for the title of "worst of the new series"). That doesn't mean that the character development or character interactions aren't good and that doesn't mean I didn't like it because it lacked explosions or lots of action. I just found that the execution of the story wasn't quite up to par for this show. On the bright side, I loved Rose's outfit. :love: ;)
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#27 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:35 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on May 20 2006, 01:25 PM, said:

("School Reunion" in season 2 definitely has this episode beat for the title of "worst of the new series").

I think your opinion of School Reunion would change after you've seen some of Sarah's earlier adventures with the third and fourth Doctors. :cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#28 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:23 PM

View PostKRAD, on May 20 2006, 12:14 PM, said:

Right, it can't possibly be that people didn't like the episode, they simply have to be simpletons who want 'splosions and spectacle.

It's not about whether they liked it, it's about the assumption that it was merely "filler," i.e. an episode where little actually happens.  Maybe that's true on the level of big events and plot points, but it's anything but true on the level of character and ideas.  Indeed, the whole point of the episode was to look between the big events and explore the things that generally don't get explored.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#29 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:57 PM

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" is a well-known cultural reference, both as an old British legend (Springheel Jack) and a Rolling Stones song presumably named after the legend. So it's no surprise that it would show up in more than one place. I believe DWF explained that he was alluding to the line from the Stones song about "It's a gas, gas, gas," which has nothing to do with Capt. Harkness. So yes, coincidence.
I'm pretty sure that was the case I just noticed a strange connection

Oh, I think it's cool to hear those vintage sound FX getting new life.
Yeah you may be right, but hearing them I was thinking, "Are we chasing the Slitheen or hanging with the Sorceress at Castle Greyskull?"

-cs™

Edited by Smitty, 20 May 2006 - 09:00 PM.

#30 tallulah

tallulah
  • Islander
  • 574 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:31 PM

View PostNathrakh, on May 19 2006, 11:14 PM, said:

View Posttallulah, on May 20 2006, 12:06 AM, said:

I do have a question, though, for those in the know.  Are all the references to the big "Bad Wolf" leading somewhere?

Patience, grasshopper.  :) All shall be revealed in episode 13.

Squweee!!! (My apologies for the fangirl moment.)  I thought as much, but the Doctor's "coincidence speech" made me second guess my assumptions.  And I definitely feel like Grasshopper where "Dr. Who" is concerned.  I have never seen an episode of the original series, and know only a little about it.  It just didn't catch my fancy.  It wasn't until seeing the enthusiasm for the new series , here that piqued my interest.  And I have to admit it, it is torture not reading those new episode threads.  I want to, but I won't let myself!!!! :ninjadeath:

Overall, this episode seemed to go a little further than others not only in showing the personal relationships between the characters but in showing a little more insight into the characters.  How it can be seen as "filler" is a little beyond me....

T.
Three L's and an H.
--The Doctor

Dinner and bondage.  Works for me.
--Margaret, Dr. Who, though, really, it could be anyone

When nice girls learn to respect themselves, they'll always finish first.
--Marin, Men in Trees

#31 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

As a Whobie-Noobie, I hesitate to suggest this, because it would surely have been picked up by more experienced Whovians, but I have seen *other* background grafitti (typically entire sentences) in many episodes, and have wondered if they didn't all tie together. They were often quite prominent and legible, but didn't make sense to me (e.g.  on the wall outside the door after The Doctor opens the door for the empty child and finds him gone)

#32 tallulah

tallulah
  • Islander
  • 574 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:35 PM

Thank you, Orpheus!!  I haven't seen every episode because I was away for a bit, but I have caught a couple or so "grafitti moments" and wondered what their significance was.  I have no conjecture as to their link because I missed some episodes, though I do assume that if you caught them all you would see something.

I wonder what you saw..... :eek:

T.

PS  Have you trademarked Whobie-Noobie yet?  You should! :ninjadeath:
Three L's and an H.
--The Doctor

Dinner and bondage.  Works for me.
--Margaret, Dr. Who, though, really, it could be anyone

When nice girls learn to respect themselves, they'll always finish first.
--Marin, Men in Trees

#33 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:44 AM

View PostOrpheus, on May 20 2006, 11:48 PM, said:

As a Whobie-Noobie, I hesitate to suggest this, because it would surely have been picked up by more experienced Whovians, but I have seen *other* background grafitti (typically entire sentences) in many episodes, and have wondered if they didn't all tie together. They were often quite prominent and legible, but didn't make sense to me (e.g.  on the wall outside the door after The Doctor opens the door for the empty child and finds him gone)

No, that graffito had nothing to do with the "Bad Wolf" references that have been scattered throughout the season.  Here's a list from Wikipedia:

The End of the World: The Moxx of Balhoon mentions in a half-heard conversation to the Face of Boe the "classic Bad Wolf scenario."

