• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:55 AM

I've been wanting to do this review for some time but I just wasn't able to turn the game off!  :blush:

Anyway, i'm going to split this into some parts to try to give you the whole story. But right off the bat this game is on two formats, the PC and the XBOX 360. I don't own a XBOX so guess which one I'm reviewing? ;)

The storyline and stuff will be the same but I will be touching on Plug-Ins and I just found out this morning that the XBOX version can not be altered this way, so XBOX players beware!

1) Technical Issues

This is a next generation game and the graphical demands are enormous so if you computer is not as new as it once was you may have to update your graphics card to get the best display possible, or in my case play the game at all!  :crazy:

The good news is the game rewards you for this by giving you a stunning world to play in. It has been a long, LONG time since a game really FLOORED me with graphics alone. Oblivion does it. We are really gettign used to great graphics but this goes above and beyond. When you climb a mountain ridge in the game and watch a sunrise just because, THAT is saying a lot about where we are in virtual reality creation today.

Other then that, I have only noticed a small crash bug. Just starting out setting up my plugins and doing a lot of quiting and loading of the game with out restarting my computer the game does leak memory and the graphics will sometimes corrupt and kill the game (and sometimes crash windows with it!) So, everytime you quit the game restart your PC also.

2) The Elder Scrolls

Oblivion is the fourth game in TES series. I have played all of them including the combat game Battlespire. I love the series focus on roleplaying, player freedom and word building. I only have had problems with the third game Morrowind due to some unfortunete art decisions (I thought everything was downright ugly :p ).

So lets get down to it!

3) The Game : Production

I already mentioned the game's lush visuals and graphic details. Gone is Morrowind's rough lean look. All have been replaced by a gorgreous color pallete. The characters, yours and the NPC's are all vivid, colorful and downright stylish.

Everthing looks like it should but have been exagerated with lush fantasy-art flair. When the stars come you see galaxys, when the moon comes out it is massive, guards clank like tanks and mages crackle with energy.

For you gaming nerds like me out there, think of your favorite D&D painting from your Dungeon Masters guide. If you are old school think of those old Conan or Red Sonja paintings for where they are going.

I mentioned the sound above but let me add that the game sounds like a movie. The games's opening theme lets you now what you are in for. When Patrick Stewert's voice shows up in the beginning you know that some serious cash was placed on the line and it is all up there on the screen. When you have your first sword fight and hear the clank of metal on metal you will know what I mean.

Only gripe is sometimes the male and femal voices get a little messed up and your chaarcter suddenly changes genders and well.....it's a little weird when my pixie wood elf grunts like Arnold Swazzeneger!  :eek4:

4) Gameplay

Games need more then production, as hard as that less has been for the industry to learn sometimes ( :p) they have to be FUN. And truth be told I was worried that this game was going to be a joint game console/PC port. What is fun on a game machine is not so fun on a PC.

Happily, there are no major worries here. I can save when I want to and there are no save points or check points in sight. Repatative gameplay is kept down to a bare minimum.

However there is one annoying console holdover : The toolbar. Instead of dragging things down to a hotkey bar you have a circle that you can only see inside one menu forcing the player to try to remember what spell, potion or whatever was placed on the hotkey menu. Worse, you still have to hit "C" if it's a spell! I'm positive that this was a gamepad holdover but on the PC it just doesn't work as well as it should. It's a distraction but not a major one.

Quests are broken into bite sized chunks and the journal alwasy lets you know where you need to be. Fast Travel continues to be a blessing in TES. But if you have a horse it is sometimes more fun to just ride there. You never know what cave, dungeon or camp you will find out there (and when you do you can Fast Travel there later!).

The game rewards you no matter how long you play. You can spend hours with it but you can also have fun if you just have a half hour before your wife drags you away to torture you with HGTV. :p

You can't name your game but all slots have a info bar telling you which character it is and game time and level.

All NPC's have voices, although sometimes you here the same voice coming out of two different NPC's and not all the voice talant tried to do different accents so it can be a little weird.  :ninja:

Scripted events happen all over the place. NPC's have a daily schedule, they stop and greet each other and have conversations. Quests sometimes force them to change tehjir routine. For example there is a quest wheer you find the heir to the throne and the NOC's get into formation and salute the pronce who gives a speech, this is NOT doen through a cut scene it is all done IN ENGINE and it is very cool to see.

