53 replies to this topic

#41 KRAD

KRAD

just smile and wave, boys -- smile and wave

• Demigod
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:14 AM

View PostGodeskian, on May 25 2006, 01:16 AM, said:

I do wonder how much of this is due to the fact that all the hardcore Dr. Who fans have already seen the series on download.

No, "all" of them haven't. In fact, most of them haven't. The number of people who download are an insignficant fraction of the actual marketplace.

In fact, despite DWF's doom-and-gloom, the numbers are pretty much commensurate with the show's American audience, which was never massive, and its presence on a second-tier cable network.
Keith R.A. DeCandido
keith@decandido.net
www.DeCandido.net
kradical.livejournal.com

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."
---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

#42 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:38 AM

Fair enough. Please consider my statements suitably amended

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#43 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,927 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:15 AM

Going back to the "filler" bit ... tho' I have only seen the first half of the series 1, I have noticed that Davies had chosen to focus a bit more on the dependents of the Companion (Rose's mother, and Mickie) and how his shenanigans would affect those left behind.  One might say it is a recurring theme.

And I believe this is what makes Davies' Doctor the most interesting of the series.  Prior to this you follow the Doctor and the Companions on their adventures, be it planet of the week, fighting monsters, fighting invasions, or what not, and they go their merry way.  Here, in Aliens In London we discover that Rose's little jaunt in the TARDIS actually had repurcussions, and there was some 'splainin' to do.

By the same token, I think the reason why Doctor Who was so successful for so very long, is that it *did* focus on the Doctor and his adventures.  And this is what many of the fans want to revel in, and to see the cost, to see the impact that his adventures have on others, and the fact that adventures do take their toll on relationships and whatnot, this is something that I believe many a fan would rather not consider.  Doctor Who, to them, is about escapism, and to bring this in serves to unexpectedly ground the series in realism that they may not be overly interested in.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#44 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:07 PM

View PostKRAD, on May 25 2006, 02:14 AM, said:

View PostGodeskian, on May 25 2006, 01:16 AM, said:

I do wonder how much of this is due to the fact that all the hardcore Dr. Who fans have already seen the series on download.

No, "all" of them haven't. In fact, most of them haven't. The number of people who download are an insignficant fraction of the actual marketplace.

In fact, despite DWF's doom-and-gloom, the numbers are pretty much commensurate with the show's American audience, which was never massive, and its presence on a second-tier cable network.

I don't knwo about that, I mean is there any way to calculate the number of Americans who watched Dr. Who on their PBS stations in the 70s and 80s?

Of course the CBC ratings are in fact lower than the Sci-Fi channel's ratings.  :eh:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#45 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

View PostG-man, on May 25 2006, 09:15 AM, said:

By the same token, I think the reason why Doctor Who was so successful for so very long, is that it *did* focus on the Doctor and his adventures.  And this is what many of the fans want to revel in, and to see the cost, to see the impact that his adventures have on others, and the fact that adventures do take their toll on relationships and whatnot, this is something that I believe many a fan would rather not consider.  Doctor Who, to them, is about escapism, and to bring this in serves to unexpectedly ground the series in realism that they may not be overly interested in.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

If the internet fans are any indictation by half way though the second season people are getting more than alittle tired of Rose and the focus is coming off of her a bit.

Edited by DWF, 25 May 2006 - 06:34 PM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#46 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,927 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

^^^ Hmmm ... is it that the focus is on Rose that the fans are getting tired of, or is it what they choose to focus about Rose that they are tiring of?

What little I heard (admittedly it was here where I heard it) was them being tired of Rose's "Daddy Issues".

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#47 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:30 PM

View PostG-man, on May 25 2006, 04:12 PM, said:

^^^ Hmmm ... is it that the focus is on Rose that the fans are getting tired of, or is it what they choose to focus about Rose that they are tiring of?

What little I heard (admittedly it was here where I heard it) was them being tired of Rose's "Daddy Issues".

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

I think a number of people are accusing her of whinning now and not being as forceful of a character that she was in the first season and the fact that Tennant's Doctor is somewhat different from Eccelston's is also making a difference, he's not quite as glommy and guilt ridden as Eccelston's Doctor was and there's been a slight difference in their relationship after School Reunion and first two parter.

Spoiler: click to show/hide
Meeting Sarah Jane and seeing her father in an alternate reality and the result of that two parter has had an affect on her and her relationship with the Doctor. In general Rose is adjusting to life with the Doctor in a rather easygoing manner.

PS
Spoiler: click to show/hide
Rose is something a pain in Tooth And Claw IMO, she simply refused to things too seriously and she kept trying to Queen Victoria to say "We are not amused" :lol:

Edited by DWF, 25 May 2006 - 03:52 PM.

#48 KRAD

KRAD

• Demigod
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:41 PM

View PostDWF, on May 25 2006, 04:09 PM, said:

If the internet fans are indictation

They probably aren't. They, in fact, almost never are. :)
Keith R.A. DeCandido
keith@decandido.net
www.DeCandido.net
kradical.livejournal.com

#49 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:59 PM

View PostKRAD, on May 25 2006, 05:41 PM, said:

View PostDWF, on May 25 2006, 04:09 PM, said:

If the internet fans are any indictation

They probably aren't. They, in fact, almost never are. :)

True.  :D

[Yoda]Conflicted and fractured the internet is.[/Yoda]  :D

#50 KRAD

KRAD

• Demigod
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:29 PM

View PostDWF, on May 25 2006, 06:59 PM, said:

[Yoda]Conflicted and fractured the internet is.[/Yoda]  :D

Also very small numerically.
Keith R.A. DeCandido
keith@decandido.net
www.DeCandido.net
kradical.livejournal.com

#51 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:35 PM

^^^One of the saving graces of the internet.  :D

Edited by DWF, 25 May 2006 - 08:37 PM.

#52 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:57 PM

Also very small numerically.

And often far more fanatical than the average viewer. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#53 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:24 PM

Aint that the truth.

Imagine if the internet was the way it is now back when Star Trek:TNG was still in its first 2 seasons!
The doom and gloom would have been overpowering.
It'll make the hue and cry about the Berman/Braga era, seem like a whisper.
Though Rick was there too!

-cs™

#54 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:31 PM

Additional:

This past Wednesday I finally bought the Beginning set. And watching brought back to me that then The Doctor had a habit of mispronouncing Ian Chesterton's last name.

Chesterfield, Charterhouse, Charlton etc.

Which I was aware of but it reminded me again with The Doctor always referring to Mickey as Ricky.

I wonder if that was done intentionally by RTD.

-cs™

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, Doctor Who: Series 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users