#41 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

View PostDelvo, on Jun 3 2006, 05:04 PM, said:

View PostChristopher, on Jun 2 2006, 10:31 PM, said:

But about the Daleks being the bad guys... I don't get it.  The Daleks are ruthless, malevolent, xenophobic, sadistic, monomaniacal, homicidal.  At times they've been devious and calculating.  But now Russell Davies seems to be asking us to believe they're capable of whimsy.  Why would they manipulate events to make the phrase "Bad Wolf," a reference to a fairy-tale character, follow the Doctor through history?  (Not to mention how.)  And why would they be behind this Byzantine thing with game shows?  Well, I'm willing to grant that that part wasn't their idea -- that they just allowed humanity to develop its own bad habits and managed to twist them into something worse.  Even so, the whole thing seems out of character for the Daleks.
Did you hear the comments along the way about the station's gadgetry being wired some unusual way that made it evident that it was doing a lot more than just broadcasting shows, and see the scene at the end when it was revealed that this was because it was actively (putting energy into) hiding the Dalek fleet, as if by "broadcasting" what Trek would have called a "cloaking field"?

All we really know the Daleks were getting out of this or cared about is the cover for their fleet. The rest of it could have causes outside of themselves or be just a part of how they accomplish that goal. (For example, the TV shows make a nifty cover story for their real use of the station, and they don't have to be the ones who decided what content the shows would consist of, or if they did then it might have been what they calculated what would keep the locals the most complacent.)

What do they need to hide the fleet for? If they've taken bad losses, they could have switched tactics like any good military force, deciding that they need to first rebuild in safety before they can re-engage.

Christopher is also thinking that the Daleks are behind the whole Bad Wolf thing. :whistle: Everything in the season comes to a head in the finale and the Dalek's behavior will be explained and it's something of a shocker. :cool:

Edited by DWF, 03 June 2006 - 05:24 PM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#42 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:18 AM

Daleks aren't behind the Bad Wolf stuff!

It's
Spoiler: click to show/hide
Hahahahaha! Yeah right I'm gonna tell you!
as a way to
Hahahahaha! Fool you once shame on me fool you twice shame on you.
and all will be well.

Anyhoo, I am curious why all the simulations were based on shows from the late 20th/early 21st century. Did Adam's memories worm their way into Satellite 5's systems when he interfaced with the computer in Long Game?

Or is it just a big fat coincidence?

-cs™

#43 Smitty

Smitty

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:33 AM

View PostDWF, on Jun 3 2006, 08:18 AM, said:

View PostChristopher, on Jun 3 2006, 09:15 AM, said:

Literally, a defabulator would be something that removes fables, or that makes something less fabled.  So I guess the main people who'd be threatened by such a device would be Aesop and the Brothers Grimm.

I mispelled it.  :blush:  A defabulator would be the ultimate weapon against the Thunderbirds.  :lol:
Or The Beatles or Duran Duran, the cast of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy drummer Fabrizio Moretti of The Strokes, rapper Fabolous & Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley.

-cs™

#44 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:43 AM

All I know is that I abso frellin' lutely loved it.  And no it's not just because of my last name.  :halo:

Lil
Posted Image

#45 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:44 PM

You mean you're...?

#46 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:10 PM

De-Fabulous.  Which is like De-Lovely, only... well, you get the point.

#47 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:46 PM

Awwwwwwwwwww.  :wub:  

Lil
Posted Image

#48 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:05 PM

The ratings are in.

Ratings for the twelfth episode of the first season of the new series, Bad Wolf, on US television on the Sci Fi Channel, have come in: the telecast dropped a bit to a 1.02 household rating with an average of 1.3 million viewers, down from the previous broadcast ("Boom Town") two weeks before and the smallest average audience to date for a Doctor Who original this season. The show was on a week-long hiatus, with viewers possibly tuning out after the lack of a broadcast the week before. Season-to-date, Sci Fi reports that Doctor Who is currently averaging a 1.27 household rating and an average audience of 1.5 million viewers for the season. The season finale airs this Friday, June 9.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#49 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:09 PM

This was a pretty good episode. A bit cheesy at times but mostly effective. The next one is even better. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#50 Flechette

Flechette
  • Islander
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:48 PM

I love this episode -  then again I've loved all of them :love:

I've got some speculations about the finale that I'm putting spoilers around just in case I'm anywhere near the truth....

OKay the phrase Bad Wolf has been echoing thru the entire show.  I think the TARDIS has something to do with it.  The Doctor said even he doesn't know what the Heart is capable of and is partially sentient.  It does have mental powers so it could possibly make people say or write it BAD WOLF.   As I see it  either the Doctor, Rose or TARDIS has to be responsible for the continual warning, they're the only ones there everytime - and of those 3 only TARDIS has the ability.  (hubby says I'm nuts)   OTOH I don't have anything to support HOW the TARDIS would know to do this... so... well  .....  I never said it was perfect logical speculation........:lol:

2nd option - for some reason another time traveler is warning/taunting them.  (hubby's opinion).  Simple, logical and the support being the phrase usage itself.

but - but -  darn it!  the Doctor's comment in  Boom Town just struck me as so pointed- TPTB made such a point of TARDIS's abilities right before the end of the season- surely there was a reason to do so? :alert:

and drats! :cry:  I would know who's right - if either of us are - til Sunday the earliest.....

#51 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:13 PM

^ Ya'll are in fer a big surprise. :D

#52 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:52 PM

View PostDrax, on Jun 8 2006, 03:13 PM, said:

^ Ya'll are in fer a big surprise. :D
That's for sure. :wideeyed:

Of course, it's one of those surprises that you'll probably either love or absolutely hate. ;)
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#53 Smitty

Smitty

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:10 PM

I had recorded it last Friday and I watched it again late last night.

During Rose's experience in Weakest Link the answer to one of the questions was Torchwood.

-cs™

#54 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

View PostSmitty, on Jun 9 2006, 08:10 PM, said:

I had recorded it last Friday and I watched it again late last night.

During Rose's experience in Weakest Link the answer to one of the questions was Torchwood.

-cs™

Yes a Torchwood reference before Torchwood was even announced.  ;)

#55 Smitty

Smitty

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:11 AM

"Officially" ;);) who wrote this ep? Russell Davies!

But I'm sure it's just a big cowinkydink. :)

-cs™

#56 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:33 AM

Ah, begone wid ye, whippersnappers standing 'round knowing what ye be talking about!

For the rest of us, standing here confused: I did a bit o' looking-up, and...

Probably unnecessary spoiler, but better safe than sorry
"Torchwood" is to be a Dr. Who Spin-off, starring Captain Jack. The title is an anagram of "Doctor Who" and was used as a code name during this season's planning and production, to protect it from the eerie protoplasmic grasp of fans willing to beg, borrow or steal any hint of advance info or footage.

Edited by Orpheus, 10 June 2006 - 09:36 AM.

#57 Smitty

Smitty

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:59 PM

Oh yeah old news to us wise Orpheus, but thanks anyway.

But a nice bit of news for the uninitiated.

-cs™

#58 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:35 AM

Well, perhaps I was the only one who thought (without realizing it) that Torchwood was a proposed Deadwood spin-off :)

#59 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:45 AM

^^Did you also think that Deadwood was the sequel to Ed Wood? :D
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#60 Smitty

Smitty

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:50 PM

So  what about morning wood?

:( See what you made me do!

-cs™

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, Doctor Who: Series 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users