At another point I'm about to enter a portal to Oblivion (think hell) and as you approach the portal the wind picks up, the sky turns red and the music gets very ominious. It is just all so very cool.

5) The Criminal Element

My main character is a Agent, which is a nice way of saying she is gentle woman thief who uses her feminie wiles to steal your treasures right out from under your nose and you thank her for it. ;)

Defenetly not your usual fantasy game class and Bethesda almost gets away with it but there is one problem : The Psychic Guard Syndrome.

Here is a example : Some rare very valuable jewlrey just happens to fall into my character's inventory. Nobody saw this happen, i did not break into the castle, i was invited on a investigation. I even chatted with the Duchess on the way out. I stroll out of the castle and I'm on my way out of town when a guard runs over and accusses me of theft and no matter how good you are when you get caught by a giard they find everything. Always.

Not cool. And this is my biggest problem with the game. Things do get a little better when you join the Thief's Guild. You can get your bounty lowered (think Grand Theft Auto) but it is more of a band aide then a fix.

I hope a mod of some sort comes out for this. I *don't* want a God-Mode free ride but I do want realistic law enforment.

6) The joys of Plug-Ins!

This is where Oblivion really shines and even though it is a single player game this makes it more of a community as you can pick and choose what parts of the game you want to change.

Even better, it's EASY. Everytime you load the game you can access your control panel and turn on and off the plug-ins you want.

So far I have changed the armor's in the game to refect the gender of the character wearing them. I have added some special armors for my Agent, including some special female sneak thief armor. (Nothing naughty, just sexy, although if you want naughty, ya, THOSE plug-ins are out there to! ;) ) And even though I had some technical issues with it, Rhea and I got Anya (my character) some nice tatoos.

Plug-ins can do almost everything from chanaging armors to adding new areas and I even saw one that puts the Death Star in the night sky. :D

7) Conclusion

In conclusion, if you are in the market from some nice single player sword and sorcery, in short :

Buy This Game.

The game itself is a classic right out of the box but the plug-in system makes it endlessly customizable!

enTranced
Posted Image

#2 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

I've got a couple questions, do you need to have played the previous games to understand this one? Also how graphics intense is this? I really want to play Oblivion on my laptop. Do you need a Geforce 7 series card or Ati equivalent to play?

Edited by Shadowfire, 24 May 2006 - 12:49 PM.

PROUD STUDENT OF SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNVERSITY

View PostRobL, on Jul 20 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Every time I see a political thread I fondle myself just a little bit.............

'I honestly cannot justify that. You see, advertising isn't an art. Appealing to the English? Use someone from Hollyoaks and diss United. Scots? Talk about how evil Thatcher was. SNP is awesome etc. Americans? Well they be thick as sh*t so short sentences and shiny things and some Jesus helps too.. French and Germans? Talk about the war. Irish? f*ck that we can't sell sh*t in Ireland. That's frankly how it all works. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm happy you're dumping all this cash into advertising... I honestly don't see what you want me to do with it.  And also, that blip in the records in June was me buying monitors.-- never ask me to be 'brutally honest' about a budget.

You of course realise that anything you post here is comprised of ASCII characters? Each character is 7 bits with a parity bit making 8... I guess that's fairly meaningless to you which is actually the point. At most your sentence is a few kilobytes and considering I'm doing a file transfer of over a billion bytes right now those bytes making up your words are invisible with their insignificance, which is exact what I think of your post. Insignificant.

#3 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

View PostShadowfire, on May 24 2006, 05:44 PM, said:

I've got a couple questions, do you need to have played the previous games to understand this one? Also how graphics intense is this? I really want to play Oblivion on my laptop. Do you need a Geforce 7 series card or Ati equivalent to play?

In order :

1) Aside from a few asides by some of the NPC's, especialy in the main quest the previous games are not mentioned at all. One of the big baddies IS from Morrowind but you don't really need to know that and in fact are "reminded" of this in a conversation. So I would say no, and most of the TES games are in different regions of Tamerial, the TES world anyway.

