Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Pedophile's sentence is too harsh!

Crime Punishment Pedophilia Moderator Action Warning

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:14 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jun 5 2006, 09:32 PM, said:

View PostShalamar, on Jun 5 2006, 05:22 PM, said:

Now imagine the simple act of turning away long enough to pick up a can of some thing and turning back - lets say ten seconds, or even half a minute...and they are gone - and in a noisy store like Walmart - there's no way you're going to hear them.

Oh I hear what you're saying. But when I was growing up it was impressed upon me that if you are going to leave the group, or the parent, you tell them where you're going. If you left and didn't inform where you were going...there was hell to pay.

Perhaps that's what happened here? Perhaps the girl told her mom she would be on the other isle...but it came across as the child just leaving.

Or the little girl lingered ...or just kept walking when mama stopped to look at something?  

My kids know to ask if they can go look at something...and like I said, I generally take an extra pair of eyes, whether family or friends.

You also have to educate your children not to go with anyone whether it is a person trying to get them out of the store or saying they will help them find mama.  

Mine know that if they do get separated from me or our group to find an employee of the store.  Do not go out the door with anyone but me or the other adult with us (like I said, usually family).  And if that person tries to get you to go out the door, refuse to do it.  Scream, throw a fit, whatever it takes to get attention.  

Even if people think it's just a kid pitching a fit, they will look.  And most kidnappers do not want the attention.

Edited by trikay, 05 June 2006 - 06:16 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#42 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:15 PM

View Posttrikay, on Jun 5 2006, 07:02 PM, said:

One little boy, about 9 yrs old, showed up at my house to play and I asked when he had to check in at home. He said 'oh, about dark'. :eek4:   This was at 9am!!  That leaves a whole lot of time for something bad to happen to him.

I hear that. When my friend and his Wife were staying at my place for a time, his wife's sister came to visit. She had 3 children. They visited for about a month. During that time her children met and became friends with the other children in the area.

Now after her sister and the children leave, I'm at home one day and I turn around and there is this little girl in my living room. About 5 or 6 years old. She asks for Thomas...who was about her age at that time. I told her that he had gone back home with his mom. She asks if she can stay and watch tv. I asked if her mother or father knew where she was. She said yes.

I was about to let her watch tv when I hear a woman screaming out a name outside. I go to the door and ask if she if looking for a little girl. The woman says "Yes, a 6 year old with brown hair." I told her she was in my living room wanting to watch tv.

How that little girl got away from her mom was beyond me. But it did shock me. If that little girl had walked into one of these perverts homes....I don't even want to think about it.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#43 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:19 PM

View Posttrikay, on Jun 5 2006, 07:14 PM, said:

And if that person tries to get you to go out the door, refuse to do it.  Scream, throw a fit, whatever it takes to get attention.  

Even if people think it's just a kid pitching a fit, they will look.  And most kidnappers do not want the attention.

While good advice, in today's world not sure that would help much. MSNBC did a report on child kidnappers. They had a little girl, the producers daughter or something. And they hired this guy to pretend to take the child on a busy street. The actor came, grabbed the child roughly by the arm, the child started screaming "Help me! you're not my daddy!". And for the most part the people on the street did nothing. They turned and looked, but most didn't even use their cell phones to call 9-11.

Not sure how many times they did it before 3 men decided to intervene and prevent the actor from leaving with the kid.

It was frightening.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#44 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:57 PM

The kid likely did not tell her mother what was going on. Or if she had a handful of them misplaced one. It happens.  if the mother had given the child away or done anything to help the guy hurt the kids I would gladly jump up and down on this woman till she was a fine paste.

I think she needs a warning but to be real we do not know what the kid was up to.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#45 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:18 PM

The woman was handling 3 children... 2 girls and 1 boy...

Police say Richard Decca was arrested Saturday after he led the girl out of the store to a car in the parking lot while her mother, brother and sister were shopping in the next aisle.

"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#46 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:21 PM

For those here who have mentioned a potential death sentence for child molesters....

Death Penalty for Sex Offenders

Oklahoma became the fifth state to allow the death penalty for sex crimes against children Friday, a day after South Carolina enacted a similar law.

The constitutionality of the new laws is unclear.
The Oklahoma measure, signed into law by Gov. Brad Henry, a Democrat, makes people found guilty of rape and other sex crimes more than once against children younger than 14 eligible for the death penalty.

The South Carolina law also requires multiple offenses, but against children younger than 11.

The other states with such laws are Florida, Louisiana and Montana.

In 2003, a Louisianan, Patrick O. Kennedy, was sentenced to death under a law enacted in 1995 that allows the death penalty for the rape of a child younger than 12.

His case is working its way through the courts.

Edited by trikay, 10 June 2006 - 10:24 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#47 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:14 AM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Jun 5 2006, 11:15 PM, said:

View Posttrikay, on Jun 5 2006, 07:02 PM, said:

One little boy, about 9 yrs old, showed up at my house to play and I asked when he had to check in at home. He said 'oh, about dark'. :eek4:   This was at 9am!!  That leaves a whole lot of time for something bad to happen to him.

I hear that. When my friend and his Wife were staying at my place for a time, his wife's sister came to visit. She had 3 children. They visited for about a month. During that time her children met and became friends with the other children in the area.

Now after her sister and the children leave, I'm at home one day and I turn around and there is this little girl in my living room. About 5 or 6 years old. She asks for Thomas...who was about her age at that time. I told her that he had gone back home with his mom. She asks if she can stay and watch tv. I asked if her mother or father knew where she was. She said yes.

I was about to let her watch tv when I hear a woman screaming out a name outside. I go to the door and ask if she if looking for a little girl. The woman says "Yes, a 6 year old with brown hair." I told her she was in my living room wanting to watch tv.

How that little girl got away from her mom was beyond me. But it did shock me. If that little girl had walked into one of these perverts homes....I don't even want to think about it.

:eek4:

The mind boggles...

When I was little, my mother told me never to speak to strangers, and never to scream unless it was an emergency, such as being hurt or, you know, possibly being kidnapped.  To this day, and I am fairly well into my 20s, I still am extremely reluctant to speak with people I don't know when I'm outside.  (Of course, this has its own effect on my social life. :p )

Is this extremely basic safety fact, about as basic as looking before you cross the street, not being covered?  I sometimes have kids say hi to me when I'm walking up the street and even when their parents are there in the yard or whatever, I'm usually wondering, okay... you are small enough for me to pick up and you are right next to me... how do you know I'm not a female perv?

Or am I treating this as too important?  (Straying a bit from the subject, I realize...)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#48 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 06:23 PM

View PostAnakam, on Jun 11 2006, 02:14 AM, said:

Or am I treating this as too important?  (Straying a bit from the subject, I realize...)

I don't think you are. Some parents are probably more easy going. By this I mean teaching kids to look for the good in everyone. Which, by itself isn't a bad thing. In fact it's a good quality. But at that age it can lead to some scary situations. You teach a child that, you can't be surprised when they walk upto a stranger and start a conversation.

When I was growing up there was a rumor, only a rumor, about a guy pretending to be a cop approaching kids. My mother told me that even if a person saying they were a cop wanted to talk to me I was to send them to the house. Under no circumstances was I to get anywhere near them.

come to think of it...perhaps that's why me and police officers don't get along today.  ;) j/k

Seriously though, in todays world you have to be extra careful in watching kids.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Punishment, Pedophilia, Moderator Action, Warning

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users