12 replies to this topic

#1 bishop37

bishop37
  • Islander
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:22 PM

Posted Image

Now that's more like it!

The Doctor and the gang infiltrate Cyberman Central and Mickey steps up to the plate.

Kudos to the sound FX guys for the sounds of the Cybermen marching and the guys in the suits themselves for marching in unison and making you forget they're, well, guys in suits!

There's a touching scene with a downed "Cyberman" that continues to enforce the human predicament/POV that's the strength of the series' run.

Noel Clark, like last week, is really good in this ep.

4/5
"In a distant galaxy, twelve planets bearing tribes of the race known as Man have been at war with an alien cyborg race, the Cylon Empire, for a millennium. In the measurements used by the Twelve Colonies it is the Yahren 7341, and a treaty of peace is to be signed - a treaty that proves to be a ruse for the largest assault in the history of galactic warfare. With their defending warships destroyed and their homeworld annihilated, the Twelve Tribes gather to their one remaining warship, a battlestar named the Galactica, boarding every assorted star vehicle that will carry them, as their leader, Commander Adama, seeks out the one planet that will protect Man from the predation of the Cylon Empire - a planet called Earth. As their journey proceeds this fugitive fleet is closely pursued by forces of the Cylon Empire under the command of human traitor Baltar."

#2 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:34 PM

I agree, this episode was *much* better than last week's.  Although, I still wouldn't call it my favorite of the season.

Spoiler: click to show/hide
It's a shame that Noel Clark has left the series, I was beginning to enjoy Mickey finally.  I hope we get to revisit the parallel world somehow again.  I somehow doubt that Lumic/Cyber Controller was destroyed by the fall.  I've read some spoilers that Cybermen will reappear later in the season . . . I wonder if these will be "our" universe's Cybermen that originated on another world or the parallel Earth Cybermen.

So far for this season, here's my ranking of the episodes I've seen:

1. Tooth & Claw
2. School Reunion
3. The Girl in the Fireplace
4. Age of Steel
5. Christmas Invasion
6. New Earth
7. Rise of the Cybermen

#3 Purple Haze

Purple Haze

SSBBS 2000 - 2006 EI

• Islander
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

The second part was every bit as good as the first.

It's too bad that Noel Clarke is gone from the series, the actor seemed good enough but the character Mickey was pretty much a waste of time.

#4 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:21 PM

You know Cyberman looks like it's in a BoOops not gonna say it!

I don't wanna annoy you-know-who. Haha Who!
Spoiler: click to show/hide
Christopher

-cs™

#5 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:22 PM

So no more Ricky/Mickey eh?

I'm sorry to hear that.

-cs™

#6 kdalton_69

kdalton_69
  • Islander
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:51 AM

So no more Ricky/Mickey eh?

:eek2:   :eek4:   :eek:  :eh:  :glare:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

NO NO NO NO!  I was just beginning to like him!

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:27 PM

Dissapointing. It  was the kind of emotional payoff that should have been end of season type of thing, or at the very least followed half a dozen episodes of Mickey getting more and more dissatisfied with being the tin dog.

Instead it was one episode after he jumped on board, he left.

The lack of buildup killed the payoff that it should have had.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#8 Shaun

Shaun
  • Islander
  • 788 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:20 PM

It was a big improvement over the first part, although it still didn't quite come together for me. There are too many dodgy plot contrivances - how come there's a  compatible slot in the control panel just right for a mobile phone. Why was there an override code for the emotion chip etc...

But it stomped along quite enjoyably.

You know if Micky had undergone the Cyberconversion process he'd have become...

Metal Micky.

<gd&rlh>
Shaun
Veni, vidi, vici

#9 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:48 PM

Fantastic! :cool:

It was kind of a letdown when, after Rose finally revealed to Parallel Pete that she's his daughter (sort of), that he didn't at least hug her.

Edited by Nathrakh, 22 May 2006 - 11:50 PM.

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:09 AM

View PostNathrakh, on May 23 2006, 05:48 AM, said:

It was kind of a letdown when, after Rose finally revealed to Parallel Pete that she's his daughter (sort of), that he didn't at least hug her.

Actually, I liked that. Here you have a guy whose just lost his wife, and suddenly this strange woman is claiming to be his daughter and looking for some sort of validation? I'd be running too if that happened to me.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#11 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

I got to see both of the Cybermen stories in a group showing this Sunday and while I couldn'd hear all of the dialogue mainly at the start I did enjoy this story overall, the marching Cybermen were great, Mrs Moore's death and Jackie's transformation were both tragic, the Doctor's message and the way he got it to Mickey was priceless and full of the manic energy that Tennant's Doctor seems to be full of now in special moments and Mickey rescue with the zepplin was incredible.

Overall I loved the reimaging of the Cybermen and the storyline it was fantastic. :cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#12 ChicaFrom3

ChicaFrom3

saner than an emu on acid

• Islander
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:29 PM

View PostNathrakh, on May 23 2006, 12:48 AM, said:

Fantastic! :cool:

I loved that. In fact, it's the only thing that redeemed the whole Pete storyline for me.

But I want to give Mickey many hugs. I'm very proud of him. He's come a long way since Rose.
God Save and God Bless!
ChicaFrom3 - corrupting the world, one ex-stoner at a time.
Doing STRANGE THINGS in the Name of Art, and STRANGER THINGS in the Name of CHOCOLATE.
visit member profile for keeper titles

#13 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:21 AM

Yet another great episode. :cool:
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, Doctor Who: Series 2

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users