2) Quick answer is VERY intensive. I was not able to run the game AT ALL with a GeForce 5200 FX. I had to upgrade to a NVIDIA 7800 GS, my autodetect went from Poor to Optimal so I was very happy after upgrading. ;)

The game is supposed to be able to run with a 6th Genration NVIDIA card and you will have to check the offical site for ATI Card compatability. Do NOT trust the box copy though!!!! The box said my card would work and it was horribly wrong! The list on the site is the way to go. They have the updated list pinned in the offical forum.

3) I'm not sure if you can play Oblivion on your laptop, Again I would check the offical site for the currant requirments. I can't stress just how demanding this program is!  :ninja:

Good luck!

enTranced
Posted Image

#4 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:18 PM

Great review, enTranced! I'm surprised you found a large enough block of time away from the game to write it. ;)

I have played the game for over 70 hours and I've never run into some of the problems you've run into. But, running fan-made plug-ins may introduce additional bugs.

Also, I'm really glad Bethesda got the stupid and inaccurate "nudity" label removed their ESRB rating. The game has sexual themes but it certainly doesn't have nudity. :blink:

View PostShadowfire, on May 24 2006, 01:44 PM, said:

Hopefully enTranced won't mind if I answer you. ;)

1) No, you don't need to have played the previous games to understand this one. Every game in the series is a standalone game that takes place in a different province of the overall game world, Tamriel. They do make references to the other provinces of Tamriel (Morrowind, High Rock, Hammerfell, Summerset Isle, etc.), some of which have been the setting in previous games, but they are mostly there for world building and as Easter eggs for fans of the other games. They aren't vital to understanding Oblivion.

2) VERY graphics intensive. It's also extremely dependent on CPU speed due to a fairly detailed physics engine, dynamic NPC AI, and lots of other CPU-intensive features. From the official Oblivion FAQ:

Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * 1 GB System RAM
    * ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows XP 64-bit
    * 512MB System RAM
    * 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
    * and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
    * 8x DVD-ROM drive
    * 4.6 GB free hard disk space
    * DirectX 9.0c (included)
    * DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
    * Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

* ATI X1900 series
    * ATI X1800 series
    * ATI X1600 series
    * ATI X1300 series
    * ATI X850 series
    * ATI x800 series
    * ATI x700 series
    * ATI x600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9800 series
    * ATI Radeon 9700 series
    * ATI Radeon 9600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9500 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce FX series

Here are some screenshots to give you an idea what it looks like:
http://www.elderscro..._screens_01.htm

I currently have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with 2 GB of RAM and a Sapphire Radeon X1800XT with 512 MB of video RAM and I am unable to put everything on maximum detail. It should also be noted that I'm playing the game in Windows XP x64 Edition so it's actually running a bit slower than it would in a 32-bit OS, since it has to emulate a 32-bit environment. I get 30 to 70 frames per second on average when set to an "Ultra High" graphics setting but even that doesn't put everything on maximum detail (outdoor shadows are almost completely turned off, self-shadows are off, etc.). I can enable a few additional options the game doesn't enable by default but adding any additional filtering or shadows kills the framerate. Trying to run this game on anything less than a 2.5 GHz CPU with 1 GB of RAM and Radeon 9800 Pro will most likely be a very frustrating experience.

To get the most out of the game, you will need a system that matches or exceeds their recommended requirements. Based on first hand experience with the game though, I'd say that their recommend requirements are for playing the game on a medium detail setting in 800x600 or 1024x768 (if you have a fast video card). This game was designed with next generation video cards and processors in mind (even though it doesn't currently make use of Shader Model 3.0 :wacko: ), so you may have a lot of trouble playing Oblivion on a laptop. :(

ETA: Awww...enTranced be me to it. ;)

Edited by NeuralClone, 24 May 2006 - 01:21 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#5 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:34 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on May 24 2006, 06:18 PM, said:

Also, I'm really glad Bethesda got the stupid and inaccurate "nudity" label removed their ESRB rating. The game has sexual themes but it certainly doesn't have nudity. :blink:

LOL!

