~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

Jack, The Doctor and Rose have been kidnapped and forced to play terrible and deadly games. But what happens to the bodies of the murdered contestants? And what sinister plot do the games hide?

Indeed and what's with all the lupus nocens stuff?

-cs™

Edited by Smitty, 01 June 2006 - 06:07 PM.

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:22 PM

Beware of the defabulator.  :D
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:30 PM

The Doctor, Rose and Captain Jack, the 3 little pigs?

Rose Red, not to be confused with the Stephen King book, she is wearing a red hoody.

-cs™

#4 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

That is The Weakest Link.  :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Smitty

Smitty

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:05 PM

Don't foget there's a Bad Wolf in both Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs.

Either way there is a connection.

-cs™

#6 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

View PostSmitty, on Jun 1 2006, 09:05 PM, said:

Don't foget there's a Bad Wolf in both Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs.

Either way there is a connection.

-cs™

Then there's Viriginia Woolf.  :D Peter met one as well. And there's RHW as well.  :D

#7 Smitty

Smitty

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:40 AM

There you go!

Lon Chaney was The Wolf Man.

-cs™

#8 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:06 PM

View PostDWF, on Jun 1 2006, 07:47 PM, said:

That is The Weakest Link.  :lol:

Don't say too much 'til it's been Whobie-fied. :lol:-

#9 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:17 PM

This is a fun, yet very serious epsode. I love it. :cool:
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#10 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:50 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on Jun 2 2006, 06:17 PM, said:

I was actually kind of bored of it the first time I saw it, but the music in the big reveal scene is fantastic.  :cool:

#11 Nialla

Nialla
  • Islander
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:45 PM

View PostDWF, on Jun 1 2006, 07:22 PM, said:

Beware of the defabulator.  :D

I dunno, I rather liked it.  :love:
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffled their pockets for new vocabulary."
~ James D. Nicoll

#12 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:08 PM

Whobies, here's a little taste of next week:

Spoiler: click to show/hide
"They survived through me!"

Edited by Drax, 02 June 2006 - 09:09 PM.

#13 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:13 PM

View PostDWF, on Jun 2 2006, 07:50 PM, said:

I was actually kind of bored of it the first time I saw it, but the music in the big reveal scene is fantastic.  :cool:
I didn't really find it boring. It was a bit slow but it's well worth it for the reveal at the end. :cool:

#14 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:19 PM

Stupid reality game shows are an easy target, but the satire is fairly enjoyable.  Jack and the robot ladies were a hoot. (Jack is never fazed by anything, is he?)

I'm afraid that I've always found massed Daleks chattering about extermination to be a bit less threatening than they need to be (unlike the chilling lond Dalek in "Dalek") but the Doctor's bold pronouncement at the end was . . . fantastic!

Cardie

Edited by Cardie, 02 June 2006 - 10:35 PM.

Nothing succeeds like excess.

#15 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

View PostCardie, on Jun 2 2006, 10:19 PM, said:

I'm afraid that I've always found massed Daleks chattering about extermination to be a bit less threatening than they need to be (unlike the chilling lond Dalek in "Dalek") but the Doctor's bod pronouncement at the end was . . . fantastic!

Cardie

The Daleks do more than just threaten destruction and death.  ;)

#16 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:23 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on Jun 2 2006, 10:13 PM, said:

View PostDWF, on Jun 2 2006, 07:50 PM, said:

I didn't really find it boring. It was a bit slow but it's well worth it for the reveal at the end. :cool:

Well when I first saw it, it was a group session where we watched the final four eps. of the season on a hot summer day, in a darkened room so I had gotten alittle tired by the time I saw this one, but I was wide awake for the finale.  ;)

#17 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

View PostDWF, on Jun 2 2006, 10:23 PM, said:

Well when I first saw it, it was a group session where we watched the final four eps. of the season on a hot summer day, in a darkened room so I had gotten alittle tired by the time I saw this one, but I was wide awake for the finale.  ;)
Ah, okay. Gotcha. ;)

#18 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:31 PM

Hmm, wasn't as impressive as I'd expected.  The reliance on contemporary reality/game shows is going to hurt it in the long run, since viewers in the future won't remember who Anne Robinson was or get the other references; for that matter, the Weakest Link craze has been dead in the States for so long that I doubt a lot of US viewers understood the "Anne Droid" reference.  And since I don't watch reality shows, a lot of this was lost on me.  (And what show were those fashion robots based on? Or was that Cyber Eye for the Organic Guy?  Ah, never mind -- Wikipedia says it was What Not to Wear.)

The "deadly game show" aspect was too much like "Vengeance on Varos."  I think there was a Missing Adventures novel along similar lines, Killing Games.  And in this one, the satire of media culture wasn't as effective because it never really went anywhere and got sidetracked into the "hidden manipulator behind the scenes" business.

Still, it had its good points.  The idea of the Doctor's actions turning out to have such negative consequences is a nice twist, and continues the theme that's been explored in several episodes this season, particularly the previous episode "Boom Town"; while that one explored the consequences of the Doctor's actions on a personal scale, this did so on a global scale.

Seeing it months after the fact, and knowing the casting for next season, undermined the impact of Rose's apparent death; but I was able to appreciate their cleverness in making Lynda-with-a-Y appear like a potential new companion in order to make it more credible that they might really kill Rose off.  Still, now that we know Rose is alive, I wouldn't say much for Lynda's chances of survival.

Of course I loved the nostalgic touch on the Dalek ship, the reuse of the classic "Dalek Control Room" sound effect from the original series, going all the way back to their first-ever appearance (that low-pitched "boop-boop, boop-boop" sound, sort of an electronic heartbeat).  Even if I hadn't known in advance who the bad guys were, that sound effect would've given it away.

But about the Daleks being the bad guys... I don't get it.  The Daleks are ruthless, malevolent, xenophobic, sadistic, monomaniacal, homicidal.  At times they've been devious and calculating.  But now Russell Davies seems to be asking us to believe they're capable of whimsy.  Why would they manipulate events to make the phrase "Bad Wolf," a reference to a fairy-tale character, follow the Doctor through history?  (Not to mention how.)  And why would they be behind this Byzantine thing with game shows?  Well, I'm willing to grant that that part wasn't their idea -- that they just allowed humanity to develop its own bad habits and managed to twist them into something worse.  Even so, the whole thing seems out of character for the Daleks.

Well, I guess we'll find out more next week.  Maybe that will make some more sense of it.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#19 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:40 PM

Well, yeah, knowing certain folks come back next season is going to diminish the impact of the finale a bit....maybe ya shouldn't of spoiled yerself, then, eh? :p

As to your questions....all will be revealed. Stay tuned... ;)

#20 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:40 PM

But about the Daleks being the bad guys... I don't get it. The Daleks are ruthless, malevolent, xenophobic, sadistic, monomaniacal, homicidal. At times they've been devious and calculating. But now Russell Davies seems to be asking us to believe they're capable of whimsy. Why would they manipulate events to make the phrase "Bad Wolf," a reference to a fairy-tale character, follow the Doctor through history? (Not to mention how.) And why would they be behind this Byzantine thing with game shows? Well, I'm willing to grant that that part wasn't their idea -- that they just allowed humanity to develop its own bad habits and managed to twist them into something worse. Even so, the whole thing seems out of character for the Daleks.

If that's what you think is going on you're in for quite a surprise or two next week, several surprises in fact and the truth behind the long game.  :devil:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, Doctor Who: Series 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users