• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:22 PM

A reality check for those arguing that they don't see a climate of discrimination:

Kevin Aviance, an A-List Drag Queen with Billboard dance hits on his sheet, was first taunted and, then, viciously beaten by a pack of 7-10 thugs after leaving The Phoenix, a (crappy) bar about 10 blocks from my apt Saturday nigh.  Throughout, his attackers were heard yelling, "we're gonna kill you, faggot!"  And (inexplicably), "You're not diesel!"  (Can anyone shed light on that?)

This did not happen in Laramie, Wyoming.  This happened in Manhattan's East Village--one of the most tolerant, progressive places on the face of the Earth.  (At least one of the attackers, a 16 year old, lives right down the street from me.)

Is it just coincidence that this happened at the tail end of a week when the President of the United States told the world that gays are "corrosive to society?"  Probably.  But, then again, maybe not.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#122 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:26 AM

View Post_ph, on Jun 12 2006, 07:22 PM, said:

And (inexplicably), "You're not diesel!"  (Can anyone shed light on that?)
"Diesel" means muscular, physically strong, I think. So I would assume they meant something like, "You think you're tough, but you're not." Typical macho-idiot posturing.

#123 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:33 AM

Derivations:

Anti-lesbian epithets:

“Russian Truck Driver,” cir 1940-60’s  => "Diesel Dyke,” 50’s- current.

Most often used to denote a lesbian taking the male role, with a bulky male physical like build, and usually combative...

I’ve not heard it used by gay bashers to denote males trying to protect gays under attack. But then my info; is a bit dated.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#124 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:43 PM

View Postemsparks, on Jun 13 2006, 11:33 AM, said:

I’ve not heard it used by gay bashers to denote males trying to protect gays under attack. But then my info; is a bit dated.
It's not a specifically homophobic term in this context, near as my half-assed Internet research can determine. Just generic slang for "buff or physically strong."

Supposedly that's why a well-muscled gentleman named Mark Vincent decided to change his name to Vin Diesel.

Edited by Dev F, 13 June 2006 - 12:45 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Senate, Constitutional Amendment, Ban on Gay Marriage, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users