I just saw on the news this morning that they have been asked to put the nudity label BACK IN thanks to those plug-ins I hinted at in my review! :D

Which is of course ridiculous when you think about it! Bethesda's game does not have any nudity. It is a fan made plug in that does! If this is the way we run things EDOS should have had to make Tomb Raider a M game because of the infamous Nude Raider patch! :p

And then they ran the usual belly aching parants rant about the cruel video game industry and how they have to actualy make time to raise their chldren now segment. :rolleyes:

Thanks for reprinting the FAQ NC! I would have but I can't get to a game site at work.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 24 May 2006 - 02:40 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:34 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on May 24 2006, 07:18 PM, said:

1) No, you don't need to have played the previous games to understand this one. Every game in the series is a standalone game that takes place in a different province of the overall game world, Tamriel. They do make references to the other provinces of Tamriel (Morrowind, High Rock, Hammerfell, Summerset Isle, etc.), some of which have been the setting in previous games, but they are mostly there for world building and as Easter eggs for fans of the other games. They aren't vital to understanding Oblivion.

Thanks, I hate it when I want to play a game but have to play it's predecessors first to know whats going on.

View PostNeuralClone, on May 24 2006, 07:18 PM, said:

2) VERY graphics intensive. It's also extremely dependent on CPU speed due to a fairly detailed physics engine, dynamic NPC AI, and lots of other CPU-intensive features. From the official Oblivion FAQ:

<snip>

Here are some screenshots to give you an idea what it looks like:
http://www.elderscro..._screens_01.htm

:eek4:  Yikes that's worse than X3: Reunion!

My systems specs are; 7900GTX 512mb x2 in SLi, 2GB RAM, Athlon64 X2 4400+ (OC'ed to 2.5Ghz) and from your description and those screenshot, I'll admit I doubt my desktop's ability to run Oblivion well (and that's saying a lot). I think I'll have to think about this a bit more before I get Oblivion.

Edited by Shadowfire, 24 May 2006 - 01:35 PM.

Every time I see a political thread I fondle myself just a little bit.............

'I honestly cannot justify that. You see, advertising isn't an art. Appealing to the English? Use someone from Hollyoaks and diss United. Scots? Talk about how evil Thatcher was. SNP is awesome etc. Americans? Well they be thick as sh*t so short sentences and shiny things and some Jesus helps too.. French and Germans? Talk about the war. Irish? f*ck that we can't sell sh*t in Ireland. That's frankly how it all works. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm happy you're dumping all this cash into advertising... I honestly don't see what you want me to do with it.  And also, that blip in the records in June was me buying monitors.-- never ask me to be 'brutally honest' about a budget.

You of course realise that anything you post here is comprised of ASCII characters? Each character is 7 bits with a parity bit making 8... I guess that's fairly meaningless to you which is actually the point. At most your sentence is a few kilobytes and considering I'm doing a file transfer of over a billion bytes right now those bytes making up your words are invisible with their insignificance, which is exact what I think of your post. Insignificant.

#7 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:51 PM

^ You might be able to run it if you upgrade your graphics card but i'm concerned about your processor, it might be a little slow for the game. But I think with your RAM and a faster graphics card you will be able to run the game fine.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 24 May 2006 - 02:37 PM.

Posted Image

#8 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:36 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention an amusing exchange I had with an NPC the other day. I recently became a vampire (how cool is that?!) so I'm now an undead character. The longer you go without feeding, the stronger you get and the more abilities you gain. Also, when you get closer to becoming a full vampire, people start reacting to your deteriorating appearance (e.g., "Have you been sick recently? You aren't looking all that well..."). Anyway, I had to help a woman do something (I forget what it was) so her approval rating of me went way up. I used my Mad Speechcraft Skillz ™ and got her approval rating close to 100. When I talked to her again, she asked me something along the lines of, "So, um, what do you think the laws are about necrophilia?" When I asked her what she meant, she replied, "Oh, um...er...nevermind." :lol:

View PostenTranced, on May 24 2006, 02:34 PM, said:

LOL!