The Unquiet Dead: When the clairvoyant Gwyneth reads Rose's mind, she says, "The things you've seen... the darkness.. the Big Bad Wolf!"

Aliens of London/World War Three: A young boy spray-paints the graffiti BAD WOLF on the side of the TARDIS.

Dalek: The call sign for Henry van Statten's private helicopter is "Bad Wolf One"

The Long Game: One of the several thousand television channels being broadcast from Satellite Five is BAD WOLFTV.

Father's Day: A poster advertising a rave in 1987 has the words "BAD WOLF" defacing it.

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances: The bomb that Captain Jack rides at the end of the story is labelled "SCHLECHTER WOLF", which is roughly "Bad Wolf" (or "Worse Wolf") in German.

Boom Town: A nuclear power plant is dubbed the Blaidd Drwg project, which is Welsh for "Bad Wolf". The Doctor also noticed for the first time that the phrase had been following them around.
http://en.wikipedia....s_in_Doctor_Who

The only ones of those I noticed on my own, without having to read about them on Wiki, were the ones in "Aliens/WWIII," "Dalek," "The Long Game," and of course "Boom Town."

The next episode, of course, is titled "Bad Wolf."  Unfortunately it's not going to be on this Friday due to a movie marathon, and will be postponed until June 2.

Edited by Christopher, 21 May 2006 - 08:44 AM.

Facebook Author Page

#34 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:06 PM

Oh, I understand that it's not related to the "Bad Wolf" theme. I simply thought that it was possible that the other graffiti might carry some independent meaning. I can't really comment unless/until I rewatch this season and make some key screen caps, but I was shoping someone else had noted these writings. if nothing else, it would help me target scenes

Oh, and the real reason I popped in: I was just chatting with a friend (who had some childhood familiarity with the older Whos), and she noted that "exterminating Raxacoricofallapatorians" [with vinegar] might belong on the short list of things that AREN'T "easier said than done"

Edited by Orpheus, 22 May 2006 - 07:07 PM.

#35 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:24 PM

View PostOrpheus, on May 22 2006, 08:06 PM, said:

Oh, I understand that it's not related to the "Bad Wolf" theme. I simply thought that it was possible that the other graffiti might carry some independent meaning. I can't really comment unless/until I rewatch this season and make some key screen caps, but I was shoping someone else had noted these writings. if nothing else, it would help me target scenes

You mean this one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ery/800/004.jpg

#36 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:15 PM

Well, that certainly intrigues me, but it's a bit abstract to *start* a theory with, no? I could see it as *supporting* evidence, later on.

I was thinking of more legible inscriptions, such as this That may be a poor example, because it is clearly explicable in the context of Blitz-era London, but it at least illustrates the clarity of the messages. Sadly, I failed to take notes on earlier examples this season.

#37 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:18 PM

Like I said in the subtitle I do think this is a pivotal ep. it ended some earlier threads and set up some things that'll be useful later on, it's the calm before the storm, the final two eps. will answer alot of questions, it's only too bad that people will have to wait another week to see the next one.

#38 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:54 PM

View PostDWF, on May 23 2006, 08:18 PM, said:

it's only too bad that people will have to wait another week to see the next one.

Memorial Day weekend, I suppose.  Well, have a good one folks.  The Doctor is out 'til June 2.

Edited by Nathrakh, 23 May 2006 - 08:55 PM.

#39 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

The ratings are in.  :(

http://www.gallifrey...lullFFlTvbOOlVI

Ratings for the tenth episode of the first season of the new series, Boom Town, on US television on the Sci Fi Channel, have come in: the telecast dropped a bit to a 1.03 with an average of 1.2 million viewers, down approximately 200,000 viewers from the previous week. Season-to-date, Sci Fi reports that Doctor Who is currently averaging a 1.28 household rating and an average audience of 1.5 million viewers for the season. The show will not air this Friday due to the US Memorial Day weekend holiday, but will return on Friday, June 2.

#40 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:16 AM

I do wonder how much of this is due to the fact that all the hardcore Dr. Who fans have already seen the series on download.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, Doctor Who: Series 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users