The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:30 PM

I agree Rov, although I'm still playing until I've completed all of the major quests. The game loses its appeal after a while, but I assume most RPGs are like that. Anyone know if MMORPGs like WoW and Eve-online suffer from the same problems Rov described?
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#142 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:12 PM

You should have tried the main quest, Rov. It's actually pretty good. ;)

But I agree. The game gets boring and repetitive after a while.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#143 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:31 AM

View PostHawkeye, on Sep 4 2006, 01:33 PM, said:

You can steal a house? Wouldn't it be kinda easy for them to catch you? :lol:

edited: Hmmm i tried Entranced's cat girl mod and its not working properly :Oo: The elf dude in the dungeons that usually insults you before Septimus turns up....doesnt insult you. and septimus doesnt turn up.

You need the ehanced race package. It allows you to play as one of the mod races without any problem. There should be a link to it at TES Source. Basicaly it cuts out the insult and allows the game to go forward.

enTranced
Posted Image

#144 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:32 AM

View PostJosh, on Sep 5 2006, 03:12 AM, said:

You should have tried the main quest, Rov. It's actually pretty good. ;)

But I agree. The game gets boring and repetitive after a while.

I'm taking a break myself to play Darkstar One but I plan to get back to the game when I'm done.

enTranced
Posted Image

#145 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:42 PM

D'oh. While liberating Kvatch, i accidentally killed a soldier, so I got a 2000 gold bounty and had to do time in jail. Bleh. I'm also running around trying to find people to train me before i level up. And trying to find the money to pay for it!

Hows Darkstar one going for you eT?
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#146 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

View PostHawkeye, on Sep 5 2006, 07:42 PM, said:

Hows Darkstar one going for you eT?

I'm LOVING it! I'm at the point in the story where you visit the research stations and I'm on the last one of those. I just blew up the underground armory which was a vicious cruel and nasty mission : I LOVED it. It reminded me of the best levels of Descent with it's 360 degree maze.

Eona is a lot of fun, and I have to track down EVERY artifact since the DS1 is looking SWEET. I just grew my third engine! :D

I WILL do a review but I don't want to be spoiled since the story is the best part of DS1 (not something that every game can say!).

enTranced
Posted Image

#147 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:41 PM

As is his way, enTranced mentioned Oblivion during my Superman Returns thread.

I put this away ,telling myself I might pick it back up.

That... hasn't happened. I think about it sometimes, but then I remember why I left:

-- It's very difficult to maintain suspension of disbelief. Your character starts off as nearly unable to adequately defend himself from sewer rats (literally). Within a few months of gametime, you're nearly godlike and invincible. My character easily became the leader of the thieve's guild, fighter's guild, mage's guild, the assassin's guild, etc.
-- The heart of the game is combat. Every so-called 'quest' ends up with fighting some damn critter or another. Compare that to GTA, Saints Row, or most other 'Sandbox' games. For the most part, they avoided the 'FedEx Quests', but they have lots of 'FedEx with an obligatory battle' quests instead. Not a huge improvement.
-- There's not much strategy to combat. My character was essentially invulnerable, because he had a custom spell that both caused him to be invisible and restored hitpoints. When mana ran low, he simply cast an invisibility spell and waited for it to regenerate. Since mana regenerates faster than the cost per second of invisibility, he  can stay invisible until he charges all the way back up. While the game has anti-invisibility spells, I've yet to see an antagonist use them.
-- The harder difficulty has too much automation, and not enough common sense. It took dozens of hits for my god-like character to kill an elderly innkeeper. That's just silly.
-- Everything is so *generic*. The game gradually devolves into fighting the same critters in dungeons that all start to look the same.
-- The open world is impressive, but it's basically desolate. The capitol city is supposed to be the nerve center of a huge empire, but it's seemingly populated by roughly a hundred people. The outlying cities are even worse; the 'prince' of one city has roughly two dozen subjects. The cities in the middle of nowhere have three buildings with no obvious food or water source.
-- There's no *real* hook for your character into the story. The only justification for your participation is that the king saw you in a dream. Compare this to Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment.

The game makes an exceptionally good first impression, but I didn't find much beneath the surface. I'm still tempted to pull out the Baldur's Gate CDs, but Oblivion doesn't hold much for me. I probably won't get the next Elder Scrools game.

The biggest one, to me, is the busted combat system. I hate to be the, "In *my* day, games were just so..." guy, but it really is neccesary to compare the simplistic combat system here to the complexity that was possible in BG2 or Icewind Dale. The system did, I must admit, have a bit of a learning curve: I fear it may be deemed too 'clever and complicated'.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#148 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:55 PM

Yeah, I stopped playing it as well (although not for the reasons you did). After a while, the immersion started to fade away and the lack of a REALLY good story was eating at me. I like my RPGs with character development (motivation, motivation, motivation!) and plot twists. This was just a game with really good graphics and a bunch of fetch quests (although most of them were at least relatively interesting).

Baldur's Gate was okay but I haven't found a PCRPG that has wowed me since Planescape: Torment. It seems like most of the qualities I want from the genre come from console RPGs.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#149 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:44 AM

I stopped playing much earlier than you guys. My character wasn't nearly godlike, but I just got really, really bored. I might go back to it and try to improve my character but....I doubt it.
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users