I just saw on the news this morning that they ahve been asked to put the nudity label BACK IN thanks to those plug-ins I hinted at in my review! :D

Which is of course ridiculous when you think about it! Bethesda's game does not ahve any nudity. It is a fan made plug in that does! If this is the way we run things EDOS should have had to make Tomb Raider a M game because of the infamous Nude Raider patch! :p

And then they ran the usual belly aching parants rant about the cruel video game industry and how they have to actualy make time to raise their chldren now segment. :rolleyes:

Thanks for reprinting the FAQ NC! I would have but I can't get to a game site at work.
Argh. Reports like that always make me nauseous. If they are going to start rating games based on content that fans can add, then they will have to start rating every game "Adults Only" since technically anyone can add pornographic material to just about any game if they really had the motivation to do so. Afterall, Video Games Are Evil ™! :rolleyes:

Also, no problem. :)

View PostShadowfire, on May 24 2006, 02:34 PM, said:

Thanks, I hate it when I want to play a game but have to play it's predecessors first to know whats going on.
No problem. :) If you're interested in the other games in the series, I highly recommend them. None of them come close to the greatness of Oblivion (on any level), but they are still a lot of fun. I recommend The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. It's been far too long since I've played Arena so I can't remember if it's any good. Morrowind has a really weak combat system and the NPCs don't really go about a daily routine. Most of the game takes place outside and the dungeons are kind of disappointing (unlike the dungeons in Oblivion). But it's still a fun game. Daggerfall is just plain HUGE and I remember it being mostly a dungeon crawl. IIRC, the combat system was far better than the one found in Morrowind but it's been a while since I've played it.

My systems specs are; 7900GTX 512mb x2 in SLi, 2GB RAM, Athlon64 X2 4400+ (OC'ed to 2.5Ghz) and from your description and those screenshot, I'll admit I doubt my desktop's ability to run Oblivion well (and that's saying a lot). I think I'll have to think about this a bit more before I get Oblivion.
Hmmm...I think you have more than enough to run this game on Ultra High detail and get framerates very close to or higher than the framerates I get. The GeForce 7900GTX is about equivalent to the Radeon X1900XTX (which is faster than my card) and your processor more than exceeds the recommended requirements, unless you're only counting one of your cores. The Athlon 64 X2 is a dual-core processor, which means you have two 2.2 GHz 64-bit cores running in parallel.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you've overclocked them to 2.5 GHz, which means your CPU is running at about 5 Ghz. In games that haven't been designed to take advantage of dual-core CPUs, your overall speed will be slightly less than the rated speed. As long as you have the AMD multi-core driver installed, you should be more than fine. In fact, you'll probably get better framerates than me since it sounds like you have two 512 MB cards. :eek: My only concern is that I'm not sure what kind of SLI/Crossfire support Oblivion has. You may want to check out the Oblivion forums to get a better feel for that before getting the game.

#9 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

Arena has the best magic of the TES series. My character could blow apart dungeon walls and blast her way to the bottom of the dungeon *THROUGH THE FLOOR!* and then fly her way back up the holes and be on her way.

Daggerfall needed MASSIVE patching when it came out but when it was working it was a wonderful game. The magic wasn;t as strong, no more hole punching in it but it made up for it with all the fun clothes to play with.

Morrwind I didn;t play with that much. I like my games to be sexy looking and Morrwind was lacking in that regard. I just didn't like the art style at all. (It was a personal thing).

enTranced
Posted Image

#10 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:18 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on May 24 2006, 08:36 PM, said:

Hmmm...I think you have more than enough to run this game on Ultra High detail and get framerates very close to or higher than the framerates I get. The GeForce 7900GTX is about equivalent to the Radeon X1900XTX (which is faster than my card) and your processor more than exceeds the recommended requirements, unless you're only counting one of your cores. The Athlon 64 X2 is a dual-core processor, which means you have two 2.2 GHz 64-bit cores running in parallel.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you've overclocked them to 2.5 GHz, which means your CPU is running at about 5 Ghz. In games that haven't been designed to take advantage of dual-core CPUs, your overall speed will be slightly less than the rated speed. As long as you have the AMD multi-core driver installed, you should be more than fine. In fact, you'll probably get better framerates than me since it sounds like you have two 512 MB cards. :eek: My only concern is that I'm not sure what kind of SLI/Crossfire support Oblivion has. You may want to check out the Oblivion forums to get a better feel for that before getting the game.

I'm not entirely sure the overclock is stable. I can't get my computer to last more than 30 minutes with Prime95 but otherwise it seems fine, except Sapien won't run anymore (it's a mapping tool for Halo: Custom Edition) and neither will UT2004.

As far as I understand, a game doesn't need to support SLi (although it can be optimised for it), it's the settings in Forceware that need to support the game. I had to create profile for Tomb raider: Legend so SLi would be used, I think it's .exe specific (I don't pretend to understand how SLi works, I know the screen is split horizontally between the GPU's but how that it done, I have no idea).

I there a demo of Oblivion I can try, before I buy the game?

Edited by Shadowfire, 24 May 2006 - 03:18 PM.

#11 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:49 PM

I concur. You have more memory and a faster processor than my computer which runs the game on Ultra High settings and looks beautiful.

I admit to my shame that I haven't played this game much but that's because I was busy trying to complete another one. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#12 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

View PostShadowfire, on May 24 2006, 04:18 PM, said:

I'm not entirely sure the overclock is stable. I can't get my computer to last more than 30 minutes with Prime95 but otherwise it seems fine, except Sapien won't run anymore (it's a mapping tool for Halo: Custom Edition) and neither will UT2004.
Yikes! If I were you I would lower your clock speed immediately. That definitely doesn't sound stable to me. What is your CPU's average temperature while idle and what is it while under load?

As far as I understand, a game doesn't need to support SLi (although it can be optimised for it), it's the settings in Forceware that need to support the game. I had to create profile for Tomb raider: Legend so SLi would be used, I think it's .exe specific (I don't pretend to understand how SLi works, I know the screen is split horizontally between the GPU's but how that it done, I have no idea).
The game doesn't need to support SLI but some games have been known to have problems with SLI and/or Crossfire configurations. I think you'll be okay with Oblivion but like I said before I would check out the forums to see if anyone is having problems with SLI and see if there are any workarounds/fixes.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/

If you're interested you can read more about how SLI works here:
http://en.wikipedia...._Link_Interface

And here's information on ATI's Crossfire technology:
http://en.wikipedia....Crossfire_(GPU)

Unfortunately, there isn't. If you plan on getting it, I recommend getting it over at GoGamer.com. They'll selling it for $34.90.

Edited by NeuralClone, 24 May 2006 - 04:18 PM.

#13 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:36 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on May 24 2006, 10:15 PM, said:

Yikes! If I were you I would lower your clock speed immediately. That definitely doesn't sound stable to me. What is your CPU's average temperature while idle and what is it while under load?

Average temps idle are 33 to 37 (it's 38 right now, but I've spent 45 minutes playing Tomb Raider). Temps under load are usually 42 to 46 (occasionally 48). Highest I've ever seen was 52 and that was while playing Starship Troopers and burning a CD.

The game doesn't need to support SLI but some games have been known to have problems with SLI and/or Crossfire configurations. I think you'll be okay with Oblivion but like I said before I would check out the forums to see if anyone is having problems with SLI and see if there are any workarounds/fixes.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/

If you're interested you can read more about how SLI works here:
http://en.wikipedia...._Link_Interface

And here's information on ATI's Crossfire technology:
http://en.wikipedia....Crossfire_(GPU)

Unfortunately, there isn't. If you plan on getting it, I recommend getting it over at GoGamer.com. They'll selling it for $34.90.

Thanks, I'll check out the forums. SLi is exactly what I thougth it to be, an evolution on 3DFX's SLi (scan line interleave). I didn't actually know Crossfire worked, I thought it was still in the labs, not on the open market. I really must check out a Crossfire system and see how it compares to SLi. The lack of demo sucks :(

#14 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:24 PM

View PostShadowfire, on May 24 2006, 06:36 PM, said:

Average temps idle are 33 to 37 (it's 38 right now, but I've spent 45 minutes playing Tomb Raider). Temps under load are usually 42 to 46 (occasionally 48). Highest I've ever seen was 52 and that was while playing Starship Troopers and burning a CD.
Hmm...on second thought, that's pretty stable and safe temperature-wise. Perhaps there's something else wrong with your system? :unsure: You still may want to try dialing back the clock speed to see if that increases stability.

#15 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:56 AM

What eT said.

You don't have to have played any of the other games to play this one, although if you want to, I'd say try Morrowind, which is most like Oblivion.

I have yet to tackle the main story line, mostly because I'm enjoying wandering and building up my character, but also because I'm a mod junkie, and I often restart from scratch because I'm farting around. :p

I got about two years of enjoyment out of Morrowind.  :eek:

There are literally thousands of user-designed mods, most very playable, some brilliant (and a couple of the best amateur modders from Morrowind are working at Bethesda now).

Basically, you can play Morrowind or Oblivion many, many times. My favorite mod from Morrowind was this insanely detailed, incredibly good-looking armor that a guy named Jeremy designed. He did one unique set of armor for each god of Tamriel (that would be seven or nine, can't remember which). Each suit of armor was gained by a short quest, and they definitely weren't token quests either.

If you take Oblivion and add mods (and I guarantee you there will be some really good quests/dungeons coming down the road soon), you can play for hundreds of hours and never run out of new things to do.

Edited by Rhea, 01 June 2006 - 01:01 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#16 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:47 PM

Just started playing this (for real). I'm surprised at how few quests there are in the main city. I've pretty much explored the whole thing and only gotten about six.

That being said, watching people walk around the city on their daily routine fascinates me. Too bad they pretty much all say the same things. A bit unrealistic and I don't see why they bothered to record all that voice acting for the same lines over and over again...

Very pretty game. One of these days, I'll leave the city. ;)

#17 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:15 PM

View PostJosh, on Jun 1 2006, 03:47 PM, said:

Just started playing this (for real). I'm surprised at how few quests there are in the main city. I've pretty much explored the whole thing and only gotten about six.
You REALLY need to leave the city. ;) I've found that you get most of the quests from the smaller towns. Also, many quests don't open up until you're a certain level or until after you've completed previous quests. Visit taverns, inns, join the Mage's Guild, the Fighter's Guild, the Thieves Guild, and  explore as much as you can out in the wilderness. I guarantee that within no time you'll have more than enough quests to keep you busy. And if that's not enough, there are tons of dungeons to explore (which give better loot if you're a higher level).

That being said, watching people walk around the city on their daily routine fascinates me. Too bad they pretty much all say the same things. A bit unrealistic and I don't see why they bothered to record all that voice acting for the same lines over and over again...
Yeah but think about many NPCs there actually are in the entire game world. It would be even more unrealistic to have a completely different voice for every single character. So naturally they'd have to recycle some of dialogue. Characters will also say different things based on your speechcraft skill, your race, your class, whether you're a vampire, the region you're in, your fame, and a bunch of other factors.

Very pretty game. One of these days, I'll leave the city. ;)
Yes, leave the city! :p The city is fun to walk around in but you're missing out on a lot of stuff by staying there: shrine quests (when you're a higher level), caves, ruins, forts, the closing of Oblivion gates, etc. Just remember that you can always return to the city if the wilderness becomes too overwhelming. ;) Always be sure to check all the merchants whenever you raise a few levels too. The stuff they sell is based on your level.

#18 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:03 AM

What Clone said! :D

Plus outside just looks sooooo gooooood!  :inlove:

My single best game graphic moment was sitting on my horse on a mountain ridge over looking the lake near Chorral during sunset with the light reflecting off the water and my characters armor and I just stopped and drooled. It was just THAT good.

Also, I have to give a shot out to the AI design. It is very easy to make unrelenting all knowing bad guys but it is something else entirely to craete a game where the bad guys make very human mistakes, far from making it to easy, this makes the game seem even more real to me.

Favorite moment :

Anya the wood elf is a agent and loves to sneak. She is a journyman and so is pretty damn good for her level. While sneaking in a bandit cave she came across a guard. Quickly putting out her torch she snuck up on him and whacked him with her enchanted longsword doing critical damage + Sword + Fire from the enchantment almost killing him. The hapless guard threw down his weapon screamed and ran into a dark passage way and HIT HIS OWN DEADFALL TRAP!  :devil:

It's the little things! :D

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 02 June 2006 - 10:28 AM.

Posted Image

#19 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:17 AM

My character is still at level 1. Needless to say, he has trouble when the guards decide to arrest him for random things such as breaking into a house for quest purposes. He likes to resist arrest... and then reload promptly. ;)

#20 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:29 AM

View PostJosh, on Jun 2 2006, 03:17 PM, said:

My character is still at level 1. Needless to say, he has trouble when the guards decide to arrest him for random things such as breaking into a house for quest purposes. He likes to resist arrest... and then reload promptly. ;)

Ya, this happened to me as well. Two words : Thieves's Guild!

They will help you with all the "misunderstandings" between you and the guards. :devil:

enTranced  :devil:

Edited by enTranced, 02 June 2006 - 10:31 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users